Author Topic: looking at a new computer  (Read 8690 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: looking at a new computer
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2013, 11:15:45 AM »
Ignore the alarmists.

You ignore everyone that uses windows far more than you and has a differing opionion, then you dismiss them as being alarmist.

There's a difference.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2013, 12:58:36 PM »
You ignore everyone that uses windows far more than you and has a differing opionion, then you dismiss them as being alarmist.

There's a difference.

Your hate is blinding you. Get over it, seriously.  :O
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2013, 02:07:12 PM »
Your hate is blinding you. Get over it, seriously.  :O

you already acknowledged you dont use windows except to push a button to play a game.  now you claim to be an expert on it.

midway
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline dhaus

• Copper Member
« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2013, 03:23:35 PM »
Not sure how giving my honest opinion on 8 and 7 is alarmist. I've used both.  Cussed at 8 not at 7.  You say ignore the alarmists, then tell us to use an add on and to tweak 8 "so you'll barely notice it's not 7."  If the User interface of 8 was so good why are there add-ons and tweaks to make it just like 7?  Stating fact, as krusty has done, is not blind hatred.  You dismissed negative comments on 8 - including skuzzy's - on the win8 thread in similar fashion. RPM- looks like there are some tips on how to make win8 easier to use in the desktop environment.  If the new rig is replacing an aging system that suffers framerate hits at the lowest settings, you will love it!

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2013, 06:51:51 PM »
Actually my old system is an AMD 64x2 2.6G, 4G, Radeon 4770, 750W running Vista. I have no problems with frame rate. I can get steady 60fps with moderately high settings, but the CPU is dying. I even installed a new hi volume cooler master and the thing still overheats sitting idle. Could probably get away with just swapping CPUs but I bought it in '07 for about $500, so I feel I got my money's worth out of it.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2013, 02:31:17 AM »
Actually my old system is an AMD 64x2 2.6G, 4G, Radeon 4770, 750W running Vista. I have no problems with frame rate. I can get steady 60fps with moderately high settings, but the CPU is dying. I even installed a new hi volume cooler master and the thing still overheats sitting idle. Could probably get away with just swapping CPUs but I bought it in '07 for about $500, so I feel I got my money's worth out of it.
Out of professional curiosity: How do you determine the CPU is dying? I have bought and used PC-check but mostly in vain. The only working method for finding a failing CPU has been swapping and even that doesn't work if the glitches are minor and happen at random intervals. So please, if you have a diagnostics tool for CPU, I'd like to know. BTW instead of CPU, most often random glitches on eldering computers have been due to a failing PSU, followed by aged motherboard capacitors during these eight years I've worked on various household computers.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2013, 04:13:43 AM »
you already acknowledged you dont use windows except to push a button to play a game.  now you claim to be an expert on it.

midway

ROFLOL! Did I already say you're blinded by your warrantless hate? I'm a professional with computers. I do this stuff for living lol. At my home use I use windows solely for gaming and there my needs are pretty much limited to what you described. Windows 8 has served me exceptionally well in gaming use. I am however required to get a deeper knowledge of Windows 8 for professional reasons.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2013, 04:18:20 AM »
Not sure how giving my honest opinion on 8 and 7 is alarmist. I've used both.  Cussed at 8 not at 7.  You say ignore the alarmists, then tell us to use an add on and to tweak 8 "so you'll barely notice it's not 7."  If the User interface of 8 was so good why are there add-ons and tweaks to make it just like 7?  Stating fact, as krusty has done, is not blind hatred.  You dismissed negative comments on 8 - including skuzzy's - on the win8 thread in similar fashion. RPM- looks like there are some tips on how to make win8 easier to use in the desktop environment.  If the new rig is replacing an aging system that suffers framerate hits at the lowest settings, you will love it!

*Sigh* you can make Win8 to look and perform pretty much like Win7 BUT IT IS A DIFFERENT OPERATING SYSTEM! Get it?

The user interface can be circumvented if you don't like it, this was the point. For many the new interface does not pose a problem. For the ones with computer version of Aspergers syndrome the change of UI can cause raging panic/anger attacks :D

The negative comments are coming from people who have little to no personal experience on actually using Win8 and repeat the same worn out mantras they've learned from the internet. It's about as productive as listening to people who have never used macs bash on them. They just don't know what they're talking about, simple as that.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 04:23:46 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2013, 04:27:10 AM »
ROFLOL! Did I already say you're blinded by your warrantless hate? I'm a professional with computers. I do this stuff for living lol. At my home use I use windows solely for gaming and there my needs are pretty much limited to what you described. Windows 8 has served me exceptionally well in gaming use. I am however required to get a deeper knowledge of Windows 8 for professional reasons.
Chill, he claimed before that AMD cards wont work with Intel CPUs...  ;)
AoM
City of ice

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2013, 04:43:10 AM »
Chill, he claimed before that AMD cards wont work with Intel CPUs...  ;)

you also claimed you were leaving the game.

midway
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2013, 06:05:26 AM »
Good sir, go, hunt down Debrody's 190  :aok

Good luck!  ;)
AoM
City of ice

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2013, 06:33:11 AM »
I wonder whether who's disappearance is coincidental of debrody's??     :noid
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline dhaus

• Copper Member
« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2013, 07:29:24 AM »
RiplEy, I would take you seriously, but to do so would be an affront to your intelligence.  Whatever your supposed expertise in computers, you need some help in reading comprehension.  I do use win8 - my wife's laptop, remember?  Of course 8 is a different OS, I am discussing why I prefer 7 - in my experience.  Outside of a touch screen environment, the user interface of 8 is awful.  If it weren't so bad, there would be no reason for add-ons or tweaks to make the user interface "just like 7."  That is my point - get it?  I also researched 7 and 8 before getting my OS. Did 8 offer any benefits over 7 that made living with 8 worth the aggravation?  For what I need, it does not.  I do not want to pay Microsoft to be a beta user and test their new OS.  I would rather get one that works fine, has all the bugs worked out and a user interface designed for the desktop environment.   If you want to be a Microsoft fanboy, go right ahead. But dismissing other's criticisms without taking the time to understand what that criticism is does not advance your cause.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 07:39:34 AM by dhaus »

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2013, 07:35:48 AM »
Out of professional curiosity: How do you determine the CPU is dying? I have bought and used PC-check but mostly in vain. The only working method for finding a failing CPU has been swapping and even that doesn't work if the glitches are minor and happen at random intervals. So please, if you have a diagnostics tool for CPU, I'd like to know. BTW instead of CPU, most often random glitches on eldering computers have been due to a failing PSU, followed by aged motherboard capacitors during these eight years I've worked on various household computers.
I determined the CPU is going bad because it keeps overheating and shutting down even with a new fan and PSU. Could be something else, but I don't care because I've got a new computer on the way.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline dhaus

• Copper Member
« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2013, 07:41:39 AM »
Hope you enjoy it!   :banana: :banana:  And let us know how cyberpower works out.  I've looked at them for a couple of years now.