Author Topic: "Easy" or "hard"? Starring the AH P-38  (Read 4434 times)

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
"Easy" or "hard"? Starring the AH P-38
« on: July 25, 2013, 05:54:32 PM »
There are only a four of aircraft I have landed eight air-to-air kills with, the N1K2-J, Typhoon Mk Ib, Mosquito Mk VI and P-38L.  The Mosquito isn't really in the same category as I've flown it so many times that my opportunities to land eight kills have been higher thus even though I did it twice in it, the percentage of sorties that resulted in an eight kill landing is much lower.

If I found it easy to have that success in the P-38, and there were other very successful sorties too, it can't be that hard.  It certainly is harder than the Spitfires, other than the I and XIV, and N1K2-J, but that doesn't make it harder than most.

Only once have I landed more than eight air-to-air kills and that was twelve kills in an A6M5b.  That sortie was an aberration for me as ever shot I took seemed to go home, even insane deflection shots. 
Landing kills isn't the same as fighting in it.  I've landed 9 kills in a 38G before just picking a furball.  I don't really consider that awesome 38 flying, as all I was really taking advantage of is the gun package and target fixation by the cons.

I think we're moving the goalposts a bit here.  There's a huge difference between being easy to fly and kill with and being an effective fighter for someone who takes the time to learn and use the platform.  The 38 falls squarely in the latter category, imo.  I think it does with the majority of AH players, too.

---

I agree that the 38 has plenty to offer, but it's status as a 'Jack of all Trades' is paradoxical.  The biggest strength of the 38 is also it's biggest weakness.  It does everything well enough to try, but that doesn't mean you should.

..But it is a significant asset, unlike the JoaT saying subverts people into thinking.  When you can do everything well enough, you're actually gaining advantage anytime the other plane isn't doing "its" thing.  Does that make sense?  Cause that's definitely what flying the 38 felt like the couple of times I got into it after being stuck in D9/152 and flogging the crap out of those..  The effect did wear off, but for the duration, those D9/152 flying habits translated into really hard whups of the other guy(s) compared to what I'd get from almost any other plane in stead of the 38.  And I mean actual dogfighting incl close range stall fight, not just pressuring BNZ.
Put another way.  You have something like the old Spit5 and you have the D9.  The 38's sweet spot IMO (I'm not a 38 long timer but I'm saying it honestly for whatever my word's worth) spans across that divide and that means more than "does everything ok" seems to mean for most people.

I had a big point for point response to some of what you've said, but I'll spare everyone that.  A lot of that comes down to the minutia of the situation.
Yep.  I'm arguing minutia too. Most of the Good Fights in AH are won/lost in the "minutia" margins.

The only point I will argue against is your comment on dive brakes.  The 38L doesn't have dive brakes, it has dive recovery flaps that don't retard speed at all.  If you meant "brakes" as in it forces overshoots easily, I can't really agree.  I've had mixed results with most of my success probably being the result of the other guy screwing up.  Other planes seem to force overshoots much easier.
My mistake.  They're not brakes but aerodynamic help for compression.. right?.  I only remember putting them on every time I wanted to cut speed and I guess I misled myself into thinking they worked that way.

I'll briefly hop on your ankle and say you're not an average pilot.  What comes easy to you is not easy for the vast majority of us.  /ankle off
  I think you and I agree on this, actually.  The 38 in the hands of someone who knows it and how to make the best use of it in any situation will be successful.  But it doesn't really come that easy to everyone.  If it did, you'd see a lot more 38 drivers mixing it up on the deck. 
IMO the problem is lack of interface between average-to-low players and training means (trainers + training tools). For whatever reasons that're worth their own thread, there's not enough Training covering the surface area of Suck (or diffusing into the volume of Suck, you get the picture I'm trying to show)..  Minutia again: I'm not arguing that the 38 is that easy, I'm saying that the things you need to do to pass that reward floor, that minimum proficiency level, are pretty basic things.  They're not hard things.  ... The "average player skill" is the moving goal post.  Remove trainers or fix that lack of training effect and the standard of comparison varies correspondingly. 

I don't think you and Karnak/me are disagreeing that much.. I do think the argument's confused because it's not agreed what exactly is the "skill standard". 

