Author Topic: Using the TBM-3 in Coral Sea setups  (Read 11185 times)

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Using the TBM-3 in Coral Sea setups
« Reply #165 on: May 21, 2013, 03:53:50 PM »
FSO Staff has no control over skins; someone would need to create a USN skin for it, and it would need to be approved by HTC. If you joined a mission, you'd have to manually self-launch (not using the mission pop-up box that asks if you want to score as this or as that) to have it use anything other than the "default" skin...you'd still see the majority of USN Kates with IJN markings. And if there is only one mission type, like certain fighters can only be flown in fighter mode or a bomber can only be in bomber mode, you don't even get to use a custom skin if you're in a mission.

The soloution for this (sort of) is to make a USN skin, update the terrain with the USN skin as the "default" for the B5N. Of course, that means the IJN squads wont be able to do missions. But there is a way to circumvent HTC for special event skins. (This is how we had a Japanese Bf 110 for Rangoon  '11)
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #166 on: May 21, 2013, 03:54:04 PM »
And .... FSO staff ... just paint the Kate already.  :aok
there was a bf-110c-4 meatball skin (ki-45 sub) made for a scenario...isn't too far fetched of an idea.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #167 on: May 21, 2013, 04:01:03 PM »
Actually, Perdue, you can get banned if you carry on a discussion with a second bbs account.. but that's not important right now.

One other option, other than skinning a Kate, would be to make a different armament loadout for the TBM that reflected the TBD.
i.e.  single forward firing 30 cal in the nose, and the rear turret being outfitted with a 30 cal.  No dorsal gun.

That would remove my major gripe with the plane.  Then the loadout can be restricted in the hangar.  

That doesn't address the speed issue, but it is probably easier than incorporating some engine governor or building the TBD.

Again, it's gonna be awhile before we see the Coral Sea/Midway event again.  I surmise that they swapped the PTO '44 scheduled for May with the PTO '42 that was scheduled for Sept.
AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #168 on: May 21, 2013, 04:31:59 PM »
Actually, Perdue, you can get banned if you carry on a discussion with a second bbs account.. but that's not important right now.

One other option, other than skinning a Kate, would be to make a different armament loadout for the TBM that reflected the TBD.
i.e.  single forward firing 30 cal in the nose, and the rear turret being outfitted with a 30 cal.  No dorsal gun.

That would remove my major gripe with the plane.  Then the loadout can be restricted in the hangar.  

That doesn't address the speed issue, but it is probably easier than incorporating some engine governor or building the TBD.

This makes the best sense, ALT CAP limit the torpedo planes to 5k no more and the speed will have no real impact (unless Axis cap decides to sit on the carrier deck waiting) In the real Coral Sea the CAP had no real impact on intercepting and shooting down Devastators - the Axis fighters would have to chase down the TBMs unlike the devastators, but with the reduced armaments it cancels the TBM's ability to defend itself other then speed. Using the Kate - would mean the zeros get a bunch of easy kills when historically, it was quite opposite.

How hard would it be for HTC to redo the TBM for scenario purposes? Its a stop gap measure for when he decides to redo the TBM and possibly add the earlier TBF's. I would hate for him to do the Devastator or TMF just out of spite - but the main issue seems to be the ALT limit.
JG 52

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #169 on: May 21, 2013, 05:52:22 PM »
Just wanted to clarify things here in regards to skins.

For the downloadable skins no, it is HTC policy that non historic skins will not be use in the downloadable sets. So CMs can't make an USN skin for the B5N, submit it and have it put into the downloadable sets.

However, the CM terrain team can actually include skins directly in a terrain. This is how we reskinned the Betty as an Italian bomber for the Italy terrain. The drawback to this is that the skin included is the DEFAULT skin for that plane type for that terrain every time the terrain is used. Meaning the Japanese players would actually all start in USN skins until they changed them. Also it would mean ANYBODY using the Coral Sea terrain for other events would have the Japanese players B5N start off in USN skins. This is why we don't do it very often ... skin other planes with different country skins. The few times we do it is usually when we are subbing in an aircraft from a plane set that would not normally be used in the terrain (e.g. for the Italy terrain skinning the Betty with an Italian skin).

X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #170 on: May 21, 2013, 05:55:37 PM »
Just wanted to clarify things here in regards to skins.

For the downloadable skins no, it is HTC policy that non historic skins will not be use in the downloadable sets. So CMs can't make an USN skin for the B5N, submit it and have it put into the downloadable sets.

