Author Topic: looking at a new computer  (Read 8605 times)

Offline f35raptor

• Copper Member
looking at a new computer
« on: February 06, 2013, 03:26:01 PM »
I was down at the pawn shop the other day and they had this emachines computer for 170 dollors or so.

Here is what i got off the box

Amd atholon II x2 220 dule processor

3 gb memory

1 tb harddrive

It reads wrights cds dvds

Its got the windows 7

El13585 51w computer modle?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 05:10:34 PM by f35raptor »

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: looking at a new computer
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 05:02:34 PM »
Good luck playing any kind of games with that.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 05:15:31 PM »
It also has a PSU in it that is like taking a time-delayed firebomb into your home.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 05:18:00 PM »
offer 100 bucks but first see if it has a genuine windows sticker in the back along with the code.  then use the code, cd and hd on your next buildt :).

midway

Offline f35raptor

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 05:38:27 PM »
So its not going to be any good then is it. To run aces high?

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 08:31:42 PM »
So its not going to be any good then is it. To run aces high?

A big nope. Stay away from eMachines. The $150-ish PCs are good for your grandma browsing her Internet, and not a whole lot more.

If you can take the time to build a PC, you can get a cheap one that will run AH with most settings on for $300-400. There are some pre built PCs that'll run AH perfectly fine too, but there's not a whole lot of them that are reasonably priced either.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 11:08:58 PM »
Raptor,
 You could try looking at craigslist also.That computer is to old for your use. Even if you did buy it there is no upgrade path to it. Its deadend.

Try looking for AMD quad or intel like 8400 dual or around there.
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 12:34:57 AM »
Raptor,
 You could try looking at craigslist also.That computer is to old for your use. Even if you did buy it there is no upgrade path to it. Its deadend.

Try looking for AMD quad or intel like 8400 dual or around there.

an e8400 is way too old too.  I wouldnt look at anything less than an i3 or is7.

midway

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 01:43:05 AM »
That's not fair. The Core2Duo quads are still quite capable. Just because the i3 through i7 are better doesn't negate the quality of the C2D chips. I get what you're saying but if you're on a budget there are still plenty of socket 775 chips that run very well and will more than play AH or most games out there.

Offline f35raptor

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 01:51:20 AM »
So the question remains is going to be compatible with aces high or not? If it will run aces high and not slow down any id be fine with that. Cause the one i currently have only has a 64 mb video card? Would this be better?

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 06:42:26 AM »
That's not fair. The Core2Duo quads are still quite capable. Just because the i3 through i7 are better doesn't negate the quality of the C2D chips. I get what you're saying but if you're on a budget there are still plenty of socket 775 chips that run very well and will more than play AH or most games out there.

Not really better even. There are still scenarios in which the Core 2 Duo Q9650 Quad Core (and QX9650) blows most of the i7s away. I think only two CPUs performed better (under some circumstances) with certain applications.

I'm still sticking to the i7s because of the greater capacity of memory available.

Just saying.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 06:45:25 AM by Chalenge »
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 11:01:57 AM »
So the question remains is going to be compatible with aces high or not? If it will run aces high and not slow down any id be fine with that. Cause the one i currently have only has a 64 mb video card? Would this be better?
You didn't mention any kind of a video card in your original post...

The model you gave no replies in Google, but with some detective work I figured you might have meant EL1358G-51W. It has an nVidia GeForce 6150 SE integrated video circuit, which isn't suitable for AH. Don't buy that!

Despite what Guncrasher says, an Intel 8400 can run AH pretty well. I have one, plus a Radeon 3870 (512Mb) and 4 GB RAM, Win XP. It gives me 60 fps at lots more than default settings. I suppose serious gamers have long since abandoned rigs like mine, so if you're on a tight budget, look at net auctions or your neighbourhood pc builder shops for a decent project. Or shop at the  AH classifieds section
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline f35raptor

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 12:56:58 PM »
Ok thank you bizman. Im not that smart when it comes to computers.  Yes im on a budget but am lookinv for a decent computer tht will run aces high good.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 05:12:33 PM »
You didn't mention any kind of a video card in your original post...

The model you gave no replies in Google, but with some detective work I figured you might have meant EL1358G-51W. It has an nVidia GeForce 6150 SE integrated video circuit, which isn't suitable for AH. Don't buy that!

Despite what Guncrasher says, an Intel 8400 can run AH pretty well. I have one, plus a Radeon 3870 (512Mb) and 4 GB RAM, Win XP. It gives me 60 fps at lots more than default settings. I suppose serious gamers have long since abandoned rigs like mine, so if you're on a tight budget, look at net auctions or your neighbourhood pc builder shops for a decent project. Or shop at the  AH classifieds section

i never said it wouldnt play ah.  what I meant is that if you gonna spend the money on a used system get an i3 or i7 (sandy bridge).  on used systems there wont be much difference in price  but you get a faster cpu.

midway