Author Topic: PB1 Rockets  (Read 1797 times)

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
Re: PB1 Rockets
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2013, 08:31:54 PM »
You haven't downloaded any of this years Historic packs I posted? The AAF rocket aid and Revi 16D are in them. The other thing is a generation 10 series I'm working on for myself. I test the real world reticle aids to understand how they work and why with the blue thingies. Always wondered why no one asked why the AAF rocket aid was two angled lines. One for each wing because the rockets shoot straight ahead. The space between the lines is the Mil width at distance the rockets are mounted under the wings.

The mossi wingspan requires wider marks for "one off" target placement in the game. Same aim points as the Fw190 F8. Rockets were fired in salvos as an area saturation in ww2. I'm betting the germans setting up firing two from each wing was to saturate against a tank or vehicle while point aiming favoring the wing side. By the way, the rockets in the Yak7B use the same aim points as the Fw190 F8. You aim rockets from the IL2 with the left and right edge of the inner ring at 400.

Latest Historic pack....: http://www60.zippyshare.com/v/58544012/file.html

Unzip on your HD. Readmes for each country folder. Each bmp file must have it's mil file copied with it to the sights directory.

I've got them now!  :salute Thank you

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2013, 07:10:49 PM »
Mk-84,

I was doing some offline testing and arrived at and interesting conclusion. If you are attempting to attack a target to favor pinpoint aiming of a single rocket from its position relative to the wing. Make sure that your line up run is not actually starting out dead on centered to the gunsight but, then, when you favor the aim point aid in the gunsight, left or right. You haven't also yawed the fighter's line of travel so that you are attacking 1-2 degrees at an angle, left or right to the target.

The results will be a miss to the opposite side of the target. It is showcased in an extreme with the mossi, because the rockets are mounted so far apart out on the wings. So lining up your initial straight line run has to be slightly offside. Unless you are shooting at buildings, a CV or using concussion to destroy auto ack.

In offline practice with all of the rocket types flying in the IL2 to the Mossi. 400 yards had the best accuracy result. I used up most of the rockets getting the off sided approach run squared away. It was always the last or second to last rocket that I lined up a dead on shot and the tank blew up. Other wise I kept a constant ring of blown up tarmac within 20ft of the tank in a ring around it. This was if I was selecting a single rocket.

Salvo's of 2, about the same. By the last run I killed the tank with one of the rockets. Setting for higher salvo numbers is really putting all of your eggs in one basket so to say. In practice when you watch players in the game do this with all rockets fired in a single salvo or simply tapping the button as fast as possible. If their initial aim point is over the top of the tank. All of their rockets hit past the tank. Or some combo of the first hits short and the rest hit long. Very few have ever practiced to know their 400 yard aim point. And you see this close up tank hunting while defending a base with an IL2.

If you cannot point aim 2 rockets at a tank from 400, it is worthless to salvo anymore. At least if you miss with 2, you have something to think about to correct for your next run. Barring the fact that Hitech has made tanks single shot 75-88mm skeet shooting self defense flack wagons. And most tankers can hit a fly between the eyes at 400 yards with their own eyes closed these days.

***NOTE***
For the best accuracy with rockets, you need to have your fighter at a minimum of 300mph, faster is better within limits. Achieving this means a long straight run or dive making you tank skeet shooting fodder as you wait for 400 yards for your best accuracy. After action reports in ww2 by typhoon pilots did not warn to never ever attack tanks because they could single shot you from the air with their main guns like Wyatt Earp. Rockets were just very inaccurate for targets that small. Bombs worked better. Ships, buildings, trains and road convoys were better targets.

**Updated**
I forgot to mention, testing by the British with 60lb rockets resulted in 9 hits on tank sized targets for 116 rockets fired at 400 yards. WW2 rockets are not really pinpoint accurate devices.

Using the AAF 1944 N9, L3, Mk8 rocket\bomb aid as an overlay to common historic gunsights, here are examples of how to visualize aiming for 400-800 yards. I'm including the bomb markers. Specific British gunsights had the ability to lower the center dot to account for rockets or bombs.

AAF N9, L3 and Mk8 Rocket\Bomb aid reticle.

Revi16 D

PBP1 Early used by the Yak 7B.

US NAVY Mk8

The two below are the differences in the width of the rocket wing mountings for the Typhoon and Mosquito.

Typhoon

Mosquito

« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 07:59:33 PM by bustr »
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2013, 11:25:48 AM »
Thanks bustr, that was very informative. I'll try the mossie gunsight.

Indeed due to the very wide spacing in the mossie rocket mounts I found them to be useless to me unless hitting hangars. Even small town building I often miss unless I remember from which wing the next rocket will come and compensate by eye. On top of this, the rocket rails, unlike the bomb, add a lot of drag and seriously limit my ability as a fighter after rockets are off.

by the way, what do the tick marks on the horizontal and vertical lines indicate in the mossie sight? I suppose that the fat ones are range for a typical fighter wingspan? What about the lower two thin tick marks on the vertical cross line?

Finally, do I need to set my head position at a certain location in the cockpit?

Barring the fact that Hitech has made tanks single shot 75-88mm skeet shooting self defense flack wagons. And most tankers can hit a fly between the eyes at 400 yards with their own eyes closed these days.
That is the result of the "do everything from the commander position using your helmet mounted HUD" arcade approach.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2013, 04:59:07 PM »
Thanks bustr, that was very informative. I'll try the mossie gunsight.

Indeed due to the very wide spacing in the mossie rocket mounts I found them to be useless to me unless hitting hangars. Even small town building I often miss unless I remember from which wing the next rocket will come and compensate by eye. On top of this, the rocket rails, unlike the bomb, add a lot of drag and seriously limit my ability as a fighter after rockets are off.

by the way, what do the tick marks on the horizontal and vertical lines indicate in the mossie sight? I suppose that the fat ones are range for a typical fighter wingspan? What about the lower two thin tick marks on the vertical cross line?

Finally, do I need to set my head position at a certain location in the cockpit?
That is the result of the "do everything from the commander position using your helmet mounted HUD" arcade approach.

Bozon,

Don't use the graphic. Here, if you want my "Blue Thingy" rocket testing reticle for the Mossi only.

The two lower horizontal stadi are from the N9 rocket\bomb aid for glide bombing. No matter how I bomb with a Mossi, I always seem to drop 50ft short of the target. Now rockets are another thing. Unzoomed the center dot stands out. I'm attempting to wean myself from using zoom for shooting as much due to missing some maneuvering opportunities only visible in default PoV. This gunsight is a distillation of the concepts from the Revi and PBP gunsights which are specifically designed from the issues related to centerline mounted cannon and MG. If you experiment with low E turns while shooting, you will notice the bottom of the 50Mil stadia rests inline with the con's wings as you turn and shoot. The Italians developed that concept from the Revi reticle with the San Giorgio Tipo C reticle.

Copy both the bmp and mil file to your sights directory.

http://www25.zippyshare.com/v/60722779/file.html

Main ring = 105Mil
Large Stadia Mark = 50Mil
Small Stadia Mark = 25Mil <---- Also just about the pipper for the 20mm due to their belly mount location.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.