Author Topic: Whose next?  (Read 1910 times)

Offline Lizard3

• Silver Member
Whose next?
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2001, 05:36:00 PM »
Iwas wondering...are ya'll talkin bout sturm calling himself "staffelkapitaen"? Is that the "rank" yer sqwaukin about? Geez, any turnip truck idjit knows thats a title and not a rank. A good translation would be: CO
Back in my Navy Days, I was a member of VF-2. The CO of VF-2 was called Captain...anyone ever hear of "captains mast"?...anyway, point is, He werent no Captain. Germy Group commanders were known as Geschwaderkommodore, but were no more a Kommodore than you or I. Its a title...mayhaps thats where the confusion lies.    

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
Whose next?
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2001, 07:06:00 PM »

Originally posted by AKDejaVu:
The only thing I dislike more than "my stats make me more right" is the "you don't agree with me.. let's duel" debate.
[/b]

You'll note that I didn't advocate this approach either.  In my experience with online flight sims over the years, regardless of rank, points, or the like, the players who are the cream of the crop earn the respect, admiration, or fear of others regardless of their score.  Word gets around.

BTW, if you read through all this drivel you'll notice that Sturm never said his score/ranking made him any better or any worse... he simply mentioned it.  Only after his "rank" (LW title) came up.  His score was then immediately scrutinized by somene "that doesn't care about score" and it was then used to criticize him.  The silliness is quite apparent.
[/b]

Having a high score is no worse a crime than having a low score.  I think any mention of it in a comparative context is silly, regardless of who brings it up.  Also, just because someone has a high score doesn't necessarily mean they fly for score.  Way back when, maybe in the 2nd or 3rd Tour, I miraculously managed to finish 3rd or 4th in the overall rankings by pure happenstance, not by desire.  So pilots of all skill levels populate all different levels of ranks and statistics.  That's exactly why they're so useless when comparing pilots.

Nobody is trying to argue that score makes you more right on this forum, tho many seem to argue that it can make you less right.
[/b]

If you're using score to claim you're better than someone or to suggest that someone lacks skill, then yes... you are wrong.  There's nothing wrong with you posting stats or ranks beyond that, though realize that you'll probably be the only one impressed by them.

-- Todd/DMF

AKSeaWulfe

Whose next?
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2001, 07:39:00 PM »

-SW

Offline Hobodog

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.military.com
Whose next?
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2001, 08:02:00 PM »
To encorage good behavior perks should be givin out for helping newbies, making meaningfull post, and not makeing SPs.

lazs

Whose next?
« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2001, 09:24:00 AM »
"Having a high score is no worse a crime than having a low score. I think any mention of
                     it in a comparative context is silly, regardless of who brings it up. Also, just because
                     someone has a high score doesn't necessarily mean they fly for score. Way back when,
                     maybe in the 2nd or 3rd Tour, I miraculously managed to finish 3rd or 4th in the overall
                     rankings by pure happenstance, not by desire. So pilots of all skill levels populate all
                     different levels of ranks and statistics. That's exactly why they're so useless when
                     comparing pilots."

DMF... has put it perfectly.  Obviously someone who has been around the block a few times.   I find exactly the same thing.  

In what hooligan mentions as the 'avin' ratio and another one, yak or something a couple of guys tried with different means to "rank" pilots in WB.   I asked both guys privately to be left out of their score systems and both seemd amazed... They even went so far as to say "but why, you are doing good by my score system?"  They didn't get it.   If i did score high it was pure "hapenstance" and the next time i would be doing something else and not score at all.  Would I be less skilled?  Was I more skilled before?  I simply didn't and don't want to participate.  I do however, find the stats interesting and useful on a personal level and say the more things tracked the better.

DMF is obviously right also about people earning respect for ability and word getting around.  It even breaks down to some guys being more dangerous in particular kinds of fights or particular planes.  It becomes a little pitiful when someone has to tout his score in order to get the respect he should just let happen.

It would be like if I claimed that a smiley face in a post made you an idiot and the more smiley faces the more of an idiot you were.  Oh, wait.... that one works.  nevermind.
lazs