My way of saying that in most cases, diving away isn't an option for the 38.
I dunno about that..  Now that you said it I have doubts, but what I remember is that the 38 goes like stink from a stop, especially pointing down.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 06:10:42 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline MickDono

• Gold Member
Re: "Easy" or "hard"? Starring the AH P-38
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 06:04:35 PM »
Its a great plane for those who have decent SA.  It is, however, target #1 for most players including myself, so it's easy to find yourself outnumbered.

With a good wingman, or if you come in at the top of the fight and BnZ, it's pretty damn hard to beat.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 06:27:03 PM »
I m confused.  What do we mean by easy or hard?  It depends on how you use it and against what plane and player. What does easy mean?  The only time I have trouble against a 38 is when there are 2 other 38s around. Does that make it a hard plane or is mine easier to fly?
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 06:47:36 PM »
Easy to fly, hard to master.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 07:57:43 PM »
All I meant was that, capability taken as a whole, ranking easiest from #1 Spitfire Mk XVI to hardest #72 P-40C that the P-38L and J would fall significantly closer to the Spitfire Mk XVI than to the P-40C. Probably somewhere in the 20th to 25th spot range I would guess without hashing it out.

Does that make them easy?  I don't know that I can answer that, but it kinda puts the constant swagger of P-38 fans bragging about flying the hardest fighter in perspective.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 08:03:33 PM »
The context was "easy to fly" and "easy to learn". You always hear those words in these types of plane comparison discussions. It wasn't clear and I meant to argue my own nit pick in that confusion...   

I think "average player skill" at any given time is variable, but riding the stall or other parts of flying your plane (as opposed to SA or interpreting/predicting the other guy) aren't variable-difficulty things.  So average player skill isn't a good standard for comparison.  And if you put all planes on that kind of absolute scale, I agree with Karnak that the 38 is definitely on the easy side of the middle.  It's an aggregate of a lotta things like Dedalos says, but I don't think it's that hard to suss out how easy or hard it is to fly and fight overall, to some given performance standard.  EG survive this long / kill this many, in a given furball or duel set up.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 08:09:28 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 08:13:23 PM »
..But it is a significant asset, unlike the JoaT saying subverts people into thinking.  When you can do everything well enough, you're actually gaining advantage anytime the other plane isn't doing "its" thing.  Does that make sense?  Cause that's definitely what flying the 38 felt like the couple of times I got into it after being stuck in D9/152 and flogging the crap out of those..  The effect did wear off, but for the duration, those D9/152 flying habits translated into really hard whups of the other guy(s) compared to what I'd get from almost any other plane in stead of the 38.  And I mean actual dogfighting incl close range stall fight, not just pressuring BNZ.
Put another way.  You have something like the old Spit5 and you have the D9.  The 38's sweet spot IMO (I'm not a 38 long timer but I'm saying it honestly for whatever my word's worth) spans across that divide and that means more than "does everything ok" seems to mean for most people.
Yep.  I'm arguing minutia too. Most of the Good Fights in AH are won/lost in the "minutia" margins..

I suppose I'm of the mind that when an airplane (or any machine) has a specific set of strengths to play to or weaknesses to stay away from, it's easier to master than a more versatile aircraft that does many things well.  That may not make sense on paper, but in game I often found (and still find) myself 'in between' different approaches. If I'm flying a Dora for example, I don't even fathom trying some things I'll try in a 38, and often trying them in a 38 is a mistake.  What you're saying makes sense, but I think it only works out for better pilots who are able to make use of the variety of options at their disposal.  Noobs like myself often do better when they have less options... at least in the short term.

My mistake.  They're not brakes but aerodynamic help for compression.. right?.  I only remember putting them on every time I wanted to cut speed and I guess I misled myself into thinking they worked that way..

Right.  IRL they were added under the wing to change the airflow to give the control surfaces a fighting chance at high speed.  In game, I've found their effect to even be minimal in a dive.  I have no reason to believe they don't work as intended, but flying the G and J more than the L, I usually forget about them altogether.

IMO the problem is lack of interface between average-to-low players and training means (trainers + training tools). For whatever reasons that're worth their own thread, there's not enough Training covering the surface area of Suck (or diffusing into the volume of Suck, you get the picture I'm trying to show)..  Minutia again: I'm not arguing that the 38 is that easy, I'm saying that the things you need to do to pass that reward floor, that minimum proficiency level, are pretty basic things.  They're not hard things.  ... The "average player skill" is the moving goal post.  Remove trainers or fix that lack of training effect and the standard of comparison varies correspondingly. .

