Author Topic: Garage Floor  (Read 577 times)

Offline HL117

• Nickel Member
      • Aircams
Garage Floor
« on: April 10, 2013, 10:55:06 PM »
Was out today sweeping the garage floor setting up for a project and thought, would be nice to have a white floor to help with cave like darkness.

Has anyone had experience with painting or sealing a concrete garage floor white and getting good results, meaning you got the desired effect and endurance you were looking for.

HL
Whether you think you can or cannot, you are right!

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
Re: Garage Floor
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 11:17:47 PM »
It's not cheap but the oil based floor epoxies work well (water based ones are cheaper but are not as durable or hard).  I work in a hangar all the time with an epoxy floor and it is very nice.  The only thing I don't like about the one I work one, is that is has a speckled finish (they sprinkle little black flakes on before it dries) it looks pretty but it makes it a PITA to find small washers and nuts when I drop them, for a working floor a single plain color is better IMO.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 11:24:41 PM »
Surface prep determines if the "paint" comes off the very next day or years later.

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 11:34:33 PM »
Just make sure it's not a smooth polished finish.  looks fantastic, but glossy garage floors and slippery liquid stuff don't blend well.  How do I know this you ask??  Textured floor was the second version of a finished garage floor.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 02:23:49 AM »
I hear carpet is popular among the aging metrosecksual BMW crowd.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 02:45:50 AM »
If your not going to properly contribute to thread rpm you should not post :old:

But saying that a morocco style carpet with a hint of beige sounds outstanding in said garage  :)

Paint the walls white that will improve it  :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 03:11:53 AM »
If your not going to properly contribute to thread rpm you should not post :old:

But saying that a morocco style carpet with a hint of beige sounds outstanding in said garage  :)

Paint the walls white that will improve it  :old:
bah! That Earl grey has rattled your brain. Neon blue I tell you! :neener:
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 05:42:36 AM »
Seems like I remember Rustolium had a product just for that.

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 06:09:55 AM »
Use to work at Sherwin WIlliams years ago, they have an excellent line of industrial paints...2part epoxys and such. We use to sell them to Willow Grove NAS maintence dept to paint the hanger floors...They needed something that would hold up to oils, jet fuel etc etc.....If i remember right the product was called TileClad Epoxy, but that may have changed.....Go to the local SW store and talk to a sales person, Im sure they can get you something that will work well for you.....Just know that the industrial stuff is kept in the back, you wont see it on the floor.  Normally a good scrubbing with Muratic acid/water solution, will clean and prep the concrete for your paint, but double check with the SW Rep.  Good luck  :aok

<Edit>
Found a forum where they are talking about garage floor coatings....its older (2009) but might be a good starting point to get ideas

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34174
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 07:33:56 AM by mbailey »
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 07:12:12 AM »

I was just trying to give the man the full spectrum of what was out there in garage floor coverings from past OC experience on the subject. :old:
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 07:18:39 AM »
biege or neon blue, which one? :banana:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 07:28:06 AM »
Personally, I'd go with grey epoxy. Long lasting, easy to keep clean and very durable. Luckily, my MB doesn't leak oil so I'm still using the original brush finished concrete finish. But I'd like to upgrade to grey epoxy someday. Agree with skipping the glitter. It may help hide dirt, but it hides nuts, screws and washers as well.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 07:47:11 AM »
Personally, I'd go with grey epoxy. Long lasting, easy to keep clean and very durable. Luckily, my MB doesn't leak oil so I'm still using the original brush finished concrete finish. But I'd like to upgrade to grey epoxy someday. Agree with skipping the glitter. It may help hide dirt, but it hides nuts, screws and washers as well.

Again, he asked about white and you are spewing crap about grey.  Shuttup!

SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 07:52:29 AM »
Again, he asked about white and you are spewing crap about grey.  Shuttup!

Dude, why so hostile? Chillax. Just offering him an option.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 08:00:29 AM »
Good stuff to know.

I have been trying to decide what to do about the floor in the brew-house (basement).

It is usually covered in water while we are brewing, so slipping is an issue.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.