Author Topic: Spitfire Mark I Handling  (Read 2509 times)

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
Spitfire Mark I Handling
« on: October 10, 2013, 10:45:08 AM »
I've been reading a little bit about the Spitfire to see if I could find any real life accounts which match the handling characteristics of our in game version. Specifically I was looking for info regarding the virtually unrecoverable flat spin and inverted flat spin AH's Mark I enters so readily. I can find no mention (although my Spitfire library is hardly extensive). The aeroplane is consistently referred to as docile, pleasant to handle and forgiving. Surely a far cry from what we have.

I then read up on spins and contributing factors and formed a theory / question:

Does AH's Spitfire Mark I have its centre of gravity too far aft?

”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
Re: Spitfire Mark I Handling
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 11:18:17 AM »
I'd say the tail "lets go" too soon, but I'm no Spitfire pilot.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

HOST: HiTech Shot Down Skyyr Kill#1

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 11:41:42 AM »
I don't fly the Mk1 much but it never struck me as nasty as you make out! - Just horrible peashooters for guns!

An interesting article on it here http://www.spitfireperformance.com/spit1vrs109e.html

Perhaps more relevant http://www.spitfireperformance.com/k9793.html With spins taking typically 3/4 turn to recover from. I get the impression that the flat spins, should you be so unfortunate to enter one are not representative of the mark. The nose should drop leaving you in an attitude that can be recovered from. Otherwise The handling is very much forgiving.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 12:26:07 PM by Blagard »

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 09:17:55 AM »
The nose should drop leaving you in an attitude that can be recovered from.

Exactly. The nose not dropping automatically suggests too much rearward CofG does it not?

HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 01:45:33 PM »
I find it hardly surprising. "Elliptic" leading edge which would lose all its lift along the span in stalls and very small rudder which was increased in size all the time when the aircraft was getting bigger engines.

I recall that even Hurricane had such a bad stall that there was a small fillet that was added under the tail during the prototype stage to help in regaining control in stalls -and Spitty has a lot smaller rudder. Why Hurricane, because they both have big wings and low wingloading.

"The aeroplane is consistently referred to as docile, pleasant to handle and forgiving."

Well, I find AH Spitty to be exactly that. Or do you expect that a high lift wing to handle anything if you hamfist the overly sensitive elevator full back? I'm sure it was pretty pleasant and forgiving in normal flight states but was a beast when pushed over the limit.

This test report may give a clue:

http://www.spitfireperformance.com/Spitfire_IX_ML-186_Handling.pdf

With a bit too much weight in rear tank the handling was considered as dangerous. This leads me to think that even the IX was prone to shift its CoL forward in spin leaving the CoG to rotate the plane if stalled and spun. This supports the view that Spitty needed immediate correction when entering an accelerated stall or the stall, and more like the spin, would quickly develop dangerous.

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 04:55:30 PM »
Exactly. The nose not dropping automatically suggests too much rearward CofG does it not?

In isolation I would agree, but this would also have a negative impact on handling generally, which is not the case. Perhaps the centre of pressure is not moving as one might expect.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 05:06:13 AM »
I find it hardly surprising. "Elliptic" leading edge which would lose all its lift along the span in stalls and very small rudder which was increased in size all the time when the aircraft was getting bigger engines.

The Spitfire wing has washout and doesn't depart in that way. The root departs first and gives a clear buffet long long before the tips go. A larger rudder is needed with added torque and thrust, you are implying it was a design flaw.

http://www.spitfireperformance.com/Spitfire_IX_ML-186_Handling.pdf

With a bit too much weight in rear tank the handling was considered as dangerous. This leads me to think that even the IX was prone to shift its CoL forward in spin leaving the CoG to rotate the plane if stalled and spun. This supports the view that Spitty needed immediate correction when entering an accelerated stall or the stall, and more like the spin, would quickly develop dangerous.

I think your reasoning is faulty. The significant change in this Mark IX was to it's CofG by way of the rear tank. Your view is not supported by the flight tests of normal (no rear tank) Spitfires I have read where they had to be held in a spin, letting go of the stick would allow the aircraft to correct itself.

The paper is useful but not in the sense you mean because I actually think it has added weight to this hypothesis. The non-standard rear tank moves the CofG rearward as it is filled and this Mark IX is demonstrating longitudinal instability during flight testing.

Or do you expect that a high lift wing to handle anything if you hamfist the overly sensitive elevator full back?

I expect the AH model to behave as described in real life which I contend it doesn't.

Look at the comments in your paper about the aircraft tightening up in turns. If the CofG is much farther to the rear than designed for then the tail is dropping harder in the turn and this causes an autonomous tightening of the turn. This makes it much harder to ride the turn and would make the aircraft more difficult to handle and more likely to depart unexpectedly. Then you are in a world of pain once departed because your CofG is behind your CofL (without any shifting of CofL). Presumably that is one of the reasons they considered this rear tank dangerous.

This is pretty much a description of AH's Mark I!

I'm right I'm right, I know I'm right, I need to test the CofG somehow...

HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 05:07:11 AM »
I'd say the tail "lets go" too soon, but I'm no Spitfire pilot.

Read that ^ report Dolby.  :banana:
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 11:32:36 AM »
"The Spitfire wing has washout and doesn't depart in that way. The root departs first and gives a clear buffet long long before the tips go."

Yes it does. The wash-out gives warning when the turn is tightened gradually but if you pull it too fast the stall will be total.

"A larger rudder is needed with added torque and thrust, you are implying it was a design flaw."

I'm not. It was determined that such rudder was adequate for keeping the plane flying straight and in normal power off stalls and it was, if you began the corrective inputs right away. In power on stalls and in spin if the tail got its inertia built up it was probably of little help.

"I think your reasoning is faulty. The significant change in this Mark IX was to it's CofG by way of the rear tank. Your view is not supported by the flight tests of normal (no rear tank) Spitfires I have read where they had to be held in a spin, letting go of the stick would allow the aircraft to correct itself."

By all means. If the aircraft has a tendency to stay in turn by itself or even tighten the turn itself it strongly indicates that in other than straight flight its MAC tends to move forward if its not there already, add some weight to the rear and the tendency is pronounced. Maybe that is why Spitty had rather big elevators, that is to keep it flying straight despite its CoG being aft of CoL.

"Look at the comments in your paper about the aircraft tightening up in turns. If the CofG is much farther to the rear than designed for then the tail is dropping harder in the turn and this causes an autonomous tightening of the turn. This makes it much harder to ride the turn and would make the aircraft more difficult to handle and more likely to depart unexpectedly. Then you are in a world of pain once departed because your CofG is behind your CofL (without any shifting of CofL). Presumably that is one of the reasons they considered this rear tank dangerous."

Yes, that is why I posted it, the point is in such unstable aircraft such condition was dangerous. However, such condition was hardly unique for Spitty. All I'm implying is that it was less manageable if the pilot lost control due to its inherent unstableness. As the CoG was moving forward in later versions such as IX due to bigger heavier engine, there was room, CoG wise, to make a rear tank as well, although it was advisable to empty it first before flying into combat...

Testing the Spitty 1 offline I found the power off stall to be just as described in existing documentation. In fact even a power on stall is surprisingly benign. I don't really see what is the problem? Accelerated stall? That is a totally different thing to stall tests conducted in normal flight testing.

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 02:40:42 PM »
The Spitfire wing has washout and doesn't depart in that way. The root departs first and gives a clear buffet long long before the tips go. A larger rudder is needed with added torque and thrust, you are implying it was a design flaw.

I think your reasoning is faulty. The significant change in this Mark IX was to it's CofG by way of the rear tank. Your view is not supported by the flight tests of normal (no rear tank) Spitfires I have read where they had to be held in a spin, letting go of the stick would allow the aircraft to correct itself.

