Author Topic: P38 Firepower Seems Lame  (Read 1654 times)

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
Re: P38 Firepower Seems Lame
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2013, 02:13:10 PM »
The Me410 with the MK103 loadout has the best gun package in the game, but the Me410 airframe is pathetic compared to the P-38 airframe.

The Mosquito Mk VI also has a superior gun package, and while the Mosquito airframe is better than the P-38G, it is not as good as the P-38J or L.

Except I don't like that Mk103 are on the same trigger and the 20mms.
Who is John Galt?

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2013, 02:58:50 PM »
The Me410 with the MK103 loadout has the best gun package in the game, but the Me410 airframe is pathetic compared to the P-38 airframe.

The Mosquito Mk VI also has a superior gun package, and while the Mosquito airframe is better than the P-38G, it is not as good as the P-38J or L.

Depends on the mission.  The Mossi can bust up a horde of enemy tanks a lot easier than a P38x can.  ;)  Total weight favors the P38L, but the P38L can't match the 4/500 lbs or the quad Hispanos.  The Mossi is more of a challenge to fly, but it can do more ultimately.  YMMV.   :)  

Oh.... and regarding the P38's firepower: remember that it was designed from the start as a bomber interceptor.  The guns it has are meant to bust up bombers and they do a very good job at it.  The quad .50's and the single 20mm are more than enough to get the job done.  The trajectory is very similar as is the velocity, so the rounds will hit in very close proximity and when they do that is all she wrote for that target. 
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 03:00:47 PM by SmokinLoon »
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2013, 05:04:18 PM »
Do you P38 guys fire all guns or leave the canon as secondary?

Do you load out with the larger ammo package?

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2013, 05:19:56 PM »
Tickle with the 50's first... sometimes that's all you need.  Pour the cannon on when you're getting hits.

At least one P-38 pilot who is better than I replied he always takes the heavier package when I asked him.  I would guess the lighter package does help turning a small bit, but since my aim often fails me, more boolits equals more better for me.  I think I read somewhere the difference is negated somewhat by the extra weight being in the nose as opposed to the wings.

Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2013, 05:31:32 PM »
Unless you're dueling, take the larger gun package. It is ahead of the CoG and the impact is minimal.

(Sent from my Droid)
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2013, 05:46:15 PM »

I normally fire all guns.  But sometimes I will use just the 50's if I am not sure of getting a hit (which is a lot of the time)  I can use the tracers from the 50's to spot my shot, then cut in the cannon.  

If I remember correctly, the 20mm will give about 20 seconds of continuous fire.  And the 50's will give about 40 seconds of continuous fire.  

Nope, I was wrong.  The 20mm will give about 14 seconds of continuous fire.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 05:54:32 PM by Mongoose »
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2013, 06:53:26 PM »

I've got the .50s mapped to the primary trigger and the 20mm to the secondary trigger.  I only use the larger ammo package as why limit yourself unnecessarily?  It's an AH urban myth that taking the lesser ammo package will increase maneuverability, don't buy into it. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2013, 07:00:34 PM »

On my X52, the trigger is two stage.  The first stage I have set for the primary (.50s) and the second stage for All guns.  When it comes to firing all of them, a lot of things come into play such as the plane type I'm shooting at and the shot I have.  If it is an easy shot on a plane such as a A6M (which catches fire if you just look at it wrong) for a very close range shot I tend to save my cannon rounds and just fire the .50s.  But, most of the time I fire all guns.

I've always take the larger gun package.  As Delirium and AKAK both said, the differences in maneuverability are very slim, and the extra ammo just means not having to go Winchester as soon.

#S#

Josh
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2013, 10:26:33 PM »
Watching how many kills some of you land in the HOST message. In the MA take everything you can stuff in that plane you can go piu, piu, piu with, including your flair gun. Then piu with it all. It's going to dissapere faster than you want it to. Same goes for Jug pilots. HiTech givith, so takeith and spreadith it amongst the heathens freely and thrice on sundays.

If you are worried about ammo that much, fly a Yak9u for awhile. After that, the P38 will feel like unlimited ammo.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2013, 11:35:26 PM »
Watching how many kills some of you land in the HOST message. In the MA take everything you can stuff in that plane you can go piu, piu, piu with, including your flair gun. Then piu with it all. It's going to dissapere faster than you want it to. Same goes for Jug pilots. HiTech givith, so takeith and spreadith it amongst the heathens freely and thrice on sundays.

If you are worried about ammo that much, fly a Yak9u for awhile. After that, the P38 will feel like unlimited ammo.

Yak 9T not much better, but the 37mm is great for de-acking. :aok
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2013, 05:56:45 AM »
The full load seems to be unanimous.  Me too then. 

I will have to work on the trigger set up.

Thanks for the replies.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2013, 06:02:38 AM »
I've always taken the smaller package in my 38 unless I was bomber hunting. Even with 800 50cals I can still get up to 7-8 kills in 1 run. I fire the 50's and the 20mm together. I run out of cannon at about 100 rounds of 50cal left.

Offline Lab Rat 3947

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2013, 10:37:54 AM »
I carry the full load and use two triggers.
When I see sprites from the .50s, I tap the cannon.    :old:

LtngRydr
LtngRydr
14th FG Grounded

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2013, 02:48:39 PM »
Gents, Randy is a good guy attempting to learn Aces High and is a fairly new player. Don't be nasty!  :angel:

I agree from what I have seen in the game.

Randy,

I have come across you upping your 38 from completely capped fields on numerous occasions now.  Trust me...from a luftwaffles perspective...the 38's firepower is devastating, and rule one is never allow a 38 to get you in his sights.  However...no firepower in the world is going to get you good results upping under a vultch.  Especially a cannon bird vultch.  It is the wrong choice of planes/situations, if your objective is to ruin the vultchers fun.

If you want to utilize the 38 in this role...fall back man.  Get some altitude...be that 'High 38' upping from the next field over, who is in turn... vultching the vultchers.  This is where the lightning excels, and you will realize the formidable firepower which it brings.

- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2013, 03:17:44 PM »
As a follow up I did some calculation based on balistic velocities, and it turns out the a .50 cal has about 50% of the kenectic energy at 1000yrds than it has a 400 yrds, and 30% of what it has at 120yrds.
So you have to hit with 2X as many rounds at 1000yrds as you do at 400yrds.

Meaning the cannons have a big advantage at distances over 400yrds since the HE portion of the damage model doesn't drop with distance.
Who is John Galt?