Author Topic: Why, just why?  (Read 3146 times)

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
Re: Why, just why?
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2013, 05:28:09 AM »
For what it worth for any new guy reading, when I started AH my stats were as such and what they are this ongoing tour;

Tour 105
Kills 27
Assists 12
Sorties 244
 Landed 39
 Bailed 24
 Ditched 10
 Captured 18
 Deaths 141
 Discos 12
Time hh:mm:ss 29:07:00
Rank 3721
Kills per Death + 1 - 0.14
Kills per Sortie - 0.11
Kills per Hour of Flight - 0.94
Kills Hit Percentage - 2.04
Kill Points - 8970.49
Tour 166
Kills 221
Assists 13
Sorties 98
 Landed 61
 Bailed 5
 Ditched 2
 Captured 9
 Deaths 21
 Discos 0
Time hh:mm:ss 28:08:35
Rank 4
Kills per Death + 1 - 6.14
Kills per Sortie - 2.26
Kills per Hour of Flight - 7.85
Kills Hit Percentage - 12.60
Kill Points - 31098.60

The point of these stats is to show any new guy reading that anyone can break out of the horde, and bad habits such as HOing and vulching.
If they aren't afraid of getting shot down and show real character of determination they can easily get where they want or wish to be as a fighter.
I learned via experience, painful experience at times. Just never give up if you love fighting cartoon vintage aircraft.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2013, 06:24:37 AM »
Paging DREDIOCK.   

:lol  :bolt:
-+

Point 1
It wasnt me. I havent vulched anything but GVs below 2K all week

Point 2.
I dont normally fly ponies

Point 3
 I dont go to bases specifically to vulch 99% of the time. And when I do. Its either at a base that is hording ours. In which point you deserve whatever happens. Or during an attempted base capture

Point 5  
When you can do more then gangtard yourself..then talk   :P

Point 4
I just looked up your stats. I dont see how you fly long enough to be able to tell how I fly. And in response to you not being able to catch me or out climb me. Your two main rides seem to be the Tiffy and the TA152. Not exactly goon speed. Which if as you also claimed we are closer then I thought in terms of frequency of encounter tells me you are either being outflown by me. Or you are avoiding me which inasmuch as I dont seem to have any kills on you either might mean you are smart enough to not want to become part of the keystone cop routine that usually ends up chasing me
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2013, 06:34:18 AM »
IMO, if you can't give someone a sporting chance to beat you, the AH community would be better if you quit.

This apply to the horde warriors steamrolling bases too?

If it did 3/4 of the arena would empty out

What about the guys who cant, or wont seem to fight unless its a 4,5,or 6 on one in their favor? 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 06:38:23 AM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2013, 06:45:58 AM »
Why do you let it get to you?

ack-ack

I did the same thing when I first played. Flew around in a mossie HOing everything in sight. WMlute sent me a pm on the Bbs and talked me into learning how to fly. I left the lemming squad I was in and joined one that actually went to the da to train.

Stuff like this bothers me as well, just because every new player has game potentials they may not understand. Or they leave the game because they start getting caught with their pants down and get on 200 screaming cheat.
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2013, 06:50:03 AM »
Holy hell, is it morning already?  :huh :uhoh

Unfortunately, making captures much harder tends to increase hordes and the necessity of surprise raids. And if you make captures too hard past a certain point, many players will just stop trying to capture bases... and disappear.
We had that problem showing up in the early days of the new towns when there was no white flag and 100% had to be down. It was just too frustrating and many players were disgusted. We may like it or not, but that's the way it is.

In addition, reducing the number of bases to something like 3-4 per side will also greatly reduce gameplay opportunities and variation. Remember the "capture order" test several years ago, were only 6 bases were capturable at any given time? While that indeed created giant battles at times, it also totally limited actual gameplay to those, with little variation in combats.

