Author Topic: AH Player(s) you would most like to have a beer with  (Read 18864 times)

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Re: AH Player(s) you would most like to have a beer with
« Reply #165 on: June 26, 2013, 09:22:00 PM »
Forgot Stampf. It would be a great honor to raise a Stein with him.

I would say Spikes but, I have had about 17 beers with him already.
:cheers:
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #166 on: June 26, 2013, 09:32:01 PM »
I prefer to make my own, while the beer is brewing (although my brewing skills far exceed my skills as a Torcedor)

(Image removed from quote.)

awesome...you know how to roll sir ...
<<S>>
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #167 on: June 27, 2013, 02:10:35 AM »
Wow Von Messa.........you sure know how to live.........and how to do what is required to enjoy it without paying someone huge bucks.

You are a partying force of extraordinary magnitude.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #168 on: June 27, 2013, 04:13:46 AM »
You guys are making me want a beer right now, and I have $0.50 until I get paid tomorrow. Damn you all, and such.

On a slightly more serious note, I'd probably have a brew with most of you.

Frodo,  I would be honored to have beers with you.  First round(s) on me.

Ammo
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Molsman

• Aces High CM Retired
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #169 on: June 27, 2013, 04:52:53 AM »
This could be a long list but would have a drink with anyone from the 11th
Already had a few of Von's homebrew and I have to say the man knows his beers. Drank with Moegas at a bike night few others would be good to meet and have a few brews.
Molsman, Crazy8s , Crazyman
JG11, DerWanderZirkus, -The Flying Clowns-
               Wait n Bleed

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #170 on: June 27, 2013, 09:31:40 AM »
:O That is awesome von! do you grow your own or order bulk leaves already cured? I would love to make my own, but would need somebody to basically tutor me on the method a few times to get it right.

I buy bulk online.

I will probably never malt my own grain or grow my own tobacco, besides, my hops are already taking over my garden.  Gotta draw the line somewhere.   

As for learning, I watched this guy's videos (and some others) over, and over, and over again.  The Cuban method of bunching the filler seems to be the most forgiving with regard to making cigars that won't draw properly but it is the most time consuming of the three methods.

Wow Von Messa.........you sure know how to live.........and how to do what is required to enjoy it without paying someone huge bucks.

You are a partying force of extraordinary magnitude.

I am just a cheap bastige.  Besides, when the zombie apocalypse comes, alcohol and quality tobacco will be luxuries of high-trade value.  In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.  :aok

I will not be surprised anymore by anything VonMessa makes.  Tires for his car starting from rubber trees grown in his back yard?  Sure.  Making his own refrigerator using a home-built Sterling engine?  Why not?

Years from now, we can tell VonMessa stories akin to Bill Brasky stories.

I don't know about all that, but I DID re-purpose a dorm room fridge into a fermentation chamber under my basement stairs.  :cheers:
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #171 on: June 27, 2013, 05:17:47 PM »
This could be a long list but would have a drink with anyone from the 11th
Already had a few of Von's homebrew and I have to say the man knows his beers. Drank with Moegas at a bike night few others would be good to meet and have a few brews.
He is a stinker! :old:
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline tmetal

• Gold Member
« Reply #172 on: June 27, 2013, 06:20:59 PM »
I buy bulk online.

I will probably never malt my own grain or grow my own tobacco, besides, my hops are already taking over my garden.  Gotta draw the line somewhere.   

As for learning, I watched this guy's videos (and some others) over, and over, and over again.  The Cuban method of bunching the filler seems to be the most forgiving with regard to making cigars that won't draw properly but it is the most time consuming of the three methods.

