Author Topic: Dumping Ammo Before Takeoff  (Read 1075 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: Dumping Ammo Before Takeoff
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 05:38:34 PM »

Wasn't me, but the number is correct, it's just under 2mins at WEP (20% longer at MIL)

Rear gun ammo is 98lbs, that's 0.56% of the takeoff weight of a 50% fuel 110G with big gun package and without any ords.

so it is about the weight of 13 gallons of fuel?  assuming that 1 gallon of fuel is around 6 lbs. so if the bf110 using 13 gallons every 2 minutes it would need about 13x30=390 gallons an hour.  man, good thing it they didnt buy the fuel at today's prices.  390x$4 bucks is a lot of money an hour.

so how much fuel did the bf110 carry and how much did it weight?  no wonder it only had hand grenades in it's bomb bay, fricking fuel was way to heavy.

semp

you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2013, 05:39:37 PM »
But that's wrong. It perpetuates ignorance, which hurts us all.

you afraid that we might not get a shot at the quantum physics nobel prize?

semp

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2013, 05:43:19 PM »
You haven't lived until you see a team mate dumping his pintle and coax ammunition of his Panzer. Yes, this actually happens.
What possible line of thought would make one do that?  I'm not asking for a reasonable, internally consistent or logical line of thought, just a line of any kind of thought.

Semp,

The Mosquito carries about 3,500lbs of fuel when you load it with 100% of internal fuel, 540 gallons.  Bf110 is somewhat less than that, but still a lot.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 05:45:04 PM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2013, 05:44:30 PM »
so how much fuel did the bf110 carry and how much did it weight?  no wonder it only had hand grenades in it's bomb bay, fricking fuel was way to heavy.

There is not even a bomb bay in the 110  :)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2013, 05:47:32 PM »

There is not even a bomb bay in the 110  :)

it was a joke.

semp

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2013, 06:08:13 PM »
you afraid that we might not get a shot at the quantum physics nobel prize?

There is absolutely no concern that will ever happen.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2013, 06:22:14 PM »
It perpetuates ignorance, which hurts us all.

I disagree.

I agree the effect is minor.  Perhaps even very minor. To me and others this is a game of very slim margins indeed sometimes.  If encountering pilots of equal skill, planes etc. etc. etc.  Subtle things in an encounter can be just the thing that makes the difference.  Yes I know how to bleed fuel and the like.

I respect that your opinion may be different than mine.  Again, I agree the effect is minor.

Factually, it is a pure data point.  It does exist in the context of pure facts.
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2013, 09:39:10 PM »
I disagree.

I agree the effect is minor.  Perhaps even very minor. To me and others this is a game of very slim margins indeed sometimes.  If encountering pilots of equal skill, planes etc. etc. etc.  Subtle things in an encounter can be just the thing that makes the difference.  Yes I know how to bleed fuel and the like.

I respect that your opinion may be different than mine.  Again, I agree the effect is minor.

Factually, it is a pure data point.  It does exist in the context of pure facts.

There is no "slim" margin.  If you and I up a 110, Mossi, etc, and you dump all your "worthless" .30 cal ammo be it in the rear defensive guns or front guns, I still can do everything you can do regardless if you're 100 lbs lighter or not.  Each and every move you do I can match and in many cases out perform you because I know the edges of stalls better, how to use the rudder better, how to use the torque to my advantage better, etc, etc.  Stop telling yourself that dumping ammo "helps" you and you'll be a better virtual pilot.  Trust me.  You'll be far better off listening to others when we say to "learn the plane", burn off the fuel, etc, than to do gamey things such as dumping your ammo.  It does not work.  Seriously.   
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2013, 11:49:19 PM »

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2013, 07:21:09 AM »
And the facts are (example)...

BF109g2 with 25% fuel - weight = 6358
BF109g2 with 25% fuel , with all 7mm purged - weight = 6293

• Minor yes.
  • Factually exists yes.
  • Is ACM skill the most profound determiner of an outcome yes.
  • All things being equal, can a slightly lighter plane make a subtle difference yes.

Plus you KNOW when a 20mm hits ... its gonna hurt as opposed to a 7mm.  That is another reason I do it.
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2013, 07:49:38 AM »
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2013, 08:04:50 AM »
It would not hurt if we could more easily dump excess ammo. Yes some of us do this (.303s, 7mm etc) before taking off.

Simply having check boxes for each ammo type defaulting to Enabled for instance.
Don't want to comment on technical aspects of ammo dumping, here is one thing I know for certain: Oddcaf has more kills in a MK 6 than anyone in the game! first thing he does after takeoff is get rid of the 480 lbs of 303 in the nose, burns LO and RO first to adjust his CG, then proceeds to kill with the efficiency of any fighter in this game!
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2013, 08:22:52 AM »
While firing off the rear guns on the 110 has little effect on it's maneuverability, the recoil helps acceleration and I sometimes use it after leveling out at 35,000 feet.

Try it out and report back.

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2013, 09:16:08 AM »
And the facts are (example)...

BF109g2 with 25% fuel - weight = 6358
BF109g2 with 25% fuel , with all 7mm purged - weight = 6293

• Minor yes.
  • Factually exists yes.
  • Is ACM skill the most profound determiner of an outcome yes.
  • All things being equal, can a slightly lighter plane make a subtle difference yes.

Plus you KNOW when a 20mm hits ... its gonna hurt as opposed to a 7mm.  That is another reason I do it.

the 1% weight savings isn't giving you any advantage, even if you think it might be. From looking at your score page your aim is something that may help more. The top "killers" easily keep their hit % over 7 (which is twice as high as your) and so kill quicker, which leads to "more often". I'd hate to see you hanging your fighter prowess on 1% weight advantage because against someone who knows how to fight it most certainly is not going to be enough. On top of that, the saving of 65 lbs of weight doesn't, in my book anyway, out weight the difference of dieing, or killing one more enemy with those 7mm. 

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2013, 09:20:00 AM »
From looking at your score page your aim is something that may help more.
If he is dumping ammo his aim stat is going to be way off of what it actually is.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-