Great in theory, especially when I'm looking at the dreadful off-hours numbers. But I very much doubt it will work that way :(

Just making stuff harder doesn't give that encouragement either ;)

I have always felt that broadening the front would improve gameplay and make the horde harder to carry out by simply limiting the number of planes any single base can have up at any given moment. Forcing planes to up from several bases would be default broaden the front and increase the likely hood of a reasonably even encounter. While hording would still be possible. It would be more difficult to carry out
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2013, 07:10:46 AM »
I think to compete with dimension specific games, certain areas of the map should allow for gv pure and quick fighter fights.  Take ozkansas, I would remove the airfields off tt and place a wicked wind at 300 feet to 10k to dissuade bombing. I would also do the same for fighters through airspawns.  Realism guys need to get over it. The numbers I used to see online and now are very different. Many players we all know left ah for other single dimension games. I do not sit in on the board meetings, but I am a stockholder. Ah is my single outlet, like air warrior before it. I absolutely enjoy the format. But, in the end how do you economically develop to keep pace with console games (whose cheap costs are absorbed by tertiary items)? I saw the new graphic thing on YouTube, the last update to graphics cost me 1400 bucks. The fun factor of the game is going to have to be there for me to invest in another gaming system. 

Challenging to say the least.
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2013, 07:22:32 AM »
Keep in mind the addicting factor to AH is that at any one moment I can be just as good as Lusche, Latrobe, Redbull and all the other great sticks.  Of course I am not most of the time but the point is, I have my moments and that is what I play for. 

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2013, 07:23:39 AM »
Are you serious?   2006, and this is the first you've seen a newb do this or anything like it?
Yes, I am serious, but also yes, it's not the first time I have seen this.  Please understand, this is an example to illustrate something.   

Yea, there have been some mild to slightly more than mild behavioral shifts in game, there is a lot of hoing and picking going on. But this game is the same as it's always been all the way back to AW. Everyone who says different either weren't there or are over dramatizing the situation.
Perhaps it's who I run with that's changed, but I feel the WOW mentality is worsening. 

Half the guys saying different are comparing the game to it's peak, 5 or 6 years ago and blaming HOing and picking for the recessions crime.
HOing is easy to avoid 99% of the time.  I honestly can't remember when I died to a HO.  Maybe it's because I actually try to get people to go for the HO, then reverse them, or because I just don't care.

If are dieing from HO's, look me up and I will be glad to show you how to use them to your advantage. 

And like akak said, why do you let it get to you? He's an easy kill and that's what your paying 15$ for right?
Like I said, it doesn't "get to me", but it may "get to" some, and if WE as a community shun the worst offenders, it will improve the game for everyone. 

Oh, an item to note, the perpetrator of this act isn't a noob, he's been around at least a year, maybe more. 
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2013, 11:06:15 AM »
This apply to the horde warriors steamrolling bases too?
If they let you up, its at least a chance to kill one or two in a suicide run. But if they just smash the hangers and go for town, yes, they are destructive to the gameplay.

If it did 3/4 of the arena would empty out
That doesn't make it acceptable, unfortunate as it is. All that means is 3/4ths of the players are playing the game in such a manner that they harm it.

What about the guys who cant, or wont seem to fight unless its a 4,5,or 6 on one in their favor? 
ISP ban, and their callsign should be registered as a swear word in the system. That type of play is both harmful, and disgusting.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2013, 11:12:57 AM »
Of please.  The same things have been going on since I started playing AW 17 years ago.  The same arguments against it have been made for those same 17 years and guess what?  Nothings changed.  What makes you think jumping on your high horse is going to change it after all these years?

Players progress at their own pace.  Some grow out of dweebery, some never do and some quit.

Do you think everyone telling a new guy he's playing the game wrong is going to make him want to stay?  Do you honstly think that him giving YOU a chance doesn't take away his own chance for a kill?

Stop trying to tell others how to play and just play the game for what it is.  If you go into the MA with any other expectation than anything and everything can happen you'll be severly dissapointed.

All of this is ENTIRELY irrelevant. Racism had been going on for hundreds of years prior to 1863, but that doesn't mean that racism should be tolerated. And just as poor play has been going on for 17 years, that in no way means it should be tolerated when found.

