Author Topic: Wirb Ground Vis Range  (Read 1225 times)

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
Re: Wirb Ground Vis Range
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2013, 01:53:10 PM »
Perhaps you should take less traveled gv routes if you're getting hammered by Wirby's from below.  Altitude and NOT flying the same route a gv would be taking from the spawn point to the town would be a safer bet.  I can't remember the last time I got taken out by a wirby that I didn't know was there.

Again... a countryman in a Storch would be ideal.  It goes a long way in helping you stay in the air.  :aok

I am a wirble user and an il2/b25 user also. But, I do agree that wirbles icon range should be extended to 1k. But only for certain planes. Like, B25, Il2, JU87(with the guns) and perhaps a few others.

Also, how can a storch (who is barely moving and is such an easy target) survive and mark a wirble when a plane that can go significantly faster (p38, p47 or even a p51) can't survive most of the time against any player who can aim decently?

Again, I think certain planes should have extended wirble m16 or osti icon range. 

If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2013, 02:00:24 PM »
I have to say I don't get this discussion....

What good is an icon at 1000 or 1500 yrds for that matter for whirb? You would already have to be in your attack run by the time you reach 1000yrds who's even paying attention to the icon at that point? You should already be lining up the dot (or some windage point) and dropping your bomb or pulling the trigger. If you don't see the whirble until 1000yrds, the Icon is just letting you know you are about to be killed.

Unless of course you are using the icon distances to calculate your windage.  If that's the case, you aren't complaining about "seeing" the whirble, you just nedd the distances as a aiming guide.

True?

Who is John Galt?

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2013, 10:08:54 AM »
The storch can mark enemy GV's with smoke. Keep your altitude until the storchs arrive.

:salute
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2013, 12:00:31 PM »
The storch can mark enemy GV's with smoke. Keep your altitude until the storchs arrive.

:confused:

:lol

Not if the gunner can aim   :P
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2013, 02:43:00 PM »
The storch that get altitude and survive. The experienced pilot keeps his distance from the flankers.

Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2013, 04:37:34 PM »
A 1k icon you are already in the wirbel's kill zone. 1.5k is more useful to help two planes working the wirbel or to allow you to keep the wirbel in sight while working a tank. From testing, 1.7k is the wirbel 20mm max range. Or 1.5k helps in getting above the wirbel for the 70 degree dive shot to kill the guns. 600 is usless for you to protect yourself in a plane. I suspect most pilots hunt wirbel by their tracers and on zoom.

Zoom is around 1:1 at full. And at full you can see GV at real world distances without need of their icon. So I guess this wish is to have your default FoV and eat your wirbel too. How about when in HurriD, B25H, IL2 and Ju87-G2, you get a tank hunting view mode where a 2-3 inch commander circle pops up in zoom that pans centered with your line of sight? Maneuvering in the default full zoom is like trying to run down a street strewn with rubble while binoculars are taped to your face. You loose your sense of visual perspective to the environment that helps you keep distances and line up runs during controlled turns. 

If this wish is simply for take off and landing. Someone will have been yelling on country about the wirbel. Or since we don't have wind issues with landing and take off. Use the end of the runway away from the spawn. If we had flak towers I wonder if Hitech would coad them to engage vehicles?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2013, 05:21:46 PM »
A 1k icon you are already in the wirbel's kill zone. 1.5k is more useful to help two planes working the wirbel or to allow you to keep the wirbel in sight while working a tank. From testing, 1.7k is the wirbel 20mm max range. Or 1.5k helps in getting above the wirbel for the 70 degree dive shot to kill the guns. 600 is usless for you to protect yourself in a plane. I suspect most pilots hunt wirbel by their tracers and on zoom.

Zoom is around 1:1 at full. And at full you can see GV at real world distances without need of their icon. So I guess this wish is to have your default FoV and eat your wirbel too. How about when in HurriD, B25H, IL2 and Ju87-G2, you get a tank hunting view mode where a 2-3 inch commander circle pops up in zoom that pans centered with your line of sight? Maneuvering in the default full zoom is like trying to run down a street strewn with rubble while binoculars are taped to your face. You loose your sense of visual perspective to the environment that helps you keep distances and line up runs during controlled turns. 

If this wish is simply for take off and landing. Someone will have been yelling on country about the wirbel. Or since we don't have wind issues with landing and take off. Use the end of the runway away from the spawn. If we had flak towers I wonder if Hitech would coad them to engage vehicles?

The flak towers at the strat complexes do engage vehicles.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2013, 05:28:59 PM »
I would vote to make ac - gv icon range as a variable that is inversely proportional to your airspeed.

Fly as slow as Storch..... See as well as a Storch
Ludere Vincere

Offline Acidrain

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2013, 06:38:25 AM »
I would vote to make ac - gv icon range as a variable that is inversely proportional to your airspeed.

^THIS

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2013, 08:10:15 AM »

:aok
HiTech

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2013, 12:32:53 PM »

Great idea +1.
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2013, 12:59:46 PM »
+1 Tilt
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2013, 01:02:59 PM »

+1
LtCondor
          The Damned
Fighter pilots are either high, or in the process of getting high.🙊
The difference between Dweebs and non dweebs... Dweebs have kills

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2013, 01:32:31 AM »
So that means in your favorite late war bomb truck. As you slow down in your climb to the 70 degree point over a wirbel 2-3k below you, it's icon stays lit up for you? Then as you slowly tip over at 0 throttle to get lined up, it's still lit up. Then go to zoom as the icon disappears at 1500 or 1000, and you just gamed the reason for the shortened icon range by managing your throttle.

It would be more honest to extend the wirbel and osti icon range out to 1000-1500 even 2000.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2013, 06:20:20 AM »
So that means in your favorite late war bomb truck. As you slow down in your climb to the 70 degree point over a wirbel 2-3k below you, it's icon stays lit up for you? Then as you slowly tip over at 0 throttle to get lined up, it's still lit up. Then go to zoom as the icon disappears at 1500 or 1000, and you just gamed the reason for the shortened icon range by managing your throttle.

It would be more honest to extend the wirbel and osti icon range out to 1000-1500 even 2000.

You have assumed those values of 2-3k.............. the point is that as you fly slower stuff is easier to see.

Its easy to fly slow in Storch so it sees stuff more easily
An alternative example would be that at 75IAS you have a vehicle icon range of 2000yards and at 200IAS you have a vehicle icon range of 750yards. If the vehicle is moving then add another 500? yards with a generic GV icon. (you know its a GV but not what type). Unless of course the GV is hidden then there are no icons.

Values would be selected to suit best game play its the principle/mechanism I offer.

The Storch continues to be the spotter of choice, slow attack ac like the JU87G and Hurri2D suited to slower manouvering gain some advantage whilst still operating well within the range of WW & OW's. Bomb laden late war attack AC still have to know where the target is pretty much before they see an icon and if they really want an earlier icon spot then they have slowed to the very edge of their envelope. However if they have developed the skill to do so..... why not be rewarded with a RL consequence.

Performing a chandelle/combat turn to slow your speed is a viable tactic to get a better view of what might be in a target area......... however if you do attempt a 70 degree climb over a WW to slow to better icon range.... for part of that climb you were vulnerable with no or reduced icon.

Ludere Vincere