Author Topic: TBM formation? curious why it does not have one.  (Read 3295 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: TBM formation? curious why it does not have one.
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2013, 07:27:26 AM »
I'd like to see formations off carriers.

Along these lines, I've wondered how hard it would be to do dive bomber formations.

In the painting the SBD's have their dive brakes open. So, if there were a formation with two drones, as soon as you open your dive brakes the drones fall into trail, as in landing formation. Push over to dive and they follow within a specified low speed range (not full throttle!). Release your bomb, a timer starts calculating to let the second one release at about the same point, and then the third.

(Image removed from quote.)

Just wondering...

Depending on what you're dive bombing, you may not want them released to hit the same point. A carrier or cruiser, for instance, may require release at a point that would hit 20 or so yards 'up' from the previous point. On the other hand, we're already probably talking about an effort in coding that may be more effort than it's worth, what with the formation launch from the CV without glitches and so. On the other other hand, if you're three handed, it would be one step closer to a mass AI environment where the server has more fun than the rest of us put together.  ;)

Offline Ghostbuster

• Zinc Member
      • 303rd - Americas Army Clan
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2013, 08:20:23 AM »
Depending on what you're dive bombing, you may not want them released to hit the same point. A carrier or cruiser, for instance, may require release at a point that would hit 20 or so yards 'up' from the previous point. On the other hand, we're already probably talking about an effort in coding that may be more effort than it's worth, what with the formation launch from the CV without glitches and so. On the other other hand, if you're three handed, it would be one step closer to a mass AI environment where the server has more fun than the rest of us put together.  ;)

You can extend or decrease the time by setting salvo ;)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2013, 08:33:22 AM »
You can extend or decrease the time by setting salvo ;)

Are you interpreting for the other poster that 'same point' means that?  Because we don't have trailing drones for dive bombing yet. ;)

Offline Ghostbuster

• Zinc Member
      • 303rd - Americas Army Clan
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2013, 08:38:22 AM »
Are you interpreting for the other poster that 'same point' means that?  Because we don't have trailing drones for dive bombing yet. ;)

Yes, I am continuing on his thoughts, if you could set your drop timings by SALVO you would be able to set to "0" = drop same point, set to "2" = drop 2 seconds further than first release.

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2013, 08:39:03 AM »
:aok
only time I use the dive breaks is to force an overshoot :t
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2013, 08:46:55 AM »
Has anyone given thought to the vulnerability of the TBM, SBD, Val or the Kate (especially the Kate) as a formation plane? The 17 and 24 are bristling with gun positions. The TBM has 2 other than it's forward firing fixed fifties. The Kate and SBD have one, with the SBD having limited fixed forward and the Kate none. And the D3A would be much like the SBD. Those formations would be a fairly easy 'three for one.' Without the formations, they at least have decent maneuverability on their side. Sure, they could ditch the drones .... but if that ends up a common circumstance I go back to the worth of coding.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2013, 09:17:05 AM »
pretty sure the main focus is on the tbm, none of the others. as the op pointed out, it has a bomb sight for level bombing, which could presumably put it in a similar category as a b25c (glass nose vs strafer). pick one option and you get formations enabled, pick another and you don't. with the tbm, it would probably make sense to allow formations only with the biggest bomb available to it in the hangar.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2013, 09:27:49 AM »
use of the word "rhetorical" would insinuate you have no real question which would seek an answer, and that is obviously not the case. formations would be possible and it would not require "serious programming" in the manner that you think. the coding for formations already exists, it could be applied to aircraft such as the tbm, with the proper programming adjustments for what would be involved in allowing a 3 plane formation to take off from the deck of carriers in ah.

maybe it's a good thing you fly spits...

(Image removed from quote.)

:lol
Top Gun

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2013, 11:33:06 AM »
pretty sure the main focus is on the tbm, none of the others. as the op pointed out, it has a bomb sight for level bombing, which could presumably put it in a similar category as a b25c (glass nose vs strafer). pick one option and you get formations enabled, pick another and you don't. with the tbm, it would probably make sense to allow formations only with the biggest bomb available to it in the hangar.

I see options available on all three variants of the B-25C.

And why add the complexity of making formations only available to it's largest bomb? The JU-88s have it available to all load outs, including torps. So do the Japanese bombers.

Here's the bombsight on the Kate:

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2013, 11:59:29 AM »
If Tbms get formations, 2 of the planes will be my bait :t
after which the killer shall be hunted down and destroyed
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2013, 12:03:22 PM »
If Tbms get formations, 2 of the planes will be my bait :t
after which the killer shall be hunted down and destroyed

Meh. Your attacker will send your lead plane down in flames and you'll forget how to switch
to a drone while he puts a couple of bullets in each of them and gets an economical three kills.  :D

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2013, 12:03:38 PM »
It's likely due to the fact that the C has a glass nose/level bombing option. The H has no such.
I'd rather HTC figure out how to disallow formations for the C strafer.
Does using the strafing nose eliminate the use of the bombsite in game? If not, then I'll give you a +100.
I'm tired of making gun runs on B-25Cs in FSO, and getting peppered by 24 .50s after I pass by a formation.

Edit, just saw your last post. Maybe the glass nose strafer needs to also have its bombsite removed.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 12:10:20 PM by Devil 505 »
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2013, 12:04:45 PM »
They tried allowing TBM formations. But whenever they stayed on  course 091 for more then 30 miles or so. The entire flight would simply disappear
:rofl :rofl Well played.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2013, 12:08:31 PM »
 :headscratch: i may have been looking at the b25h and thinking b25c...could have swore the strafer didn't allow formations.

it's not a matter of complexity Arlo, it's actually a matter of simplification. limited choices makes it easier for choices to be made.  think about the actual role of the tbm (may as well consider the b5n too) versus typical bombers. the ju88 wasn't designed with the capacity for dive bombing, so comparing it with a tbm or b5n is a bit of a stretch don't you think?
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2013, 01:18:40 PM »
Does using the strafing nose eliminate the use of the bombsite in game? If not, then I'll give you a +100.
I'm tired of making gun runs on B-25Cs in FSO, and getting peppered by 24 .50s after I pass by a formation.

Edit, just saw your last post. Maybe the glass nose strafer needs to also have its bombsite removed.

The solid nosed versions of the B-25 don't have bombsites but there's a way to emulate one, somewhat:

At an alt of about 6k and a speed of about 210 ias ....

Get in chase mode and align with your target

Zoom your chase mode all the way out and as far 'up' as you can - the drop area will be approximately the closest third from the top of the screen

This leaves plenty of ammo for some serious strafing if one is careful and the enemy is preoccupied

The glass nosed B-25C isn't a strafer.