Author Topic: Better 410 gun loadout choice  (Read 877 times)

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
Re: Better 410 gun loadout choice
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2013, 07:05:37 PM »
Sounds like a good plan.

Now, to bribe HT with whiskey...
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2013, 08:37:01 PM »
I don't think having the "no-MGs" options is possible due to the hangar selection limitations.

I *DO* think the 4x50kg need to be added most definitely

I *DO* think the external gunpod needs to be added and combinable with other loadouts. It is a weight/drag penalty by itself.

I think combining the 13mm or 7mm with the internal main 20mm guns is the best bet for convergence and selection issues. I think, however, when you get to the 20mm gun selections (2x and 4x) it presents a problem with trigger grouping, though it is still possible to "fire all."

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2013, 08:43:31 PM »
I think, however, when you get to the 20mm gun selections (2x and 4x) it presents a problem with trigger grouping, though it is still possible to "fire all."
How so?  Many aircraft have 20mms in multiple banks, the F4U-1C, N1K2-J and Typhoon for example.  If you mean that could couldn't just fire the six 20mm, that is true, you'd need to fire all so the MGs would be heading downrange too.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2013, 08:55:34 PM »
It also precludes firing off your MG rounds, which many people do love to do.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2013, 11:23:04 PM »
 This has come up before,Bustr was kind enough to post the evidence. IRL the 410 had the mg;s and stock 20mm on a single trigger and the addons were on the secondary trigger. If the 410 was armed with bombs and or rockets a third trigger was used.

Ideally it would be nice if HTC slaved the MG's and internal 20mm's to primary trigger and any other ords use the secondary,with the usual backspace to cycle the ords.

This effectively would give the desired results.

:salute
That or a third trigger (#1 MG #2 (all?) 20mm #3 MK103/BK5(/bomb bay 20mm's)) would allow the same end result it seems everyone would appreciate.  I personally think a third trigger, or MG131 deleted as historically are more elegant solutions, but whatever.  As long as players can shoot the 20s and 30s, each separately, I think everyone would be satisfied.

I don't think having the "no-MGs" options is possible due to the hangar selection limitations.
Ok tell me if I'm wrong (serious brain fade from 12h+ work shift):  wouldn't the MG delete be doable by having simply "2x MG 151/20" along with the current choices for 131+20mm and 7.9mm+20mm?
Yep... One of the reasons why I think option for MG delete is a better solution.

I've already corrected my "quad 13mm's" mistake.  You're late to the flame fest.  Need an ego boost, do ya?

You can tool up whatever you want, it is good to have a choice.  I've only suggested for people not forget about what the 6/20mm's have to offer.  HTC has the trigger groupings set up for a reason and to have to worry about the differences in 30mm vs 20mm vs 13mm can be a bit challenging when you're out of the "sweet spot" for obvious reasons.  Can you quote where I said "in all ways"?  No? Didnt think so.  I didn't mention damage per gun, gun package, over time, or pakage weights, etc.  I'm rather familiar with the differences in RPM and damage over time differences.  Are you? Why do you test it out and let me know your thoughts on the difference, k?  The 6/20mm's are simple, offer plenty of damage, and are uniform.  The same cant be said for having all three calibers represented for either bomber killer or ground pounder role.  
So much hostility..  The TLDR for what I said is... "What you're saying does not add up"; for the reasons I bullet pointed.  You can get hung up on differences in expression or you can just argue.  The latter's way more interesting.

What you said was wrong and I pointed out why/how.  If that's offensive.. ??
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 11:45:36 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2013, 11:49:15 PM »
Yep... One of the reasons why I think option for MG delete is a better solution.
I see it opposite, to me it is a reason to lump them together.  Gamey stuff like that ought to be discouraged.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2013, 11:52:57 PM »
The issue is that the 410 is an instance where this was a standard practice. On Fw190s it was even done with regularity... Most other planes I agree with you, but the 410 has a very solid case for it.

Problem is how to get so many options into a single hangar?

I wish HTC would allow a checkbox for it, or more columns, or something.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2013, 12:07:25 AM »
Wait.. What's gamey?  Emptying one set of your guns or having the MG-less loadout?
And.. Maybe it's just coincidence, but the current range of 410 gun loadouts is pretty much what I'd suggested.  I don't mean I'm special, but that HTC possibly is really paying attention to these (IMO) good debates over this issue.

Problem is how to get so many options into a single hangar?

I wish HTC would allow a checkbox for it, or more columns, or something.
There's got to be a simple solution right?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 12:18:25 AM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2013, 12:22:45 AM »
Wait.. What's gamey?  Emptying one set of your guns or having the MG-less loadout?
Both, emptying the MGs for a miniscule improvement in performance and removing them outright when the Me410 typically had them.

Per morfiend's post my suggestion near the top of the first page was as historically accurate as we can get in AH.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2013, 12:34:20 AM »
I think that the 410's less than generous flight modeling (handling and IMO issues with the lift over the wings are wrong), it can benefit from removing the 2000 rounds of MG ammo. For half the gunpod loadouts in this game, the MGs were removed to compensate for the weight of the other guns in the bomb bay.

Removing just the 13mm ammo alone saves 180lbs... Not much, right? But that would be over 200+ if you could yank the guns out along with the ammo. Experiences with this plane above 30K while hunting bombers both in the LWA and in scenario use have shown my that, like its historical counterparts, it needs this help.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2013, 12:52:53 AM »
Both, emptying the MGs for a miniscule improvement in performance and removing them outright when the Me410 typically had them.

