Author Topic: A-20 characteristics  (Read 7880 times)

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
Re: A-20 characteristics
« Reply #105 on: May 12, 2013, 10:26:47 AM »
I rarely see them but upping a yak9 right under them has given good results.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #106 on: May 12, 2013, 11:28:02 AM »
Every one who is interested in the A-20 should read this piece (.PDF format).
http://legendsintheirowntime.com/A20/A20_draft_2.pdf

Note that for normal maneuvering, the A-20 was rated for +4g, -2g. However, the ultimate limit is a whopping +9g, and that's with standard design safety margins (typically no less than 2g). Of course, this assumes no ordnance on the wings.

Operational dive speed was rated at 120% of max level speed. For the A-20G, that was about 396 mph. Yes, it could be dived a bit faster without drama, but please remember that safety was top priority and the operational margins were well below what the aircraft could actually do. In game, I use 400 mph as my redline.

As to whether or not the A-20 was used in real life the way some use it the MA, the answer is not very often. However, pilot instructors would often demonstrate the A-20's maneuverability against fighters. P-40s were the most common adversary, and the P-40 jocks found the Havoc more than a handful.

Anyway, read the piece and realize that the A-20 was designed as a multi-role aircraft, and good maneuverability was designed in from the outset.

My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #107 on: May 12, 2013, 01:48:49 PM »
Nice data, Widewing !

Im sure most agree shooting from a gunners position at more than 2 would render the defensive guns almost useless unless target is closer than 200 yards. In AH you get a bucket full at 4g at 800 yards out.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #108 on: May 12, 2013, 04:08:30 PM »
I think you just found Cobia's birthday present.

As to whether or not the A-20 was used in real life the way some use it the MA, the answer is not very often. However, pilot instructors would often demonstrate the A-20's maneuverability against fighters. P-40s were the most common adversary, and the P-40 jocks found the Havoc more than a handful.

Just skimmed most of the pdf, didn't see this info there, but if it gave a P40 trouble, I'd say Htc has got it close enough. The thing that puts it's use in the realm of the absurd is flying it in F3 mode.
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #109 on: May 12, 2013, 04:33:24 PM »
Ack Ack, knowing your devotion to the P-38, and Guppy's as well, I thought I'd add this link too.....

Big file...

http://legendsintheirowntime.com/P38/P38_redo.pdf
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 04:42:07 PM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #110 on: May 12, 2013, 04:35:54 PM »
nice A20 info there WW, thanks :aok
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline WING47

• Copper Member
« Reply #111 on: May 12, 2013, 04:56:34 PM »
cool info bro.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 05:01:04 PM by WING47 »

Offline eeyore

• Copper Member
« Reply #112 on: May 12, 2013, 05:44:49 PM »
 :joystick: :old:"I reject your reality and substitute my own"  :airplane:  :neener:

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past." - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline TOMCAT21

• Silver Member
« Reply #113 on: May 12, 2013, 05:53:24 PM »
Wide great post
RETIRED US Army/ Flying and dying since Tour 80/"We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded." - Capt. Richard Winters.  FSO 412th FNVG/MA- REGULATORS

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #114 on: May 12, 2013, 06:07:52 PM »
Graycliff I vote thee tool of the decade :aok
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline BluBerry

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #115 on: May 13, 2013, 05:25:41 AM »
Learn to read.....said I had film, but puter crashed.....so I am saying I dont have film anymore :bhead

How right you are! My terrible reading comprehension is to blame for my total lack of understanding regarding your misuse of the word "crash" in reference to technical systems. Silly me! Thank you very much! Say...If you would be willing to do me a kindness and teach me to read I would be forever indebted to you..sadly the only thing I am able to offer in return is to teach you to write. 

( I hope you know I'm just bustin yer berries )

:neener:

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #116 on: May 13, 2013, 08:48:17 AM »
Dear HTC,

Please take a look at updating the handling characteristcs of the A-20.

Last night I was out-turned by an A-20 while flying a P-51D in a dogfight at 14k alt. We entered into a tight turn fight at this alt and within 2 complete circles, the A-20, piloted by "Cobia38", was able to turn inside my pony (even with my flaps deployed and WEP power) for the kill. Having known a pilot who flew real A-20's, being a pilot myself, and comparing the two real aircrafts qualities; this would not have been possible. Even under ideal conditions for the A-20 could not turn with such a nimble fighter. Especially in air that dense.

The A-20 pilot I know, said that the A-20 has a lot of climbing power, and turns fairly well if speeds were high, but that is about it. "It was dog in the air for the most part, handling much like an empty B-25. But if you we're going over 300 mph the Havoc would pull vertical with the best of 'em." "You put it thru the mill in dives and g-loading, it just couldn't turn worth a damn".

Either yet another hack has joined the ranks, or the A-20 needs a big big mod. Please fix. 

Thank you.

Regards,

The Grayclif

Still waiting for you to post some charts of turn performance or some kind of data that supports your position.
Who is John Galt?

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #117 on: May 13, 2013, 07:51:26 PM »
People in the game often think of "turning ability" to mean only turn radius near stall speeds (often with flaps out) and run into conflict with anecdotal reports of "turning ability" that can mean a lot of different things (like how fast you can roll into a turn or roll from one turn direction over into another turn direction, how well planes turn at some speed much faster than stall speed, how much effort is needed to get a max-performance turn, and so on).

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #118 on: May 13, 2013, 08:19:42 PM »
Don't you wish this game had an "arena view mode" where you could tell everyone interested to be in a tower in the DA. Then they would all "tune" to you and your opponent for your demonstration. Then watch your ACM demonstration and hear your VOX in real time like being in a giant 3D cinema. At the end, if each player had their film viewer running, they walked away with a film of what they were watching and hearing.

Be an interesting way to watch the rounds of a dueling ladder or be the fans to a squad duel. Insta-ride along view to external views to theater view.

Fan Mode

Someday...............
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline BluBerry

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #119 on: May 13, 2013, 08:34:10 PM »
Don't you wish this game had an "arena view mode" where you could tell everyone interested to be in a tower in the DA. Then they would all "tune" to you and your opponent for your demonstration. Then watch your ACM demonstration and hear your VOX in real time like being in a giant 3D cinema. At the end, if each player had their film viewer running, they walked away with a film of what they were watching and hearing.

Be an interesting way to watch the rounds of a dueling ladder or be the fans to a squad duel. Insta-ride along view to external views to theater view.

Fan Mode

Someday...............

I think that's actually a great idea. Having some sort of spectator mode would be cool! Or having a system where when you stop filming your sortie... you could have a button that allows you to upload it to a community film viewer. Then players could see recent action and rate clips.

I'd +1 spectator mode if it has not been wished for yet.  :salute