As I've said, the community sets the tone; if some noob zooms in to clear your twelve o'clock when you've got the guy in the bag, and he is firmly corrected by multiple people on vox, he'll learn that it's unacceptable behavior.

But as it is, too many take a mindset resembling the US prior to WWI.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2013, 11:20:04 AM »
I simply wish you would quit this amoral mess and find a game with a population more worthy of your noble attention.

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2013, 11:35:58 AM »
-+

Point 1
It wasnt me. I havent vulched anything but GVs below 2K all week

Point 2.
I dont normally fly ponies

Point 3
 I dont go to bases specifically to vulch 99% of the time. And when I do. Its either at a base that is hording ours. In which point you deserve whatever happens. Or during an attempted base capture

Point 5  
When you can do more then gangtard yourself..then talk   :P

Point 4
I just looked up your stats. I dont see how you fly long enough to be able to tell how I fly. And in response to you not being able to catch me or out climb me. Your two main rides seem to be the Tiffy and the TA152. Not exactly goon speed. Which if as you also claimed we are closer then I thought in terms of frequency of encounter tells me you are either being outflown by me. Or you are avoiding me which inasmuch as I dont seem to have any kills on you either might mean you are smart enough to not want to become part of the keystone cop routine that usually ends up chasing me

My responses:

Point 1 Response: I know.  I was JOKING and getting a dig into you.

Point 2 Response: See point 1.  :D

Point 3 Response: I'll have to take your word for it.

Point 4 Response: Since, as you state, do not run into me much don't assume I'm a horder....oh, might want to read below.

Point 5 Response:  Yep....I like the Tiffy at times and the past few months I've been flying the 152.  However, when I do encounter you I'm low from either just taking off or in the process of landing.  I know its you because pretty much everyone says "Yep.  It's DREDIOCK" on range vox.  You fail to get kills on me because you miss....usually due to a simple evasive manuver on MY part.    

Nice try tho'!   :D
Going by "Hoplite" now. :)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2013, 03:11:35 PM »
If they let you up, its at least a chance to kill one or two in a suicide run. But if they just smash the hangers and go for town, yes, they are destructive to the gameplay.

No, they are not destructive to game play.  They are playing the game as it was designed, there is nothing stopping the defenders from trying to defend the base so the hangers and towns aren't taken down and the field captured.  You want to impose penalties on the attackers but nothing on the defenders that don't even lift a finger to defend their base.  You want combat?  Defend your base and you'll have combat.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2013, 03:20:32 PM »
No, they are not destructive to game play.  They are playing the game as it was designed, there is nothing stopping the defenders from trying to defend the base so the hangers and towns aren't taken down and the field captured.  You want to impose penalties on the attackers but nothing on the defenders that don't even lift a finger to defend their base.  You want combat?  Defend your base and you'll have combat.

ack-ack

Be careful Ack.  You are making sense here. :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2013, 05:22:12 PM »
While I respect Stampf and JG11 ....tho they never asked me to join their squad, could be because they have seen me fly german iron  :x Large numbers atacks will never work in the MA. Scenaros and FSO is for that kind of numbers. In the MA the action needs to be much quicker, and by action I mean all aspects of it including hordes and such.

I understand "why" we have hordes and I understand that they shouldn't be removed from the game much like HOing, vulching or any of the other dweebery that goes on. I do think how ever that while it has it's place, it shouldn't be the ONLY thing going on.

Hordes bring a number of things to the game, especially to those new players. "Safety in numbers" so they live a bit longer while learning to play. A place to play and "help" be part of the team, and the social side of being with the "cool kids" who know whats going on. However if hordes become the only thing many of the fights will dry up as defending against the horde for most players is a losing proposition.

HOin and vulching fall into the same category. While it is part of the learning curve if it become the norm it too will take away from game play. If everyone ALWAYS HOs, people will only "pick" instead of trying to fight. If players ALWAYS vulch the few defenders that up now won't bother.

Stopping the dweebery, not good for the game, but curbing it a bit might help.