Author Topic: Russia hit by meteor  (Read 2329 times)

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
Re: Russia hit by meteor
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2013, 07:48:57 PM »
I saw the videos and thought it was Chalenge or EAce rtbing for more fuel  :old:

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :aok
"There is absolutely no point discussing anything on the BBS, it's mostly populated by people who are right about everything, no one listens and everyone is just talking. People will argue over the shape of an egg." -Anonymous

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2013, 08:05:17 PM »
NASA is saying it was an asteroid about 50ft across, kicked out of the Asteroid Belt between Mars and Jupiter, probably was sent on its course that ended at Earth today for about a year, traveling at a speed of 40,000 kph.  Detonated 12-15 miles up with the force of a 0.3 megaton bomb. 

Came in with an unusually shallow trajectory, just like you see in all the movies.  Usually they're supposed to come in straight down more or less, and the movie version where it streaks across the sky is supposed to be a rarity.  I'm starting to think they could be mistaken on that point, because all the meteor movies are cross-sky streaks.  Granted those are easier to capture on film too.

The noise of the detonation in the YouTube videos is pretty spectacular.  I like this one, wish he'd hold the camera sideways though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=Np_mpGYSBSA .  It would be easy to think that you just got nuked, though I'd imagine an ICBM contrail would look different I suppose.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2013, 08:49:33 PM »
Shock waves are a biatch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=b7mLUIDGqmw

In Russia... Space explore YOU!
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2013, 08:59:11 PM »
Dang, must've been an amazing/scary experience to witness first hand. Wish I was there.  :eek:

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2013, 09:50:44 PM »
Wonder what it would of been like if it would of exploded only 1 mile above the surface?

Another question.....if the above would of happened with the estimated force of 300kt, would the russian defense system see that as an atomic weapon detonation and self-launch a counterstrike since it happened at nuclear defense site?
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2013, 10:11:17 PM »
Wonder what it would of been like if it would of exploded only 1 mile above the surface?

Another question.....if the above would of happened with the estimated force of 300kt, would the russian defense system see that as an atomic weapon detonation and self-launch a counterstrike since it happened at nuclear defense site?
At who?

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2013, 10:22:27 PM »
likely the us
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2013, 10:26:00 PM »
They should nuke Mars as an example.

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2013, 10:39:51 PM »
They should nuke Mars as an example.

Plot twist: The meteor was a Mars attack. Planetary battles anyone?

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2013, 11:12:07 PM »
In soviet russian you dont go to space, space come to you.
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline chaser

• Nickel Member
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2013, 12:30:33 AM »
San Fransisco's turn tonight! Anyone see it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLpTOc1i8_8&feature=youtu.be

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2013, 01:13:43 AM »
Maybe those bugs shot it at us? Where's Denise Richards and Rico when you need them?

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2013, 02:49:59 AM »

With all the re makes coming lately, i would welcome your plot.

Edit: $^%& thats already been done....
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline Sundowner

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2013, 04:36:15 AM »
Let's see...Earth near-miss by a 150 feet asteroid...Meteor explosion injures 1000 and damages buildings in Russia....fireball sighted over San Fransisco...and now an exploding fireball over Havana, Cuba...all in the same day.
Hmmm..... :headscratch:

“I cannot teach anybody anything, I can only make them think.”--Socrates

Regards,
Sun

Edit:Not all in the same day...Cuba fireball was Thursday night...some sources say Wednesday...exploding fireballs occurring 1 or 2 days apart happen all the time. :D---my bad.--Sun

Suspected meteor explosion reported in central Cuba

HAVANA, Feb. 15 (Xinhua) -- An object fell from the sky over central Cuba on Thursday night and turned into a fireball "bigger than the sun" before it exploded, a Cuban TV channel reported Friday, citing eyewitnesses.

Some residents in the central province of Cienfuegos were quoted as saying that at around 8 p.m. local time Thursday (0100 GMT Friday) they saw a bright spot in the sky comparable to a bus in size.

The object then turned into a fireball "bigger than the sun," said the witnesses, adding that several minutes later they heard a loud explosion.

One resident told the TV station that his house shook slightly in the blast.

Cuban experts have been dispatched to the area to look for possible remains of the meteor-like object, said the report.

It remains unknown whether the reported phenomenon in Cuba is related to Friday's meteor strike in central Russia, which set off a shockwave that shattered windows and left some 1,000 people injured.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/sci/2013-02/16/c_132171646.htm

« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 05:05:40 AM by Sundowner »
Freedom implies risk. Less freedom implies more risk.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2013, 06:00:17 AM »
Latest shot from Russian ground zero:

Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain