Author Topic: MA Off-peak is dying  (Read 14980 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: MA Off-peak is dying
« Reply #75 on: November 21, 2013, 08:44:46 PM »
Why not a carrier war now and then or a Solomon Islands map that would encourage dogfights in The Slot?
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2013, 08:51:11 PM »
I know this is a far out idea but ,a lot of times there is like two bishes attacking rooks and 3 rooks there and 4 nits attacking bish with 1 nit their.
What would make for better fights now that numbers are where they are at is if we had only 2 country's?
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2013, 08:58:38 PM »
Defenders hardly defend... especially against 5-7 on 1 odds, why bother?

I wonder if this would change if suddenly you couldn't see anyone's stats, just your own.  I think that the majority of people have at least some amount of score potato in their blood because they know that they will be judged by their stats within the community.  I believe that this underlying need to protect ego by protecting stats causes many people to fly much more timidly as possible.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: November 21, 2013, 09:03:15 PM »
I know this is a far out idea but ,a lot of times there is like two bishes attacking rooks and 3 rooks there and 4 nits attacking bish with 1 nit their.
What would make for better fights now that numbers are where they are at is if we had only 2 country's?

That's what we had in Warbirds and it worked well.  With lower numbers three countries is one too many.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2013, 09:11:02 PM »

The only way you could do a 2 sided country set-up would be to use a forced side balancing thing. Other wise people would log in and join the side with numbers just to be on the "winning side".

I wonder if this would change if suddenly you couldn't see anyone's stats, just your own.  I think that the majority of people have at least some amount of score potato in their blood because they know that they will be judged by their stats within the community.  I believe that this underlying need to protect ego by protecting stats causes many people to fly much more timidly as possible.

I think it's more that fighting against 5 to 1 odds just isn't all that much fun. I'll up once or twice, but getting wheels up and a few turn and maybe a shot or two before getting hit by 3 guys gets old fast. I hate sitting in the tower listening to the "hits" on my plane go on and on and on.  Why would anyone WANT to defend against stuff like that? Unless your really good at dodging, and have a crap load of luck it is more an exercise in futility than getting your plane to sink in the sea on an AH map!

Even if it is score that holds them back, add a multiplier for the out number guys at a base. Could it/would it be abused? Not any more than the rest of the score system.  :rolleyes: There is no reward for defending, and when hopelessly out numbered it isn't even remotely fun for most people.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: November 21, 2013, 09:21:25 PM »
Why not a carrier war now and then or a Solomon Islands map that would encourage dogfights in The Slot?

Snapshots are awesome and quite a few times i've done the solomons scenario, unfortunately barely even 20-30 show up for it. Its well worth the fight, last time was F4u-1 and P38G against Tony's and A6m3's
JG 52

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #81 on: November 21, 2013, 09:21:52 PM »
The only way you could do a 2 sided country set-up would be to use a forced side balancing thing. Other wise people would log in and join the side with numbers just to be on the "winning side".

I dont agree so much with this,if all 20 people playing are on the same side and sitting in the tower because the other country is empty,i think plenty will side balance like so often happens in MidWar.
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 21, 2013, 09:24:02 PM »
I dont agree so much with this,if all 20 people playing are on the same side and sitting in the tower because the other country is empty,i think plenty will side balance like so often happens in MidWar.

And EW was ruined that way... 12 players on one side, 1 or 2 on the other, and none of the 12 would ever switch (but at some point heavily whine about the 'unfair' ENY)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #83 on: November 21, 2013, 09:25:27 PM »
And EW was ruined that way... 12 players on one side, 1 or 2 on the other, and none of the 12 would ever switch (but at some point heavily whine about the 'unfair' ENY)
Early for a long time has had a squad that loves to milk run.I think late war players have a bit more fight in em... a bit

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 21, 2013, 09:34:12 PM »
Early for a long time has had a squad that loves to milk run.I think late war players have a bit more fight in em... a bit