I am just a cheap bastige.  Besides, when the zombie apocalypse comes, alcohol and quality tobacco will be luxuries of high-trade value.  In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.  :aok

I don't know about all that, but I DID re-purpose a dorm room fridge into a fermentation chamber under my basement stairs.  :cheers:

Your cigars look very uniform in shape and size. Do you use a press or just put in the extra effort when rolling them into the binder?
The real problem is anyone should feel like they can come to this forum and make a wish without being treated in a derogatory manner.  The only discussion should be centered around whether it would work, or how it would work and so on always in a respectful manner.

-Skuzzy 5/18/17

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #173 on: June 27, 2013, 06:39:18 PM »

Khan voice...Lager is a process best done cold............... and it is very cold................... in fridge.  :)
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #174 on: June 27, 2013, 09:08:43 PM »

Woot!!! Made the list  :D  FYI, Bighorn is too old to have a beer but he said he will accept some warm milk and a warm blanket.

Dear Dedalos and Bighorn,

It is time for your returns.  Shade or no shade, I shall gladly accept my combo-beatdown preparing you both for the latest era pile its.  It is moral imperative that you both return.  Please PM your names and I shall send you my shade.  Do it...you know you wanna...there are also rumors in the wind that JUGgler has been playing...vague shadows of 99 knot jugs (other than LilMak) on the deck slaying all those around it, never answering 200 and slipping away into AH late-evening obscurity. 

It is time.

(That was my best Midway anklesuck....how was it?)
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #175 on: June 28, 2013, 01:48:45 AM »
Dear Dedalos and Bighorn,

It is time for your returns.  Shade or no shade, I shall gladly accept my combo-beatdown preparing you both for the latest era pile its.  It is moral imperative that you both return.  Please PM your names and I shall send you my shade.  Do it...you know you wanna...there are also rumors in the wind that JUGgler has been playing...vague shadows of 99 knot jugs (other than LilMak) on the deck slaying all those around it, never answering 200 and slipping away into AH late-evening obscurity. 
It is time.
(That was my best Midway anklesuck....how was it?)
I think the Texan sun has addled his brain :D
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #176 on: June 28, 2013, 01:52:34 AM »
I think the Texan sun has addled his brain :D

Ya...I can't saddle up the ankle like Midway.  He gets that sumbetch all moppy and rides it owes him money
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #177 on: June 28, 2013, 02:16:57 AM »
Ya...I can't saddle up the ankle like Midway.  He gets that sumbetch all moppy and rides it owes him money
the guy has practically. Created indents in the ankles of a few individuals :rofl
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #178 on: June 28, 2013, 10:46:10 AM »
Your cigars look very uniform in shape and size. Do you use a press or just put in the extra effort when rolling them into the binder?

It all depends on how good they look before I put the wrapper on them.   :devil

I have two molds I made from some oak planks I had laying around.  I used a 1/2" ball end mill for one (~ 32 ring ga.) and a 7/8" ball mill on the other (~50 ring ga.)

It is a total matter of feel when you do the bunching on where to put the small filler in to fill in the voids.  If you get the bunching right, rolling the bunch in the binder is much easier.  If you are not going for a specific ring gauge (or using a mold), it is also easier to screw up the draw in my experience (since I have not acquired that "feel" for the size I need by rolling dozens every day for years on end.)  With a mold, if you don't use enough binder, you get a loose cigar with soft spots and voids and if you use too much, you get a cigar that doesn't draw.  I find the "Cuban" method of bunching (entubado) to yield the best results, but it is certainly the most time-consuming.  Done properly, however, you can wind up with a cigar that smokes as well as any Cuban, even though the taste may not be exactly the same (since we can't get tobacco or cigars from Cuba).  Only half of the excellence of a Cuban cigar is in the tobacco, the other half is in the construction.  A cigar with mediocre taste can be compensated for if it smokes well, in my opinion.  

The beauty of trying to roll your own is that, if you screw it up, you can unroll it and start all over.  :aok
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 10:49:00 AM by VonMessa »
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #179 on: June 28, 2013, 01:53:51 PM »
I like how you make your life an interesting one, Von Messa.  Not many folks do that.  :)

mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."