Author Topic: damping setting to fly f4u  (Read 1737 times)

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Re: damping setting to fly f4u
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2013, 02:58:24 PM »
 Turning off combat trim will "not" get rid of nose bounce!

What it does is stop the full up elevator trim that CT dials,often in when you drop flaps.This might help with some of the nose up bounce that happens as you try to counter the full up trim.

Not all nose bounce is up and down,often I see the rudder activated when players pull the trigger,with a twist rudder stick. I can often fly close behind a player and have him shoot and can see the unwanted inputs happening. Just a couple of weeks ago I noticed a longtime player was having this issue,so I closed in behind to see what was happening.

With this player he had rudder pedals so it was an elevator issue,we worked to get rid of the problem,he needed abit of deadpan and just a slight increase in dampening.

I was told by the player his hit percentage went up 2% in the following week!

There are so many different sticks and all players handle them differently so there's no magic setting,but with some time and experimentation most can smoothen out their flying.

YMMV.

:salute

Offline Orbitson

• Copper Member
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2013, 03:49:47 PM »
Trim Set is a command that trims your control surfaces to match the current stick and pedal position. Hold the controls in the desired position, press ".", then release the controls. Experiment offline or in the training arena. It will not work if trim is mapped to analog controls. For wings level trim you can just use the auto pilot modes but to set trim to a bank angle you need Trim Set.

This is working for me too.  In a F4U1A I actually got some hits on that slippery SIK1 last night in the TA.
I think it was enough to take him down, never know in the TA, but as we continued the fight he owned me.

:salute SIK
Syd*****Flying with The Floyd
By the way which one is Pink?

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2013, 05:54:10 PM »
This is working for me too.  In a F4U1A I actually got some hits on that slippery SIK1 last night in the TA.
I think it was enough to take him down, never know in the TA, but as we continued the fight he owned me.

:salute SIK

SIK1 is easy, just paint a big "LPN" on the side of your plane and he will become mesmerized !   :devil

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2013, 09:08:56 PM »
Well, for the record I fly with scaling off on all axis. I don't use CT, and I trim for a set speed like TC describes. I use a warthog and simped pedals. I like to say that all I have to do is think about it and that's what the plane does.

Hyde, it was some good flying on your part you get better every time we go at it. keep up the good work and pretty soon you'll own me at will.  :aok

Fugi I owned LPN once, right up until she dropped that bomb she was carrying.   :D

:salute
Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2013, 09:17:01 PM »
Same here SIK, same here!  LOL!!! <S>

Offline Warmongo

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2013, 01:42:51 PM »
Turning off combat trim will "not" get rid of nose bounce!

I misworded that. Disabling combat trim, manual trim, scaling and adjusting dead band and dampening works FOR ME.  :rolleyes: