Author Topic: Should I build a computer or just buy one?  (Read 3617 times)

Offline Pawz

• Nickel Member
Should I build a computer or just buy one?
« on: July 04, 2013, 04:28:56 PM »
Well old rig is down for the count and I'm looking to buy one that will last and has all the bells and whistles.
When I die bury me in a P38.

I watch day after day, week after week, tour after tour, the Bishops and Rooks take bases and win maps while the Knights stand there with their thumbs stuck in their butts. It's just pathetic!

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: Should I build a computer or just buy one?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 04:36:04 PM »
how much you want to spend?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 08:20:16 PM »
If you buy one for $1200 you could build the same one for around $900.

So if you have money to throw at one and don't want to be bothered researching, ordering, and assembling one just buy one.

If money is more of an issue, building one that cost you $1200 will be far superior to one that you would buy for the same $1200.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 10:51:14 PM »
If you get one built, go to Digital Storm and call it a day.    If you build it, you will save on average.....about 300-400 like Fugi said.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 11:11:33 PM »
when you build your own you will get better components.

semp

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 12:35:24 AM »
I'd buy this:

Dell Inspiron 660 is $530 (i5-3330, includes OS, 500 GB HD, 4 GB RAM, DVD+/-RW, 100/1000 Ethernet, sound, keyboard, mouse)
Thermaltake 500W ATX12V power supply is $50 (from Newegg)
Nvidia GTX 650 Ti (rated best for price range by Tom's Hardware) is $130 (from Newegg)

total = $710

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 12:44:53 AM »
I'd buy this:

Dell Inspiron 660 is $530 (i5-3330, includes OS, 500 GB HD, 4 GB RAM, DVD+/-RW, 100/1000 Ethernet, sound, keyboard, mouse)
Thermaltake 500W ATX12V power supply is $50 (from Newegg)
Nvidia GTX 650 Ti (rated best for price range by Tom's Hardware) is $130 (from Newegg)

total = $710

brooks it really sound like a great puter but it is a dead end, you cannot really upgrade it.

semp

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 01:02:05 AM »
brooks it really sound like a great puter but it is a dead end, you cannot really upgrade it.

semp

What I do is spend $500-$600 every 4 years or so.

For example, I am currently running a Dell system that is a couple of years older than the one above, but with game settings maxed out, it still gives me 60 fps everywhere, including in thick clouds.  So, I estimate I've got another couple of years to go before I will need another.

To me, this seems like a very cost-effective way to go, and it is very easy.

Offline Pawz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 06:42:40 AM »
I'd actually like to build one from 1k - 2k. So what do I buy first this is going to be fun.

I watch day after day, week after week, tour after tour, the Bishops and Rooks take bases and win maps while the Knights stand there with their thumbs stuck in their butts. It's just pathetic!

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 08:02:20 AM »
I'd actually like to build one from 1k - 2k. So what do I buy first this is going to be fun.
Tiger Direct sells barebones kits. What you need to get started will be included. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=31&name=Barebone-Kits

« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 08:04:28 AM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 11:09:39 AM »
To go 1 step further on uptowns idea:

This one is a nice start....

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8237496&CatId=333
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 11:23:31 AM »
What I do is spend $500-$600 every 4 years or so.

For example, I am currently running a Dell system that is a couple of years older than the one above, but with game settings maxed out, it still gives me 60 fps everywhere, including in thick clouds.  So, I estimate I've got another couple of years to go before I will need another.

To me, this seems like a very cost-effective way to go, and it is very easy.

but if you build your own, you will have the option to upgrade to "top of the line" for about what you pay for another.  last upgrade cost me 300 bucks and went from an e8400 to a 2500k after selling my old parts.   I dont think you can get "everything" maxed out with a 600 dollar computer.  for one thing the video card will be very low end if it even has one at all.

however the most important thing is if you are happy with what you have, if you are then it's money well spent  :aok.

semp

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 11:41:02 AM »
Absolutely build it yourself. It's beyond easy really. If this dumb bellybutton wrench turner can figure it out anyone can. Do some homework beforehand. Know your budget and as the others have said, hit sites like Newegg and Tiger Direct for your parts. You might find better prices but those are generally about as good as you'll get.

There can be some problems with compatibility between some hardware items but I've found that computer hardware is probably the closest thing to actually being standardized than anything else I've ever had to deal with. Again--do your homework. Especially before you buy stuff and just start plugging it in. Start with the mobo/cpu combo. Move on to memory--this is where you have to make sure it's compatible with the mobo. Some memory just won't work with some motherboards--check and find out. Move on to video. This is most important for gaming. Buy the best card you can afford in order to stay at least on the curve. Next is power supply. Use a calculator (most manufacturers have them on their sites) to make sure you're supplying the proper wattage to all that hardware. Going a little bit higher on PSU can't hurt especially if you're thinking of expansion later. Under sizing is right out. Don't go cheap here. You'll be sorry.

Oh and definitely use some sort of aftermarket CPU cooler that's compatible with whatever CPU socket you're buying. The stock cooler that comes with the CPU is junk and you can do much, much better for just a few bucks more. A cheap one that does a good job is the coolermaster hyper 212. Just make sure whatever cooler you buy will fit in your case and also clear your memory. Read all your specs.

If you have everything you can literally put the whole thing together in an afternoon and be loading software.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 12:03:02 PM »
drano is right about how easy it is to build a computer, all you have to know is how to use a screw driver.  and make sure you install the little washer on the screws as this is the most common mistake.  second one that i have seen and done it myself is forgetting to plug in the power cord to the wall and spending an hour figuring out why your computer doesnt turn on.

what i have found easier is first make sure the computer works then worry about cable management later.  if you are like me you will take that computer apart at least once a week for the first 6 months trying to tidy up the cables.  after that it's only twice a month  :D.  then after that every 6 months or so you will get the case and repaint it to match the seasons.  why you ask?  mostly because you can  :D.

semp

Offline Pawz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 01:37:14 PM »
 :banana: cool thanks guys I will start my journey today.