Taken independently I'd say you're right on.  The list of things you need to be able to do to fly the 38 at a higher than average level isn't a bridge too far, but it does require quick and concise decision making as to what to do and when.  Again, this is where too many options is actually a bad thing for a lot of folks.  All too often I've been in a given situation, recognize too late (even if only just) what's happening and suddenly I'm in a spot I'm not likely to get out of.  I think the sheer size of the 38 hinders this too.  There are smaller aircraft that are just plain harder to hit, and because of that you can be a touch late/off in your decision making and/or timing and probably get away with it.

I don't think you and Karnak/me are disagreeing that much.. I do think the argument's confused because it's not agreed what exactly is the "skill standard".

You're right.  What I meant in was the 'average' player.  I suppose we could use statistics to find that guy or gal, but even those don't tell the whole story.  I agree it's very subjective which is why there is some disagreement here. 

I dunno about that..  Now that you said it I have doubts, but what I remember is that the 38 goes like stink from a stop, especially pointing down.

I don't fly the Hurri much, but I do remember diving after a not so fast con and shedding ailerons by the time I got half way to the deck.  I don't think it can dive very well.   :)  While you're correct that the 38 is a very slick airframe and dives well in the short term, you really can't afford to flirt with compression like a lot of other planes can.  I don't know the exact number, but I'd wager a guess that from equal energy states, there is a significant portion of the planes in AH that will catch the 38 in a dive or make him lawn dart trying to dive away.  Pilot savvy does play a role there too, I suppose.
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Perrine

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 10:36:18 PM »
EZ mode because of no-torque cheat to worry about  :t

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 07:17:13 AM »
 I find our p-38s easy to take off in and fly but watch your dive it compresses very easy and the tricks I know to pull a 109 out of a dive don't work on the P-38. It took me a while to be able to bomb with it I still suck with it;s rockets. Even with the guns in the nose I don't gun well with it. The p-38 is a dream to land with maybe the best landing gear in the game. In the right hands it is a great plane, My hands are not the right ones' it would appear.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 07:39:49 AM »
Who cares?  :rolleyes:
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline ariansworld

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 08:23:17 AM »
Try the p39d with the 20mm gun package, it is a fun plane.

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 08:45:46 AM »
   I like the 38.....as a target. My aim sucks so it makes a big target. Must be why it attracts the flies of the MA.  :D

Love it for ground attack but hesitate to take it to alt as I will auger it if not careful. You get spoiled flying the other rides that zoom in and then you jump in a 38.  :uhoh

Some sticks keep it above the furballs and pick the less aware.  :furious
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 10:14:49 AM »

Some sticks keep it above the furballs and pick the less aware.  :furious

Those are the 38 aces lol
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 11:03:59 AM »
The P38s are the best planes in the game if you have great SA and ACM. If not you're cannon fodder. To be really good in one you have to know how to get it "skinny" and be good at fighting more than one con at a time. Like most any other planes in the game it has it's quirks and takes some seat time to learn them if you want to be really good in one. If anything it takes more patience then most other planes. Meaning you just can't fly around full throttle and dive in a fight from 20K like you can in 190s or 51s. You need to know something about compression, rudder & throttle control.

I think the 38s are more dependant on the pilots input and skill level over most other planes.....i.e. F4Us, A6Ms, Hurris, Spits, Brewsters, 51s, 47s, 190s.......just to name a few. As the ability of the pilot improves so will the ease of flying it. It's a pilots plane IMO.

So I don't believe one can put a label on how hard or easy it is to fly/fight in. A noob will tell you it's hard and a vet will says it's easy. For that reason alone, it'd rank the 38s a 5 out of 10 for ease.
Lighten up Francis

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 11:16:18 AM »
Easy mode planes - ones that require zero pilot awareness of speed, torque, or visibility (brews, zekes, KI43, Spit5, 16) and easily gets defensive

Medium mode - some attention to flight data, flight surface limitations, alt performance, roll rates

Everything else - must use all of your brain to manage flight data, SA etc to  fly the plane offensively against any of the planes in the prior two groups.  Requires use of all flight surface capabilities for it to be knife fight competitive.
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba