Author Topic: War Thunder  (Read 30382 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: War Thunder
« Reply #345 on: November 01, 2013, 02:24:39 PM »
I find it hard to believe that AH views cons and unlimited objects to 17 miles, the dar ring is 12 miles.
If you are seriously expecting me to believe for one moment I can see out side the dar ring... You must think I was born yesterday.
Why not?  What does the size of the DAR ring have to do with view distance when it is set to maximum?  Aircraft dots show at ranges far, far beyond icon range.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #346 on: November 01, 2013, 02:29:00 PM »
The dar ring from your base is 12 miles, a set distance. Take off circle your base and have a test with a co-alt friend, before he leaves dar you'll have lost his dot.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #347 on: November 01, 2013, 02:31:58 PM »
Bear, I don't think pointing out inaccuracies in Skuzzy's statement is grounds for "bye".
You can go into the game now and see that objects are limited to 4 miles, and I challenge you to see an enemy at 17 miles, that's 5 miles outside the dar ring, on your screen.

Check Titanic3's status. Calling Skuzzy a liar is pretty much inviting a ban.

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #348 on: November 01, 2013, 02:38:17 PM »
I'm just going out on a limb here, but I would bet Skuzzy is smart enough to know that there are a lot of guys on this forum with not much else to do who can and will test the things he says.  I doubt he'd say anything he knows to be untrue or misleading for that reason alone.

Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #349 on: November 01, 2013, 02:40:04 PM »
Bear, objects slider 4 Miles it's not 17.

I did a test using the film viewer the nearest Enemy is set at 9.5K when the dot shows.
I don't know what the distance measurement is in the film viewer but 9500yards = 5.39Miles.

JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #350 on: November 01, 2013, 02:43:09 PM »
Why not?  What does the size of the DAR ring have to do with view distance when it is set to maximum?  Aircraft dots show at ranges far, far beyond icon range.

Icon range is generally 6k. Aircraft dots are displayed up to ~10k (which is also max icon range for 88 and 4" AAguns), which is about 5.6 miles. No cons can be seen beyond that.

When tank town on CraterMA is crowded enough, the most distant tanks are starting to dis- and reappear depending on the number of contacts around you.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #351 on: November 01, 2013, 02:58:43 PM »
Film maker and Pie charter within .21 of a mile of each other, but I wont doubt Snail, 5.6miles it is.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #352 on: November 01, 2013, 03:02:51 PM »
I think Skuzzy is referring to ground objects. I just did an offline test, and ground structures like fields, (hangars, runways) appeared at such a range. But at such a distance, they are (at least to me) only visible at favorable conditions (lighting) and are hovering in the air:

« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 03:06:22 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #353 on: November 01, 2013, 03:10:16 PM »
Ah Snail I see, selective set pieces appear at 17miles.

Ground objects (trees and barns) have a 4mile limit, cons a 5.6mile limit but Field objects are separated and set to 17miles.

JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline jeffdn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #354 on: November 01, 2013, 03:51:39 PM »
Bear, I don't think pointing out inaccuracies in Skuzzy's statement is grounds for "bye".
You can go into the game now and see that objects are limited to 4 miles, and I challenge you to see an enemy at 17 miles, that's 5 miles outside the dar ring, on your screen.

The four miles is for rendering of ground objects like trees, I believe. The 17 miles is for things like mountains and bases. You can see plane dots at about 8 miles, I think.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #355 on: November 01, 2013, 04:50:10 PM »
A general PSA for everyone that knows the mechanics of the game better than the people that are really in the know:

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #356 on: November 01, 2013, 05:02:17 PM »
I did not mean to talk down AH, and I'm sorry if that's how it was perceived. I simply wanted to point out the absurdity of claiming one game does something wrong by comparing it to another game, instead of comparing it with real life.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #357 on: November 01, 2013, 05:18:31 PM »
I did not mean to talk down AH, and I'm sorry if that's how it was perceived. I simply wanted to point out the absurdity of claiming one game does something wrong by comparing it to another game, instead of comparing it with real life.

how would you compare a game to real life?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #358 on: November 01, 2013, 05:21:05 PM »
For example: Top speed of [insert favorite plane] in game vs. documented top speed of [insert favorite plane] in real life.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #359 on: November 01, 2013, 05:25:51 PM »
For example: Top speed of [insert favorite plane] in game vs. documented top speed of [insert favorite plane] in real life.

but the game only simulates speed.  aces high has always been about simulating combat using ww2 airplanes.  but one of the best things about aces high is something that isnt coded and the other games cant duplicate or havent duplicated yet.  I'll let you figure that one out on your own.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.