Author Topic: No Icons for enemy  (Read 10501 times)

Offline seano

• Copper Member
Re: No Icons for enemy
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2013, 01:33:43 AM »
once again, just asking for a main late war arena with the enemy icon turned off alltogether. should be very easy for hitech to get done as no re coding will be needed. late war perks will still be able to be earned, which means people will play it.

no icon means its a bad guy and shoot it down.pretty please with texas cherries on top.

maybe we could send some pizzas to the office one day, papa johns online with message......

Offline Pand

• Silver Member
      • Pand's Fighter Wing
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2013, 03:40:34 AM »
once again, just asking for a main late war arena with the enemy icon turned off alltogether. should be very easy for hitech to get done as no re coding will be needed. late war perks will still be able to be earned, which means people will play it.

no icon means its a bad guy and shoot it down.pretty please with texas cherries on top.

maybe we could send some pizzas to the office one day, papa johns online with message......
I'd be good with this... Would make picking and ranging much tougher as well as being able to lose your enemy during a scissors or other maneuver... Or sneaking in or out at the treetop level!

Regards,

Pandemonium
"HORDE not HOARD. Unless someone has a dragon sitting on top of a bunch of La7s somewhere." -80hd

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2013, 09:52:55 AM »
No, it's actually more like 35 out of 40 chose no enemy icons. The only difference is the distance at which they wanted friendly icons. If I recall correctly we invited more than 90. Some of those we may have never reached because they were no longer on the bbs etc.  

I'm sure you would like us to assume that the 40 or more who chose not to respond at all would have all been pro-icon, but we can only count the one's who did respond.

Considering the fact that no matter what the icon settings are, the ratio of players in the respective arenas will still be hundreds compared to dozens, you really have no point.

My point is, if you took 100 Ford guys and asked them which is better The "Cobra", the "GT 350", the "GT500", or the LX Mustang it would be a useless poll if the "Ford guys" only make up 10% of the base.

You polled a very few, and at that it was those that liked what you were doing and didn't take into account all those that tried it and left because they DIDN'T like it but didn't hang around for your poll.

It's flawed data. It would be like me saying icons off are bad because 100% of the players I polled (me and 3 friends that are about as blind as I am) said it was. See what I mean?

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2013, 10:03:08 AM »

It wouldn't get used much.  People will mostly go to the one with the icons and most of the people who would prefer no enemy icons will go where the larger population is for gameplay reasons and a few die hard no icon folks, or perk farmers, will occupy the NEIMA.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2013, 10:51:54 AM »
My point is, if you took 100 Ford guys and asked them which is better The "Cobra", the "GT 350", the "GT500", or the LX Mustang it would be a useless poll if the "Ford guys" only make up 10% of the base.

You polled a very few, and at that it was those that liked what you were doing and didn't take into account all those that tried it and left because they DIDN'T like it but didn't hang around for your poll.

It's flawed data. It would be like me saying icons off are bad because 100% of the players I polled (me and 3 friends that are about as blind as I am) said it was. See what I mean?

No, we didn't only poll known no enemy icon fans.

At the time we took the poll, all icons had been turned on in the arena for several months and we made sure to gather as many names as we could from that time.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2013, 07:55:25 PM »
Think I figured out who likes no icons. Last night I bought a new monitor. 24 inch LCD. Now I can see the dots past 1000 yards with no problems at 1920x1080 32bit. With my 22inch at 1680x1050 32bit I couldn't see them.

If this is a hardware thing. Not everyone can afford the equipment to play in the AvA. And if they do in spite of that, just give those who can easy kills. Like I used to do when I "couldn't" see anyone until it was almost too late to judge anything to begin ACM.

From the jpeg Fugi posted of his PC room, he has a 27 or 32 inch monitor which would make playing no icon easy in his case. I used to show up on Thursday nights to support Waystin on his CM night in the AvA. I always ended up in a field gun or a GV unless there were enough piggies with monitors that resolved the dots near me to call out what they saw.

The MA is more honest in that everyone can see each other while the internet along with player skill levels are the greatest determination of the fun outcome per session. Before this wish and the AvA goes any farther, all of you need to come up with a benchmark for what the real hardware requirements will be to readily see Iconless dots. Well enough to make no-Icon mode fun enough for players to throw $15.00 a month at it.

Otherwise this whole post is disingenuous and nastily self serving. Seeing dots as a function of superior hardware then turns the game into hardware wars and not ACM skill. The current economy will hold the general evolution to better hardware behind for some time into the future. But, then who cares if your hardware can show you the dots while theirs can't. You suddenly become the Uber arena killer by virtue of their less than optimal hardware instead of having to face the likes of the muppets in the MA and actually be tested for your ACM ability face to face and earn Uber in a pool full of sharks.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2013, 09:12:51 PM »
bustr I used to go to the ava with this guy that had a 300 dollar laptop and he could see the enemy better than me with 3 23 inch 1080p monitors.  He would laugh at me when he would point out the cons and tell me where they where and I would just go "where?".

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2013, 09:21:57 PM »
Bustr, it's a 39" 1080p tv  :D and I too believe "hardware" plays a big roll. I had a decent video card in my last box and pretty much stayed at 60 fps with it. When flying with Twinboom he would spot dots long before me. Once I built this rig with a top of the line video card I spot them long before him now.

I think the reason I don't like the "no icons" thing is I have to work hard enough to fight and fly, I don't have the time to mess around an ID these planes as they wiz by. Look at how many people are complaining about the bomb drop issue.....remember less than 5% of player post on these boards. Can you imagine if you take away the info they get on the icon??? It would be worst than when we had night time.

