Author Topic: "Easy" or "hard"? Starring the AH P-38  (Read 4448 times)

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
Re: "Easy" or "hard"? Starring the AH P-38
« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2013, 04:08:07 PM »
depends on who is in 205. ;)

I don't know, Ink.  Personally, I've never found a 205 to be a problem.  They may be good fights, but never a real problem like some others present, like a 109F or Spit 9.
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2013, 04:09:45 PM »
Fixed.  :lol

Had I been typing that drunk, you wouldn't have had to fix it.   :)

depends on who is in 205. ;)

Ink vs. Ink, the 38 wins.

Ink (205) vs. Triton28 (38), the 205 wins.

For now.   :neener:
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #77 on: July 31, 2013, 04:36:21 PM »
If we were to go by my prior statements (Spit XVI easiest, P-38J/L somewhere in the 20-25 region, Mossie VI easier than average, C.205 mid-pack, P-40C hardest) it might look something like:

1) Spitfire Mk XVI
23) P-38L
25) P-38J
32) Mosquito Mk VI
37) C.205
74) P-40C

I do think that the P-38s will soundly beat the C.205.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #78 on: July 31, 2013, 04:40:38 PM »
I feel like I can take a P-38 in my C.205 as long as I'm fighting a pilot who is at about my level.

But of course I'm sure that there are expert P-38 pilots out there who could routinely beat me in a C.205 and various other planes.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: July 31, 2013, 04:41:40 PM »
I don't know, Ink.  Personally, I've never found a 205 to be a problem.  They may be good fights, but never a real problem like some others present, like a 109F or Spit 9.

same here...but I always know it is the pilot I am fighting not the plane... :neener:

38 is not inherently easy mode....but once someone has mastered it...it becomes easy to get kills in....

same can be said for any of the top tier planes....

master the P40 and it still is not easy to get kills in.

to me thats the difference and what makes a plane easy or not.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #80 on: July 31, 2013, 06:01:56 PM »
The P-38 itself isn't difficult to fly, its gentle stall characteristics and no torque make it one of the more easier planes to fly.  

However, fighting in a P-38 isn't as easy as some are trying to out to be.  To be successful in the P-38, there are a lot of things the pilot needs to have a good knowledge of, not just how to do it but when to employ that knowledge.  If a player doesn't have a good knowledge on how and when to use flaps, they're not going to have an easy time fighting in the P-38.  If they don't know how to properly use throttle control, they're not going to have an easy time fighting in the P-38.  If they don't know how to coordinate turns, they're not going to have an easy time fighting in the P-38.

It is also important for the P-38 flyer to have a good knowledge of both Energy and Angles fighting, when to employ each and how to switch between the two mid-fight as the successful P-38 flyers in this game are the ones that mix both Energy and Angles fighting in a fight.

There was a pilot that boasted he was able to 'pwn' 95% of the players in his Spit VIII and decided to take a few tours to learn the P-38 so he could 'pwn' the top P-38 flyers.  This player quickly found out that fighting in the P-38 wasn't as easy as he had thought and ended up quitting the P-38 because he grew frustrated at not being able to fight in it and got his arse handed back to him on each flight.

To recap, is the P-38 easy to fly?  Yes it is.  Is the P-38 easy to fight in? No it's not.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #81 on: July 31, 2013, 06:39:38 PM »
same here...but I always know it is the pilot I am fighting not the plane... :neener:

38 is not inherently easy mode....but once someone has mastered it...it becomes easy to get kills in....

same can be said for any of the top tier planes....

master the P40 and it still is not easy to get kills in.

to me thats the difference and what makes a plane easy or not.

Yep, it's absolutely the person controlling it that makes the fight.  And once you know which person you're fighting, tactics change. 

Some planes are just darned hard to consistently turn fight and win against most mid or late war rides, regardless of the person piloting it.  Your example of a P40 is there.  A P39D is there.  The 110c is there.  They are just outclassed in most fights.

One of the really nice things about AH2 is that there isn't a 'Relaxed Realism' arena, like there was in AW.  (Think no blackouts or spins).  If a player wants to get into turn fighting, he/she needs to learn the various aspects of their plane and work on techniques rather than just balls-to-the-wall throttle and jamming the stick back.

mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #82 on: July 31, 2013, 09:36:55 PM »
The P-38 itself isn't difficult to fly, its gentle stall characteristics and no torque make it one of the more easier planes to fly.  

However, fighting in a P-38 isn't as easy as some are trying to out to be.  To be successful in the P-38, there are a lot of things the pilot needs to have a good knowledge of, not just how to do it but when to employ that knowledge.  If a player doesn't have a good knowledge on how and when to use flaps, they're not going to have an easy time fighting in the P-38.  If they don't know how to properly use throttle control, they're not going to have an easy time fighting in the P-38.  If they don't know how to coordinate turns, they're not going to have an easy time fighting in the P-38.

It is also important for the P-38 flyer to have a good knowledge of both Energy and Angles fighting, when to employ each and how to switch between the two mid-fight as the successful P-38 flyers in this game are the ones that mix both Energy and Angles fighting in a fight.

There was a pilot that boasted he was able to 'pwn' 95% of the players in his Spit VIII and decided to take a few tours to learn the P-38 so he could 'pwn' the top P-38 flyers.  This player quickly found out that fighting in the P-38 wasn't as easy as he had thought and ended up quitting the P-38 because he grew frustrated at not being able to fight in it and got his arse handed back to him on each flight.

To recap, is the P-38 easy to fly?  Yes it is.  Is the P-38 easy to fight in? No it's not.

ack-ack

This is where Dedalos and I got off track earlier in the thread.  I didn't explain it as we'll as you did in my crayon eater example of easy - medium - difficult.  This is what I meant, lol
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2013, 02:28:27 AM »
disregard
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 02:30:35 AM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2013, 03:24:37 AM »
Hmmm easy or hard......190 :D
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
      • 39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"
« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2013, 09:24:45 AM »

Translation im generating as many post's as i can to bump my post count
TBs Sounds 
39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"NOSEART

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #86 on: August 03, 2013, 10:16:30 AM »

D?  One of the easiest of all.
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2013, 11:25:34 AM »

Translation im generating as many post's as i can to bump my post count
um yeah, that would be incorrect :aok
D?  One of the easiest of all.
I actaully find the d harder than the A5/8. Not sure why.

I also find the 38 not easy at all to fight in. I fing the jug a little more easy
on the control, "better" flaps, and it had torque.

Same with the 51.
I have alot of trouble with reversals and over shoots :bhead
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline leitwolf

• Nickel Member
« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2013, 11:28:47 AM »
I think a few folks in here underestimate the 205.
veni, vidi, vulchi.

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2013, 11:44:01 AM »
One of my old foes who I would always run into whilst I was driving a 38 was pemquib or something like that.
Always was in the 205. Great guy to fight
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle