Author Topic: War Thunder  (Read 28592 times)

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
Re: War Thunder
« Reply #450 on: November 28, 2013, 07:28:48 PM »
Hair pie?
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline bacon8tr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #451 on: November 28, 2013, 08:57:51 PM »

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
« Reply #452 on: November 29, 2013, 01:28:07 AM »
Not at all, they certainly don't have to, nor should they copy WT's aesthetic. Though as it stands Aces has very little in the way of lighting or lighting effects. The difference between this
(Image removed from quote.)
and
this (Image removed from quote.)
is lighting effects. I dont think adding more polygons to the trees really will raise the bar as much improving the lighting.

I think you need a reality check.  From what's been posted here, WT has prettier terrain I'll give it that.  But in all the aircraft images you've posted here the AH ones look way closer to reality to me.

That WT Typhoon looks like it's made out of shiny plastic.  While the AH Yak looks like faded flat paint on aluminum/fabric, like it should.  I even see a lot of little details on the AH Yak that really make it, the worn off paint around the wing root, the stains behind the fuel filler cap, paint chips on the cowling and leading edges, visible rib lines through the fabric on the control surfaces, etc..  Trust me, I work on old, hard working aircraft every day, the only planes you'll see as shiny and perfect as that WT Typhoon example are show planes and hangar queens.  Planes that actually get out and fly/work don't stay that pretty for very long, especially old piston engined planes that spew oil and smoke every time they start up.

As far as lighting effects you speak of, I don't get it either, they both have highlights and shadows in all the right places.  The WT plane just looks like a shiny plastic model, while the AH plane looks like a real working aircraft.  In your previous example all you did was take the lovely looking AH Yak and crank up the green saturation to the 'have-to-cover-my-eyes-to-keep-from-vomiting' level.  Even when it comes to the terrain, the way he AH graphic has the coastline fading into the haze of midday sunlight looks pretty realistic.

Anyway, I don't really have a dog in this fight, I've never played WT, and play AH pretty seldom these days (though when I do, I don't worry about the graphics)  Real life and all gets in the way... ...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 01:37:18 AM by saggs »

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #453 on: November 29, 2013, 01:39:44 AM »
I agree I have a £2000 gaming pc and graphics are good :old:

In Rise of Flight the graphics are nice :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #454 on: November 29, 2013, 07:28:47 AM »
I agree I have a £2000 gaming pc and graphics are good :old:

In Rise of Flight the graphics are nice :old:

This sounds about right. 

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #455 on: November 29, 2013, 09:00:16 PM »
On PC, AH is the only game for me. WT is however said to be a future release for the PS4 which I will probably download. I think WT as a whole is better suited for console rather than PC.

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #456 on: November 30, 2013, 09:06:33 AM »
.... stuff.....

Anyway, I don't really have a dog in this fight, I've never played WT, and play AH pretty seldom these days (though when I do, I don't worry about the graphics)  Real life and all gets in the way... ...

The statement above in bold is the reason no one should take your opinion into consideration. By saying that the Typhoon (or any plane) in Aces High looks more "realistic" is really up for interpretation. There are people who skin aircraft in AH, some skins are top-notch artwork while others are outdated or poorly done. Yes, there are fabric covered surfaces that are noticeable in War Thunder. You should actually download and play War Thunder before spewing out biased opinions. If your computer hardware is up to par with the average computer system today, you will see much more detail in game than you will ever see in the screenshots.

Graphically speaking, War Thunder is exceptional. The planes are just as detailed- if not- more detailed than any in Aces High. War Thunder even takes it a step further by adding more detail to the cockpits (more instrument panel gauges, dirt/grime on the canopy glass, levers, and switches). Flight modelling in War Thunder on the other hand, there is much to be desired.
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #457 on: November 30, 2013, 03:35:55 PM »
     I actually got a pretty fair idea of WT looks and gameplay while watching Mighty Jingles videos
on Youtube.  The arcade is funny..nose low 9G turns and the lead computing sight were interesting.
Even in historical, hearing people say that it's easier to fly with a mouse than a joystick pretty much
sealed the deal for me.  Pretty is only skin deep.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #458 on: November 30, 2013, 03:43:32 PM »
dirt/grime on the canopy glass
Not realistic for any ground crew that cared about their pilot and plane.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-