Author Topic: Paint all?  (Read 1182 times)

Offline zes

• Zinc Member
Paint all?
« on: February 11, 2013, 04:19:13 PM »
Hi,

Sorry for this as I can't imagine this hasn't been asked many times before, but I'm having no luck finding it anywhere.

I'm learning the terrain editor and have succesfully imported a greyscale .bmp and have begun painting it with textures.
By default, the terrain is using the deep ocean texture and it seems that I have to erase the water to 'reveal'/paint a base grass texture using the brush.

My question - Is there a way to simply paint the entire terrain with another texture without having to drag the brush over the whole thing?

I have been learning some other game development tools (Unity and Unreal) and both of them let your own base texture.
Obviously, one would want to start with, say grass, if the bulk of the terrain is to be grass.  The map I hope to make has very little water.

Anyway...  Any help here would be appreciated and I hope to soon look back and understand what a ridiculous nooby question I'm asking. 

Thanks,
zes

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Paint all?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 05:47:18 PM »
Hi,

Sorry for this as I can't imagine this hasn't been asked many times before, but I'm having no luck finding it anywhere.

I'm learning the terrain editor and have succesfully imported a greyscale .bmp and have begun painting it with textures.
By default, the terrain is using the deep ocean texture and it seems that I have to erase the water to 'reveal'/paint a base grass texture using the brush.

My question - Is there a way to simply paint the entire terrain with another texture without having to drag the brush over the whole thing?

I have been learning some other game development tools (Unity and Unreal) and both of them let your own base texture.
Obviously, one would want to start with, say grass, if the bulk of the terrain is to be grass.  The map I hope to make has very little water.

Anyway...  Any help here would be appreciated and I hope to soon look back and understand what a ridiculous nooby question I'm asking. 

Thanks,
zes

I wish the TE ran like Unity or Unreal or Cryengine :x

I tried it, didn't have the Patience...good luck, sorry I don't know but I am sure you will get help soon

Offline zes

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 08:31:01 PM »
Thanks, Ink.  I know the TE is clunky.  I appreciate that they created such a thing in the first place and am willing to put up with a great deal.
But, unless I'm missing something (a bigger brush?) I don't relish touching the brush to every single pixel of a large map.

I guess the better way of asking this is -  Is there a single command to erase all water, thus revealing the base texture for the whole map?

Anyways, not a huge deal.  Just hoping someone can save me hours of tedium.

zes

Offline mrmidi

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 09:52:15 PM »
Under the file menu in the Terrain Editor select the "Export Water To Bitmap" option.
Once this is done close the Terrain Editor.
In your terrains root folder you will now see a new folder called "imptexpt".
Open the file named  "waterd.bmp" in that folder with Photoshop (warning it's a 16meg+ size file) and fill it with solid white.
Index value 255,255,255. Save the file as an indexed 8bit bitmap image. This will make it all land.

Next go back to your terrains root folder and open the "gndtype.bmp" file in Photoshop and fill it with index color 17,17,17 and save it as an indexed
8bit bitmap image.
This will paint it all "Grass".

Now go back and open the Terrain Editor again and load your terrain file. Then under the File menu select "Import Water" and once that is done
save your terrain and close the Terrain Editor and then start it back up and load your terrain again.
It should all be land with grass on it.
You can draw the water back in the places you might want it later.

Sorry I didn't reply earlier to your question...I was at work.

:salute
midi
In charge of nothing.
C.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
It is what it is!

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 10:01:13 PM »
Under the file menu in the Terrain Editor select the "Export Water To Bitmap" option.
Once this is done close the Terrain Editor.
In your terrains root folder you will now see a new folder called "imptexpt".
Open the file named  "waterd.bmp" in that folder with Photoshop (warning it's a 16meg+ size file) and fill it with solid white.
Index value 255,255,255. Save the file as an indexed 8bit bitmap image. This will make it all land.

Next go back to your terrains root folder and open the "gndtype.bmp" file in Photoshop and fill it with index color 17,17,17 and save it as an indexed
8bit bitmap image.
This will paint it all "Grass".

Now go back and open the Terrain Editor again and load your terrain file. Then under the File menu select "Import Water" and once that is done
save your terrain and close the Terrain Editor and then start it back up and load your terrain again.
It should all be land with grass on it.
You can draw the water back in the places you might want it later.

Sorry I didn't reply earlier to your question...I was at work.

midi

Ta daaaa
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline 68falcon

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 12:42:15 PM »
Ranger that's why he gets the big bucks   :neener: :bolt:
Commanding Officer
68th Lightning Lancers
Fear the Reaper no more. Fear the Lancers

Offline zes

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 04:20:45 PM »
Wow.  Thanks, mrmidi. I figured there had to be a way.

I'll try it later tonight. 

Much obliged,

zes

Offline mrmidi

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 08:28:47 PM »
No problem zes

In charge of nothing.
C.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"