Most players are very country loyal and will stay on their team almost no matter what... and rather log off due to eny than switch sides. You can currently see that at offpeak hours, where bishland often has massive numerical advantage and often horrid ENY (ENY 24 not rare)... and all you see are heavy complaints about the ENY system, often followed by "screw this, I'm loggin, fix that crap HiTech"

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #85 on: November 21, 2013, 09:38:33 PM »
Most players are very country loyal and will stay on their team almost no matter what... and rather log off due to eny than switch sides. You can currently see that at offpeak hours, where bishland often has massive numerical advantage and often horrid ENY (ENY 24 not rare)... and all you see are heavy complaints about the ENY system, often followed by "screw this, I'm loggin, fix that crap HiTech"

That's what we had in Warbirds and it worked well.  With lower numbers three countries is one too many.

Well it has worked in other places and AH needs help.I think trying knew things because bad things MIGHT happen is to easy handed. I notice many people offer things that might help and many other players like to talk about what might happen.Not that your not right,but doing nothing is not helping.

Offline ReVo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #86 on: November 21, 2013, 09:43:08 PM »
The other day I watched a pilot (We'll call him Bob) scream and rant at a newer player (We'll call him Steve). The ranting was caused because Bob was being chased by a Pony, and instead of trying to fight said Pony he was running in a straight line on the deck stick stirring for all he was worth while berating Steve because he wasn't catching and killing the Pony in his F6F.

Yes it's Bob's fifteen bucks and if he wants to fly like a tard he can. But the way that you play the game effects how much or how little everybody you come into contact with enjoys their fifteen bucks, which in turn effects how many fifteen dollar subscription fees HTC receives each month. In my opinion the players who put "winning", score, and saving face above all else have done more harm to Aces High then any problems the game might have.
XO Jagdgeschwader 53 'Pik As'

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #87 on: November 21, 2013, 09:51:49 PM »
Well it has worked in other places and AH needs help.I think trying knew things because bad things MIGHT happen is to easy handed. I notice many people offer things that might help and many other players like to talk about what might happen.Not that your not right,but doing nothing is not helping.

Agreed, there are some ideas that are just plain.. well, they wouldn't work.  However, some ideas I've encountered could work or at least assist with problems like this.   

The other day I watched a pilot (We'll call him Bob) scream and rant at a newer player (We'll call him Steve). The ranting was caused because Bob was being chased by a Pony, and instead of trying to fight said Pony he was running in a straight line on the deck stick stirring for all he was worth while berating Steve because he wasn't catching and killing the Pony in his F6F.

Yes it's Bob's fifteen bucks and if he wants to fly like a tard he can. But the way that you play the game effects how much or how little everybody you come into contact with enjoys their fifteen bucks, which in turn effects how many fifteen dollar subscription fees HTC receives each month. In my opinion the players who put "winning", score, and saving face above all else have done more harm to Aces High then any problems the game might have.

Scores do no one any favors.

Yeah, a few names come to mind.    The phrase "All these people here, and no one can check 6 me?" 

If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 21, 2013, 10:07:32 PM »
Not that your not right,but doing nothing is not helping.

Well, I do fully agree that something big has to happen, but just doing something for the sake of doing something is not unlikely to make things work. It's easier to (further) break stuff that to fix it  :old:

Most ideas soung great initially and/or from an individual point of view, but would have a lot unintended consequences. That includes my own ideas...  ;)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 10:09:13 PM by Lusche »

Offline Golden Dragon

• Copper Member
« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2013, 10:38:26 PM »

I think I might have been the chasing Pony.  I emptied my 51B's clip into a wiggler the other day.   Thinking the whole time that this was ridiculous.  Try reversing, it's fun, extends the fight, and half the time (or more), you'll force me out front and get me with the snapshot.  Stick stirring is like diving down to pick a bandit when a squadron-mate is having a good rolling fight.  Just don't do it.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 10:42:33 PM by Golden Dragon »
Fight's on!