The paper is useful but not in the sense you mean because I actually think it has added weight to this hypothesis. The non-standard rear tank moves the CofG rearward as it is filled and this Mark IX is demonstrating longitudinal instability during flight testing.

I expect the AH model to behave as described in real life which I contend it doesn't.

Look at the comments in your paper about the aircraft tightening up in turns. If the CofG is much farther to the rear than designed for then the tail is dropping harder in the turn and this causes an autonomous tightening of the turn. This makes it much harder to ride the turn and would make the aircraft more difficult to handle and more likely to depart unexpectedly. Then you are in a world of pain once departed because your CofG is behind your CofL (without any shifting of CofL). Presumably that is one of the reasons they considered this rear tank dangerous.

This is pretty much a description of AH's Mark I!

I'm right I'm right, I know I'm right, I need to test the CofG somehow...

washout is a design function intended to stall the Outer portion of the wing first to allow for recovery.

They call it "common sense", then why is it so uncommon?

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 07:23:07 PM »
What has changed since 2011? http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php?topic=323289.0

I am beginning to think that it is more a case of simply flying too aggressively and pushing the aircraft way out of it's envelope. Unfortunately you don't get either that seat of the pants feel of the G, the change of wind noise or the control surfaces feedback that exists in the real thing, so it is too easy to push the aircraft too hard
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 07:31:04 PM by Blagard »

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 05:12:02 AM »
what about the mark 5? while being an evolution the mark 5 feels perfectly equilibrated

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 05:29:16 AM »
What has changed since 2011? http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php?topic=323289.0

That discussion was about what to do after you've lost it.

I am beginning to think that it is more a case of simply flying too aggressively and pushing the aircraft way out of it's envelope.

I push everything too hard, I do this with every AH aircraft, consistently. The pilots in some of those accounts must have also been pushing hard too, with 109s on their arses and firing. Not one account I can find mentions the AH kind of departure. Furthermore disregarding the transition from real world to AH and back again only a few AH aircraft have this 'feel', which I know believe is best described as longitudinal instability. The Bf109 in AH is incredibly stable and self-correcting, I would describe it, and the Spitfire allegedly more so.

Yes, that is why I posted it, the point is in such unstable aircraft such condition was dangerous. However, such condition was hardly unique for Spitty. All I'm implying is that it was less manageable if the pilot lost control due to its inherent unstableness. As the CoG was moving forward in later versions such as IX due to bigger heavier engine, there was room, CoG wise, to make a rear tank as well, although it was advisable to empty it first before flying into combat...

Charge, I think we need to clarify a point as you seem to be implying that the Spitfire was unstable. I can't find anything in the literature to support that idea, quite the opposite. Even after departure you get the impression the aircraft would correct itself. Can you explain where your opinion comes from regarding this?

The specific instance of instability discussed in your report results from a rearward shift of weight and hence CofG in a uniquely modified Spitfire. The report of this modified Spitfire Mark IX is freakishly similar to the feel I get when pushing the Spitfire Mark I. I take this as further evidence that I'm onto something.

Being unable to escape from a spin I cannot find any reference to, no warnings about in manuals, no anecdotes of such in any of the material I read. I admit my library isn't exhaustive but the hypothesis sounds reasonable and even supported by Charge's report.

Is there some kind of community resistance or bias to finding or correcting a fault in this model of which I am not aware?

HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2013, 10:24:29 AM »
"Is there some kind of community resistance or bias to finding or correcting a fault in this model of which I am not aware?"

You mean..like...Luftwhining?

-C+

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 06:02:26 AM »
You mean..like...Luftwhining?

I don't know you tell me. Still waiting to hear where your apparently isolated opinions about Spitfire handling originate.

Please just everybody watch this video in fullscreen and think does the centre of gravity appear to be in the right place?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoQRbhR7Fgk
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 06:05:03 AM by nrshida »
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0