Author Topic: Is the CT really, really gonna survive?  (Read 4636 times)

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
Is the CT really, really gonna survive?
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2001, 11:37:00 PM »
Agreed Toad, but I did not see anything in the posts to further develop HTC. Do you?

I do consider myself "one of those" historical nuts and never appreciate sweeping comments of  
Lots of talk, but nobody shows up to play and the arena stays a wasteland to this day.
It is not a wasteland, people do show up. I don't see how that helps.

I have never viewed AH as just an MA sim. I knew it would develop beyond that and have looked forward to "historical events" since we moved here. Not much was going on when the Mongrels first moved here so I became a CM. With a lot of help, designed the Snapshots and Check 6 events, and now the TOD. These events, (weekly or the large multi frame events we have every few months) are and have been an essential part to the development of AH. The dueling arena, training arena, special events arena, and now the combat theatre are also. Each in there own way serve customers.  

Some people would walk by a hole that someone fell in and say "What an idiot" and keep going. Others would stop and ask "how can I help". This forum and entire BB could use a lot more of the latter.

The stone often recoils on to the head of the thrower.
Elizabeth I
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2001, 12:50:00 AM »
Clipped from this thread:

"No dweebery that I can think of"

"I want a sim not AirQuake"

Funked, who is turning it into "sides"?

Do these qualify as "No real constructive purpose, just negativity"?    :)

No Daddog, I didn't see anything Verm's or BD's posts to further develop HTC.

Do you see anything in the above clipped comments that would further HTC?

It's all the pot calling the kettle black... and counterproductive on BOTH sides of the issue.

[ 09-24-2001: Message edited by: Toad ]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2001, 01:31:00 AM »
Toad, those two quotes you used don't support your point too well, but I know what you mean.  None of the negative stuff helps anybody.  Especially the "sides" stuff.  I believe there are definitely two camps here though, simmers and gamers.  Those names are stereotypes and not really true, but there are two groups for sure.  The problem is some of the guys on each side call the other side names, and it gives a bad name to both sides of the argument.  A lot of the resentment is the result of having one arena for so long, where players with different tastes had no choice but to play in the least common denominator format.  Hopefully if there is some development of the CT this pressure will be eased, or at least people will start whining about the CT instead of whining about the MA.   :)

[ 09-24-2001: Message edited by: funkedup ]

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2001, 01:41:00 AM »
Thanks, Funked. ( You know I could go get 100+ quotes that are extremely germane if it really made a difference; but it doesn't because everyone knows what we're talking about here.)

The point is made.

Neither side is doing the game any favors. I am, like TOTALLY sick of people dissing other people who don't play the way they "should".

My .02?

Play The Game The Way You Like To Play. (and Zip It!)   ;)

[ 09-24-2001: Message edited by: Toad ]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2001, 02:46:00 AM »
Just give CT the same radar as MA... make it possible for people to find the scarce fights. That is one immediate way to increase the numbers at CT.

And forget the "realism" counter arguments. Dots on dar are a perfect substitute for the missing wingman/flight/squadron/groundcontrol radio communication.

Most people intrested in CT want the historical plane set... but not the uneventful sightseeing flights!

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2001, 03:18:00 AM »
Amen Blauk.......wish I had presented my views that way.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2001, 03:55:00 AM »
I stopped flying in CT when that day I saw a dozen SpitVs, reportedly on 25% fuel, doing nothing and I mean nothing else but coming over at SL and furballing. I was hoping for something more and my first few days in there were OK, a few buff intercepts here and there some fites in my 109G6 vs Typhoons and Spits, but since then it has not been  good.

Offline Pepe

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2001, 04:49:00 AM »
I think the problem (one and only) with CT is lack of strategics/land capture.

Once here, I have split feelings. IF strategics/land capture is implemented in CT, we will see same buff dweebery as in MA. And the only thing that question seriously my AH addiction is precisely that.

All in all, although I usually start my AH dose flying a lone Ju88 and blasting some defenseless base from 10k, I think it's quite OK as it is now. I need no more than another opponent to have MUCH more fun than in MA. When we are 12 in that Arena, the thing is tons better.

If they put Buffs in CT like they are in MA, I know I will be p**sed off when a skill-less stratodweeb pinpoint some fuel/ammo/whatever with impunity, and leave CT.

Dunno what will happen on this side, but I fear they (current Buffs implementation) will destroy CT fun. For me, at the time being it's more tense, less quakeish, and rewards better pilots more consistently than MA. And this is fun, in my book.

S!, CT fighters. Lots (if not all) class act guys in here.   :)

Cheers,

Pepe

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2001, 06:29:00 AM »
What about having an automtic mission générator ?
It will force player to act like in real war

Offline Naso

• Silver Member
      • http://www.4stormo.it
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2001, 07:10:00 AM »
Dont touch CT!!!!

:mad:

You want your quake sim?

Stay in MA.  :D

When I want to have fun I go in MA, when I want to be realistic, I go in CT.

Long flights without contact with enemy, quick fights with very good pilots, knowing when to disengage and run away.

If nobody is there, I grab a bomber and do some long range mission.

Only thing missing, imho, is territorial conquer, the frontline moving.

The numbers are low?

Well, we know, dweebs are more than expected  ;)  :D

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2001, 09:42:00 AM »
Agreed Toad, funked.  :)
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2001, 10:51:00 AM »
love the room but kinda lonely in there lately..

needs to have at least 6 players (3 vs 3 .. hopefully) to justify time flying/finding fights. sometimes go in with less but not very often. then being a die hard GE, if GE has more ppl than Allies, I'll bail to MA b4 switching to Allies...sorry, just my preference.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2001, 12:20:00 PM »
Daddog et all....

I was merely agreeing with what someone else said.  No need to spin it or chastise me for it.  We had lots of people in there when it was new, now...well...its largely vacant.

Why?  Who knows...I know for me, as a bomber pilot, I was getting nastygrams for shooting Spits down in a Ju88 and I was also getting crap for bombing bases IF I did manage to survive the poundings from the Spits!

I'm not the historical nut Daddog and others are, but I do enjoy variety from time to time, and that's why I fly the TODs and such.  So, sure, I'd love to see the Combat Theater evolve into something different than the Main Arena.  I'd really like to see HTC do some experimenting in the Combat Room...anything from different plane sets, to no perk points to different weather conditions and maps.

But as the room is now, its a large Dueling Arena.  I am interested in seeing how the Combat Theater develops with 1.08 and future releases.

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2001, 03:13:00 PM »
I like Toad's comment.  Fly where you like and shut up about what the other guy is doing.   :)
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.