Per morfiend's post my suggestion near the top of the first page was as historically accurate as we can get in AH.
Karnak the 410 crews removed not only the MG131s but also armor.  The only reason they didn't stick with the single seater (it is explicit that #1 motivation in developing this variant is top speed & minimum weight) was because crews were psychologically unable to cope with single-crew flying. The 190A as Krusty said also had an MG131 delete "option" in the field.  I think you already know what I'm saying.

I don't understand how you can just categorically see it as being gamey, when the in-game behavior is about as close a mirror of reality as any other in-game behavior ?  What's the beef?  E.G. The 152 has just so much ammo that I never used - by default I removed all but 125rpg and 60 rounds of 20 and 30mm respectively.  Anything more was just dead weight.  Literally.  I had no use for it.  It was enough for 10 kills. Why is that gamey - any more than taking less than full tanks (wasn't that also the historical norm?) or .. Well I can't think of any other examples right now. [edit: anti-reflective surface ahead of cockpit?  See what I mean?]  It isn't about desperate exploits, but about setting the plane up to fit your intention.  Just like everyone does in the first place, when they choose one plane or another, and one submodel or another.
Totally separate philosophies, that one you describe, and this.

And... I did feel the difference, every time, between having and not having that initial extra ammo, as well as between having 60 at start of sortie and 45 later on and definitely not just detectable but significant, demonstrable practical difference when I was down to 20 rounds of 108.  Same deal with having just 30mm and no 20mm.  Same with fuel... I remember specifically thinking that I could tell how much fuel I had by "blind folding" myself IE guessing how much fuel was left by just maneuvering but not looking at fuel gauge.
These are not insignificant "minuscule" improvements.  Every little bit of angle and fraction of a second counts.  Admittedly... I think this is only meaningful when you are all the way towards final 10% "mastery" of your fav plane.  But... That's what this game is about.  Being one with your machine.  It might be pixels but the mind-side of the equation is the same whether you have pixels or an actual Mossie or Fw190 in your hands.  Same thing with tuning the build and setup for virtual vs real race cars and bikes, etc.

The pleasure of being able to make your fav machine an extension of yourself to the point that these tiny tweaks are so significant is one of the rewards of all these years of stick and rudder practice.  I think it's a discredit to our discipline to deny us this choice.

I think that the 410's less than generous flight modeling (handling and IMO issues with the lift over the wings are wrong), it can benefit from removing the 2000 rounds of MG ammo. For half the gunpod loadouts in this game, the MGs were removed to compensate for the weight of the other guns in the bomb bay.
It does benefit, but it's still shaving hair and tail off an elephant... The plane is still far from competitive even for "stall fight the 152 vs almost everything" kind of mind set.

Removing just the 13mm ammo alone saves 180lbs... Not much, right? But that would be over 200+ if you could yank the guns out along with the ammo. Experiences with this plane above 30K while hunting bombers both in the LWA and in scenario use have shown my that, like its historical counterparts, it needs this help.
Yep.  Krusty I told you the single seater was a legitimate option historically and for total in-game context and from pure dogfight gameplay perspective.  Anyway, that's a separate topic and I'm not gonna throw fuel on that fire.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 01:14:06 AM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2013, 01:09:16 AM »
I'm not necessarily advocating the single seater option. Just the no-MGs option on a 2-seater.

Ok tell me if I'm wrong (serious brain fade from 12h+ work shift):  wouldn't the MG delete be doable by having simply "2x MG 151/20" along with the current choices for 131+20mm and 7.9mm+20mm?Yep... One of the reasons why I think option for MG delete is a better solution.

You're right. I was thinking of a different hangar layout than what the 410 (it's also been a long day for me). That would be a perfect solution for now.

(now, if they could just add in 4x50kg and a gunpod.....  :D )

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2013, 01:20:06 AM »
removing them outright when the Me410 typically had them.
I'm going to dig into my notes and books for this.  I'm fairly sure removing the MGs was not rare or deviant.  Like I said they just removed armor.. The brass meeting notes explicitly quote said brass complaining about that being duplicate work, logistically.  But that was the will of the field crews.  If I was betting (I'm not asserting it, I have no actual basis either way), I'd bet HTC modeled with-armor from conservative POV - not enough evidence for how much it was done, or for it being the dominant trend.

Also reality check works better for removing them:  what do you need a pair of 13mm when you have 4x20 or 2x20+2x103?  The rube goldberg aspect of it also makes 131-delete more attractive.

I'm going to go back thru my notes once I'm done moving this weekend.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 01:32:17 AM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2013, 02:45:30 AM »
And.. Maybe it's just coincidence, but the current range of 410 gun loadouts is pretty much what I'd suggested.  I don't mean I'm special, but that HTC possibly is really paying attention to these (IMO) good debates over this issue.
There's got to be a simple solution right?

I think they do indeed pay attention to the debates. Several of my suggestions have been added to the letter so far. Not before some long debate as to their merits and demerits, and much refinement.

More than a wish list, per se, it seems to be where most of the thinking is done in terms of development. We the players ask for what we want, and over time and multiple threads, the issues are hammered out, the idea refined, and what started as a general request turns into the blueprint for our additions.

And more than gun packages, I'd like to see more ordnance options. While it has a nice range of guns, it's not too flexible in the bomb department.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 02:53:36 AM by Tank-Ace »
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2013, 02:56:30 AM »
Yeah maybe HTC wasn't motivated first by what we thought up, maybe these gun loadouts are just common sense.  We'd been expecting more bomb options and those didn't happen.  :P

--

Another clear disconnect from history: WEP.  At least some AH models with WEP have this unreal ability to regenerate WEP.  This makes their sorties completely unlike what ever happened in WWII, and yet still much like it.  I'd argue that the MG 131 delete is analogous if not basically the same thing.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 03:35:37 AM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you