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2013, 10:24:57 PM »
please disable all enemy icons. lets keep it real. ye i know i can disable them myself, but across the board would be awesome and lead to a more real flight experience.

how about a no enemy icon arena? good way to try it out. thank you

Please don't impose this on the majority. The "reality" is certainly debatable. And there already is a no-icon arena, the AVA.

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2013, 10:55:29 PM »
Think I figured out who likes no icons. Last night I bought a new monitor. 24 inch LCD. Now I can see the dots past 1000 yards with no problems at 1920x1080 32bit. With my 22inch at 1680x1050 32bit I couldn't see them.

If this is a hardware thing. Not everyone can afford the equipment to play in the AvA. And if they do in spite of that, just give those who can easy kills. Like I used to do when I "couldn't" see anyone until it was almost too late to judge anything to begin ACM.
...<snip>

1980x1024 on a 22" monitor? Ouch. I'm glad you were able to upgrade to a larger monitor, but standby for a cheaper, though not better solution.

Okay, my eyes are over 65 years old and looking at my monitor, even with my custom computer glasses sucks.

When I upgraded from my old 19" monitor, I did my proper research. I quickly realized that text in Word and Excel was going to look tiny with a 22" or 24" monitor at the native resolution. In Aces High, it was going to suck playing at the native monitor resolution on either size monitor. To do this, I obtained the horizontal width in inches and divided the native pixel width by the inches width. You can do the same thing.

I was running 1280x720(?), in-game on my 19" LCD. I knew I'd need to reduce the screen resolution to maintain the same view. I was willing to do it, but I caught a sale on a 27" monitor that I couldn't pass up. Call this full disclosure if you like but I was playing in the AvA on that 19" monitor and voted no enemy icons in jimson's pole. That was before my upgrade.

I already knew that I'd need to go to a 27" monitor to have the same dot size as my old 19" monitor. There's no improvement in dot size, but at least I didn't loose anything.

On your 22" monitor, you can do the same thing that I was prepared to do, and do NOW on my 27" monitor. Reduce the screen resolution in the game's Video configuration Settings when you play the game. The plane dots and everything else will become larger. I can't imagine playing at even 1680 on a 22" monitor. That would be crazy.

I'm using 1280x720 in my Video Settings. You won't believe the difference, and it doesn't take long to get used to the change.

If anyone else tries this, I hope you'll report your experience, good or bad, in this thread. It's not for me, I'm happy, it's for the rest of the community who might find confirmation helpful.

Sorry for the wall of text.

S!

Edit:
For the OPs wish, no icons in the MA, -1.
Players would feel forced into it, while in the AvA, they know it's a choice, part of the immersion factor.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 11:00:35 PM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2013, 11:17:23 PM »
Please don't impose this on the majority. The "reality" is certainly debatable. And there already is a no-icon arena, the AVA.
Agreed... to get back to the point of this post wish. No icons has a place and its not well suited for the MA masses..No icons is for the custom arenas Not the MA....

You would chase off way to many new subscribers because there is a significant learning curve to no icon game play...Even the watered down version of only NO ENIMY ICONS takes a few weeks of steady regular play to start to pick up before it becomes  second nature. If new subscribers went into an MA that was no icons they would be  annihilated and most would give up an leave...Bad for growth...

On the other hand  having pure no icon environments available in the custom arenas as well as the intermediate AVA "no enemy" icon arena offer a nice alternative for those seeking something different W/O adversely effecting a fine and well established HTC business model.

Perhaps the debate on the finer points on No icon play equipment resolution ect should evolve to a different dedicated thread of its own and possibly be used as a resource of information in the future...

Its not so much about equipment as it is about relearning how to find ways to spot the contacts...  I have volumes on those subjects but will try to refrain from posting them here to keep on this threads original topic of no eny icons in an MA.....
Life is short. PLAY HARD...

"Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy."
Saadi

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2013, 11:45:52 PM »
Pure no icons is a totally different animal than no enemy icons. No enemy icons is much closer to full icons as far as playing style than it is to no icons at all.

I've played IL2 and can tell you that full no icon servers consistently had a higher population than the AvA gets with any icon settings. There is a market for it, though it may not be here.

The no icon servers in IL2 have suffered no more attrition than the full icon servers there have. IL2 46 is just a very old game and Cliffs of Dover never came to fruition.

I don't think a no enemy icon MA would be successful. Most people play in the MA because it's unlimited. There is also the psychological component that the Main arena has to be the place to be.  There is also a lemming effect. This is not meant to be an offensive term just that people follow to where the most people are, but it has to start that most people prefer the unlimited arena in the first place. That has a lot more to do with being able to always fly any plane you want to than it does with icon settings.

Offline seano

• Copper Member
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2013, 01:17:42 AM »
im gonna argue this to the death. it wouldnt hurt to try it. and in case you didnt know, if you turn down your lines of resolution your long range dots are bigger.
hitech has tried a lot of things, devoted man and work hours to make a ww1 arena, which i like, but dont play too much. having a "no icon" arena will not cost them a dime, nor will it lose subscribers. you could always label it "advanced only".  ava is dead because the plane set always lacks something for someone and people want  to earn perks to fly jets, plain and simple. as for the people wanting to fly with the crowds, thats also understandable,  im one of them. but this game needs something a little different and a little more challenging to really evolve. it wouldnt hurt to try another main late war "no enemy" icons.

Offline seano

• Copper Member
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2013, 01:20:06 AM »
I'd be good with this... Would make picking and ranging much tougher as well as being able to lose your enemy during a scissors or other maneuver... Or sneaking in or out at the treetop level!

yes it would be tougher! thats the whole point! but it would be tougher for everyone. no one would have an edge when it came to starting a dogfight, scissors, or whatever.

Offline seano

• Copper Member
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2013, 01:21:28 AM »
another argument, you dont hear the tank guys ever crying because they cant see the other tanks icon. and they can hide behind trees and bushes!