Author Topic: German props vs. American and British ones  (Read 1035 times)

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
German props vs. American and British ones
« on: May 01, 2013, 12:44:36 PM »
What are the advantages of the 3 bladed paddle propS of German usage vs. The 4 blades props of American and British planes?

In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: German props vs. American and British ones
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 05:04:48 PM »
Basic prop theory, less blades = more efficiency.

The issues become can you make a prop long enough to physically stand up to the HP of the engine and still not hit the ground.

Hence when the ground becomes an issue more blades must be added to absorb the HP. Also depending on blade size the efficiency curve will change at difference speeds, hence more or wider blades might improve efficiency at climb speeds, but lower the efficiency at top speeds.

I.E. There really is no best prop, it is more a matter of matching the prop to the plane.

HiTech

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 05:09:13 PM »
Basic prop theory, less blades = more efficiency.

The issues become can you make a prop long enough to physically stand up to the HP of the engine and still not hit the ground.

Hence when the ground becomes an issue more blades must be added to absorb the HP. Also depending on blade size the efficiency curve will change at difference speeds, hence more or wider blades might improve efficiency at climb speeds, but lower the efficiency at top speeds.

I.E. There really is no best prop, it is more a matter of matching the prop to the plane.

HiTech

pfft what do you know........

its not like you fly a real plane or made a flying game..........

oh wait........

:D

it just keeps getting better :salute

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 05:20:04 PM »
 :rofl
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 05:33:07 PM »
Well that makes since.

Thanks hitech
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline Old Sport

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 03:47:27 PM »
Here's an interesting relevant article from Widewing's old site - captured from the Wayback...   :aok

http://web.archive.org/web/20050207050453/http://home.att.net/~historyzone/Fisher.html

best.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 03:52:09 PM »
Then there's no props but more blades.  :D

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 07:56:13 PM »
So what I think I understand is that in theory if ground clearance was not an issue at all a corsair with a stupidly long 2 bladed prop would be more efficient in flight than a 4 bladed, except for landing where it would hit the ground. :uhoh
Whether to have thinner or thicker blades would be a factor of the type of performance desired, such as higher speed, or a better rate of climb, or a more efficient cruising speed?

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 08:27:26 PM »
It used to be that control-line "speed" models used a single blade propellor. (it was counter-weighted for balance)
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 09:33:38 PM »
How is the spit XIV prop more effective the
a spit VIII at alt? Or a tmpest
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 10:06:41 PM »
It used to be that control-line "speed" models used a single blade propellor. (it was counter-weighted for balance)

Would you please explain further in more detail?

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 03:31:12 AM »
Would you please explain further in more detail?

Google "single blade propeller".  Lots of responses.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 10:47:31 AM »
With a long-bladed prop you'll also run into speed of sound problems as the tips will be going faster at the same rpm as on a shorter prop. On a Tu-95 Bear going at max power the prop-tips will actually break the sound barrier. Also the lower the prop's speed at max AoA the lower the theoretical top speed of the aircraft. All these things have to be balanced to fit any given engine/plane configuration.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."