Author Topic: Bring Back the Base Puffy Ack  (Read 1796 times)

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
Re: Bring Back the Base Puffy Ack
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2013, 06:22:29 PM »

It would be interesting to see what would happen if there were a true "furball island" where the bases were not capturable. I'm curious how many people would fight there vs how many would continue capturing bases.

Regards,

Hammer

There is, it's called the DA and it usually has about 35 people in it.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2013, 06:34:13 PM »
Canyon fight!!!!!
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2013, 07:27:01 PM »
There is, it's called the DA and it usually has about 35 people in it.

Not at 1-2 am Eastern and later, but yes, your point is valid that we do have furball island already (or rather furball lake).

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2013, 07:37:35 PM »
I think your post is right on the money batfink...

I just wish I could think of a different way to combat the problem you have identified, rather than by adding more ack into the equation  :uhoh
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2013, 08:38:15 PM »
I think it's a generational thing to appreciate the old school, meet in the middle and furball, respecting each others field as the source of the fun, if left alone. I don't know how to get you back there. I see them more often later in the evening on smaller maps these days. Between 8pm and 10pm PST just after the peak numbers start to go to bed.

Large maps seem to be every kind of game player is looking for some action and the two fields that started out furballing, become the unlucky go to place for the late night. Like that after the party, party bar. On a large map that becomes the fun drain for the third country stuck with nothing to do but milk run.

Fester's new map has 3 uncapturable GV bases in the center. A sector away from the nearest airfield with a capturable airfield in the center of them. There are no GV spawns to them. A modification of that would be those capturable with 3 uncapturable airbases 3\4 of a sector away from them out removing the single airfield between them. Or place a mote between those airfields and the GV bases allowing PT\LVT4 battles with long overlapping spawns to get near each other. Late nights this would be all the bases needed for the low numbers hours. Milk running optional on the rest of the map.

It would be dumb and entertaining. But, a late night gathering place depending on the map with reliable home bases to keep re-upping from. A bomber could flatten one of the uncapterable GV bases while his squad mates storm it with tigerII and hold it down all night as it regenerates. You would get some jabo in that you could have wirbels waiting for. Dumb stuff that only happens on maps with a few fields really close together.

We have too much map room and distance from fights now for too few people. Who will hide from each other while they spend 10 minutes getting into the perfect perch to protect themselves. Stick'em closer together. Distance just gives them more time to have nightmares over getting clobbered by a random muppet. The HOers will spoil their fun long before a muppet scalps them.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Golden Dragon

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2013, 09:58:33 PM »
Hello Bustr, I do enjoy dogfighting and work at getting better at it every time I'm on.  I'll visit the training area after I've reached a point where I'm not improving through self study and practice.  I'm often in the thick of the Knight fur balls in a plane most don't like to dogfight in and getting better at holding my own all the time.  I just like to do different things as well.  Sorry but cruising around catching napping fighters and bombers is fun to do as well sometimes and in reality how a great many engagements in WWII actually went down.  For me the game is a blast for the variety.   I believe that shrinking the maps would make it more predictable.  Just my opinion based on my limited experience here.   The idea of distances being driven by participation is interesting.  As one who plays at all hours when I'm on I can appreciate that there are slow times.  I only play every couple of weeks for several days in a row when I'm home from the job and am so smitten I'll usually spend a whole day messing around on AH with breaks for exercise and food.  Great game and a great bunch of people, with the exception of a few knuckleheads who are always on 200. 
Fight's on!

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2013, 02:59:59 AM »
the MA gameplay is so great at euro time that I deleted my account  :banana:

ho wait.. :bhead

Offline RngFndr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2013, 04:44:46 AM »
Well this game is quite Euro centric, and the bases in game are quite substantial installations..
Bases like in this game, ALWAYS had heavy ack cover.. :cry

If they Don't??? Sorry, but that is unrealistic..

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2013, 07:17:17 AM »
the MA gameplay is so great at euro time that I deleted my account  :banana:

ho wait.. :bhead

Don't give up! oh wait you're from France.  :uhoh

JK   :D
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2013, 08:11:49 AM »
Perhaps the real issue should be addressed or as they say the elephant in the room.  The lack of subscribers in EU is the issue and the general lack of subscribers in the US as well.  Numbers are down.  Is it a marketing issue?  a general lack of interest in this type of simulation?  I don't know, I've never seen the numbers.  What is the average length of stay for a subscriber?   There is a lack of fights because there is a lack of subscribers. The lack of an economy doesn’t help either. Bringing back puffy ack or not will not improve the number of subscribers.  I do agree with the idea of puffy ack at the airfield, don't know why they took it away in the first place.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2013, 09:22:52 AM »
I disagree, it is not anything wrong with the game itself. It is how we choose to play it.

Stop pushing in to the bases and the fight will improve dramatically.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Wizer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2013, 09:30:43 AM »
I would maybe add take us back to when porking a bases fuel meant something :aok

:cheers: Oz
:rock :rock :rock

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2013, 09:31:05 AM »
I disagree, it is not anything wrong with the game itself. It is how we choose to play it.

Stop pushing in to the bases and the fight will improve dramatically.

Stop trying to capture bases and start furballing?  :headscratch:

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2013, 09:38:39 AM »
Half the people 'capping' a base are not trying to capture it. If they were they would be taking down the ack not complaining at being shot by it or the enemy running to it.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2013, 09:40:16 AM »

Stop trying to capture bases and start furballing?  :headscratch:

no, you are twisting it.  Not what he said at all. If you are going to take the base then take it and move on.  If you dont want to take the base then dont cap it.

Simple, no?
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.