However, the CM terrain team can actually include skins directly in a terrain. This is how we reskinned the Betty as an Italian bomber for the Italy terrain. The drawback to this is that the skin included is the DEFAULT skin for that plane type for that terrain every time the terrain is used. Meaning the Japanese players would actually all start in USN skins until they changed them. Also it would mean ANYBODY using the Coral Sea terrain for other events would have the Japanese players B5N start off in USN skins. This is why we don't do it very often ... skin other planes with different country skins. The few times we do it is usually when we are subbing in an aircraft from a plane set that would not normally be used in the terrain (e.g. for the Italy terrain skinning the Betty with an Italian skin).

Well that settles that (and I do now recall the only way we could substitute Japanese skins for 262s and 163s were because they only flew that side). Looks like TBMs until a TBD is modeled (if ever). *sigh*  :airplane:

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #171 on: May 21, 2013, 05:56:55 PM »
Yeah it is a pain I wish there was a way to set two default skins somehow or a default skin per plane per country but right now we don't have that.
X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #172 on: May 21, 2013, 06:00:51 PM »
Yeah it is a pain I wish there was a way to set two default skins somehow or a default skin per plane per country but right now we don't have that.

Is it possible for Hitech to do a quick remodel of the TBM? REmove the 50s for a 30 etc - would that be an option?
JG 52

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #173 on: May 21, 2013, 06:03:55 PM »
Is it possible for Hitech to do a quick remodel of the TBM? REmove the 50s for a 30 etc - would that be an option?

Hitech can add variants of any aircraft but he won't bother unless it's historically
accurate and it seems worthwhile.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #174 on: May 21, 2013, 06:27:48 PM »

What makes you say that?
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #175 on: May 21, 2013, 06:44:01 PM »
What makes you say that?

happened a few years ago.. somebody did a 'look at me' thread then used a shade bbs account to keep looking at himself.  wasnt important enough to remember those involved.
AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #176 on: May 21, 2013, 07:09:44 PM »
happened a few years ago.. somebody did a 'look at me' thread then used a shade bbs account to keep looking at himself.  wasnt important enough to remember those involved.
Are you insinuating that Perd is has a shade account on the BBs? 

I thought people only got paranoid when he commands a CV.  :noid
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline pops57

• Nickel Member
« Reply #177 on: May 21, 2013, 07:12:47 PM »
My interest in the TBD is up. Can anyone point me to where the info is about it diving at speed, vne, armor, did it have self sealing tanks, etc. I'm mostly coming up empty or with hear say. Some one here suggested the TBM was much larger but the specs I've found are not that different.TBD had 4ft less span and 5ft less fuse length with the real dif. in speed and climb. Anyone know where I can look? Thanks

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #178 on: May 21, 2013, 07:38:31 PM »
Off topic from the thread but -

happened a few years ago.. somebody did a 'look at me' thread then used a shade bbs account to keep looking at himself.  wasnt important enough to remember those involved.

The reason he was banned was due to what he was saying, not because he had a 2nd BBS account.  There is nothing in HTC's rules about having multiple BBS accounts, in fact, I know for a fact that many of the "funny haha" guys on the BBS are actually doing exactly that - and no, I'm not one of them.

I've never seen anyone specifically banned for it either, not since 1999 when I joined the BBS, had a BBS account under GmanJG2, and this one, "Gman" as well, then shut the other one down when JG2 folded.  Also remember many many people have created multiple game accounts for whatever reason, and they aren't kicked from the game because of it.  Granted guys killing shades and whatnot have been disciplined, but TwinTail for example who did this is still around, as are dozens of others.  Heck, Semp makes a good laugh out of having a 2nd account, Midway's namely, holding it hostage, and he isn't kicked or banned for it.

As for this thread, I personally think it was pretty well behaved, and everyone should pat themselves on the back for it not turning into a monkey slinging poop contest as so many do.  Perdweed, Devil, Arlo, Cap, Butcher, Gyrene, all the others I'm too lazy to go back and find and type - other than a few bumps here and there - I personally think everybody behaved rather well, especially compared to prior instances.  I think HTC adding the SBD obviously would easily solve the whole issue, and although in the MA it would be hanger queen numero uno most likely, for FSO it is a key plane that is missing, considering the number of early war scenarios in the pacific.

This brings up something I've often wondered.  With all the talent and people who volunteer their time like the CM's and whatnot, surely somebody is capable of building the planes we use in this game, as well as their skins (obviously).  I wonder if HTC would ever consider letting the community design and build planes/tanks/etc, and submit them for approval for HTC to go over, then add them into the game, thus speeding up the rate at which new toys are added by a huge factor, without costing HTC any time or $.  Thoughts?

At any rate, <S> to all in the thread.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 07:45:04 PM by Gman »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #179 on: May 21, 2013, 07:47:45 PM »
Are you insinuating that Perd is has a shade account on the BBs? 

I thought people only got paranoid when he commands a CV.  :noid

I believe he was being facetious when Perd reinterpreted his sarcasm as literally putting
himself down.  ;)