Author Topic: Done with Nortons Antivirus.  (Read 1632 times)

Offline Patches1

• Nickel Member
Re: Done with Nortons Antivirus.
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 06:22:25 AM »
Any thoughts about VIPRE ?
"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, General, USMC

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2013, 06:24:09 AM »
I use ESET Smart Security as it's the most gaming friendly anti-virus/malware program I've used. 

ack-ack

From all the various complaints we get to deal with, Avast, AVG, Norton, McAfee are the worst of the lot, in terms of impacting games.  ESET has consistently been the best.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2013, 09:21:26 AM »
Great minds think alike.

(Image removed from quote.)

ack-ack

Damn straight my brother

YITB
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2013, 10:52:38 AM »
Trend micro has been wonderful for me. I buy a family pack every year.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2013, 11:06:25 AM »
Thats just it, MSE does not have the protections many other suites do because it expects IE and outlook to block 'dangerous' files by default. If you use firefox or chrome to browse or an alternative e-mail client, MSE is fatally flawed immediately. And quite ironically using IE to browse is one of the worst mistakes one can do in general so it's a no win situation basically.

We use MSE at work and have had no problems as far as I know.  Some folks use IE, some use chrome, some use Firefox, and none of us uses Outlook (we use Thunderbird and Lightning instead, which I like a lot better).  We do browse all kinds of stuff at work, not just a few work-related sites.  I think that MSE is decent.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2013, 11:10:37 AM »
We use MSE at work and have had no problems as far as I know.  Some folks use IE, some use chrome, some use Firefox, and none of us uses Outlook (we use Thunderbird and Lightning instead, which I like a lot better).  We do browse all kinds of stuff at work, not just a few work-related sites.  I think that MSE is decent.

If you have had no problems it just means none of your users happened to click on anything bad so far. You probably would have done good without any protection ;)
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2013, 12:27:37 PM »
If you have had no problems it just means none of your users happened to click on anything bad so far. You probably would have done good without any protection ;)

Maybe, but I suspect that MSE is OK given web surfing habits of folks in our company is about the same as a home user, and we get plenty of malicious spam sent to the company.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2013, 02:34:18 PM »

Kind of a general question, what stops things like malicious code coming in from browsing without downloading a file and opening it?  I'm thinking in terms of 'You're our 1 millionth visitor' type crap.  Doesn't stuff like MSE or ESET or what have you prevent that kind of thing from opening?  I obviously never click the links, but I had always assumed the real time protection aspects of most antivirus would (attempt to) stop that kind of thing.  Am I pretty much only getting by on the fact that I don't click the links and kill the browser manually if something really weird pops up?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2013, 03:02:15 PM »
Kind of a general question, what stops things like malicious code coming in from browsing without downloading a file and opening it?  I'm thinking in terms of 'You're our 1 millionth visitor' type crap.  Doesn't stuff like MSE or ESET or what have you prevent that kind of thing from opening?  I obviously never click the links, but I had always assumed the real time protection aspects of most antivirus would (attempt to) stop that kind of thing.  Am I pretty much only getting by on the fact that I don't click the links and kill the browser manually if something really weird pops up?

Wiley.

ESET does, don't know about MSE. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2013, 03:19:12 PM »
I just use Firefox and self restraint :old:
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline Kenne

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2013, 04:10:36 PM »
ESET has consistently been the best.

ESET all-in-one or just the AV/Aphish version?
Women are like the Government. They have no problem that can't be solved by throwing money at it!
لقد حصلت على تذكرتين إلى الجنة

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2013, 06:44:18 AM »

The A/V product.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2013, 09:47:30 AM »
All-in-One versions of any anti-xxx product will cripple your system. Period.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2013, 10:13:28 AM »
All-in-One versions of any anti-xxx product will cripple your system. Period.

So the gamer mode on ESET Smart Security 7 doesn't work?   It does and I rarely have to enable it when playing ANY GAME.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2013, 10:28:25 AM »

Wiley.

Disabling flash, java and javascript stops most browser based attacks to their tracks. Using Firefox with noscript and not installing java and/or adobe reader at all goes a long way and this is all that's needed to stop the 'you've won blablabla' crap and popup windows. Windows XP is also vulnerable to a JPG exploit where code is executed simply by viewing a tailored jpg image, but this has been fixed in all OSes after it.

Foxit PDF reader does everything that adobe reader does, free, faster and safer. Noscript blocks also flash scripts from running so if you're into browser based games you're going to have to risk and enable flash case by case if you want the flash game to run. I run noscript even on linux and OSX while browsing and I've decided that if a website doesn't display properly without enabling scripts on it, I don't need to use it.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone