Author Topic: Will a SSD help game play  (Read 446 times)

Offline Flifast

• Copper Member
      • Claim Jumpers
Will a SSD help game play
« on: January 26, 2013, 01:05:36 PM »
Just want to know if I should invest in one?  How would I load the OS without a disc?  Can I just copy from my current HD?

Thanks

Flifast

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Will a SSD help game play
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 01:17:54 PM »
This has been discussed on the Hardware and Software several times. Yes, you can copy - clone is a better term - your OS from your current HD, but the results may vary. A clean install is always clean...

AFAIK it will load your game faster, but the gameplay itself will not improve that much. If you suck, you suck. If you're good, you'll be good with a P4@2.4GHz + Radeon 9800, flying with a mouse.

That means, your ping time is dependent on your net connections, your framerate on your video card and your suckage on your level of skills.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 08:50:53 AM »
I do not recommend playing the game from an SSD, due to the number of small writes the game does.

It really does not buy you anything that a decently defragmented hard drive will not get you for the game.  If your hard drive is causing performance issues, then disable "Windows Indexing" and "Superfetch".  Of course, if you are running an anti-xxx software package, then it may the root cause of hard drive performance issues as well.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 03:57:48 PM »
I do not recommend playing the game from an SSD, due to the number of small writes the game does.

It really does not buy you anything that a decently defragmented hard drive will not get you for the game.  If your hard drive is causing performance issues, then disable "Windows Indexing" and "Superfetch".  Of course, if you are running an anti-xxx software package, then it may the root cause of hard drive performance issues as well.

Pray tell, what is an "anti-xxx software package"? :headscratch:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 03:58:39 PM »
anti-virus, anti-malware, anti-computer.....
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 04:01:19 PM »
Pray tell, what is an "anti-xxx software package"? :headscratch:

any anti virus/malware type software such as bit defender, McAfee, Microsoft Essentials, etc...

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 04:02:40 PM »
Thanks Skuzzy, I am now better informed!  :aok
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76