Author Topic: PB1 Rockets  (Read 1799 times)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
Re: PB1 Rockets
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2013, 01:03:12 PM »
I have never had any luck with American rockets on tanks but I may not have salvo'ed  the launch high enough.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2013, 01:30:31 PM »
Nope.  You probably wont, either.  The Soviet RS82 rockets are first and foremost HE, and secondly the weakest in the game.  They do the same damage to OBJ as the German Pb1 rockets (93 lbs), but do not have the AP ability.  However, I've had great luck using them against lighter skinned gv's (M3, M8, M18, Wirbys, etc).  

FYI:  I've only destroyed tanks using the PB1 rockets (designated anti-tank rockets), the British 60 Pdr rockets (SAP, and best air to ground rocket in game), and the US 5in HVAR.  I have yet to get a legit kill shot using either of the Soviet rockets or the US 4.5in rocket.  I think the only reason I got the 1 kill I did using the 5in HVAR was luck, I just happen to hit the top of the turret of a Panzer IV F2 with almost a perpendicular impact.  Otherwise, the 5in HVAR rockets just glance off the armor in most cases as it is purely HE.  As I said earlier, the British 60 Pdr rockets are the best air to ground rockets in the game dealing 187 lbs of HE damage to OBJ, and thanks to their warhead they do bust up tanks well enough too, but not as easy as the German Pb1.  

Again... for those of you trying to bust tanks with rockets, I highly suggest you LEARN the firing order or else you're just wasting rockets.  The 190F-8 is the only plane that fires 2 rockets from the same wing, otherwise everything else is single rockets at a time.  Firing three is a waste if you're firing at a tank. 

Didn't the Germans typically salvo 4-6 rockets?
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2013, 03:21:02 PM »
Didn't the Germans typically salvo 4-6 rockets?

Perhaps.  There are a lot of things that happened in the real deal that do not or can not happen in AH.  In AH, if you're diving on a tank in a perfect 30° angle of attack and put your gun sight dead center on a Sherman, Panzer, T34, or even a Tiger you're probably going to hit WIDE regardless if you fire 1,2,4,6, or all 12.  Like I've suggested, roll up a 190F-8 to a parked tank offline and see just where you rockets are pointing when you're nose is in the center of the tank (they hit the very tip or are wide).  The only 2 exceptions are the Panther and King Tiger because they are longer, still I aim at the leading edge and not fire more than 2 rockets.  Also, do a few test runs and record the impact (and observe while testing).  In the real deal I'm sure it was a more of a "oh look, there is the column of T34's", and in they went on their 1 or maybe 2 attack passes before they got out of the area.  I'm sure they lined up and let loose a volley of all 12 rockets knowing that they may not get a second chance, or maybe just a volley of 4-6 rockets knowing they might get another shot.  What little I have read said that even though the pilots "aimed" the rockets, they knew the accuracy was not as a cannon and so the area effect was used.  I'm not 100% sure.  However, in AH, you can be rest assured where your rockets are aimed and where they will hit.

Trust me.  Fire no more than two Pb1 rockets and for the first 2 rockets aim at the RIGHT edge of the tank (on a broadside shot).  The two rockets will impact very close to center.  If you aim center line on the tank your rockets will hit wide LEFT.  For the second 2 rockets aim to the LEFT edge of the tank.  Etc.  Once you get the left/right figured out them you need to learn the rocket trajectory.  That too can be tricky but let gravity help you.   :aok
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 03:30:54 PM by SmokinLoon »
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2013, 07:01:21 PM »
Not only that I can't remember having done any such a thing deliberately, I also can't find any 262 kill by me in a tank since we got the Crater map...  :headscratch:

And the only kill of Mk-84 in a 262 by me that I can find was in tour 137, with me being in a P-51D  :old:

I must be wrong then but gosh I swear I that was you because I clearly remember being surprised and pissed (ingame pissed) about it.
If it wasn't you I wonder who it was :noid It was a hell of a shot for somebody.  Someone step up, that has to be something you'd remember.
even if I apparently cant :uhoh

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2013, 07:23:30 PM »
If it wasn't you I wonder who it was :noid It was a hell of a shot for somebody.  Someone step up, that has to be something you'd remember.
even if I apparently cant :uhoh

Well if it was Crater... I found quite a number of tanks with kill credits on your 262 since CMA was introduced:

M4(75) - Fish62
Panther - Aihru
M4(76) - redctchr
M18 - Aleric, Tripod1
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2013, 07:28:13 PM »
every time I have tried to kill a tank with rockets from my pony, I always miss.  but more than a few times, i have marked tanks with rockets , just aiming in the general direction only to be awarded a kill.  go figure.

he's a tiger, i rushed to mark for our friendly tank as there was an enemy con entering town.

semp

you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2013, 07:29:42 PM »
I fly the P38J to rocket gv. The rockets are near centerline of ac so they pretty much go where I point the pipper.
92 Squadron RAF - Aut pugna aut morere - 'Either fight or die'

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2013, 07:46:01 PM »
Well if it was Crater... I found quite a number of tanks with kill credits on your 262 since CMA was introduced:

M4(75) - Fish62
Panther - Aihru
M4(76) - redctchr
M18 - Aleric, Tripod1

Oh man that's embarrasing :confused:

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2013, 04:53:52 AM »
Any of you guys ever wondered how the Germans aimed those rockets using the Revi reticle?

I'll put up some show and tell tomorrow. It's pretty simple in a DouH!! kind of way. You just have to remember any accuracy was from 400m(437yds) and closer. At which point you really only have two aim points in your Revi 16D reticle. Those sneaky germans didn't put all those thingies in the reticle just to clutter up your ability to see the other guy.

I'm going to bed now. Pictures tomorrow.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline USCH

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2013, 04:53:24 PM »
I get my Internet back today, so expect a lot more pb tank kills in the coming months.

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2013, 05:17:35 PM »
I expect to be back in the game in the very near future so expect to see the 190F8 to get a bump in GV kills......

Fw 190F-8    50    1    0    11

<S>
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 05:20:41 PM by MORAY37 »
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline USCH

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2013, 05:24:10 PM »
I expect to be back in the game in the very near future so expect to see the 190F8 to get a bump in GV kills......

Fw 190F-8    50    1    0    11

<S>
we will have to wing together.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2013, 05:25:54 PM »
The custom blue gunsight has PB1 rocket aid for 400 and 800 specifically to use with the Fw190 F8. You just have to remember if salvo is set to 1, that it starts firing from the left wing with the F8 and fires two from each side before switching to the other wing. If you are shooting buildings or a CV it doesn't matter.

Left Wing [12.11].[8.7].[4.3]  [|]  [2.1].[6.5].[10.9] Right Wing

Based on the German description for usage, you need to be 300mph or above on your attack run. And not fire until 400m to hit anything. That seems to be the standard during ww2 for rocket firing across all countries. With the PB1 in this game, as you come up on 400yds, you need the aim point for the wing side the PB1 will be firing from center on your tank. I tested rockets from other aircraft and they all fly pretty much straight out. So that may be why hitting tanks is often problematical while concussion destruction of ack and hitting buildings is easy.

You can use the AAF rocket guide with the Typhoon and nail tanks at 400 once you start aiming with the side rail marker. Other wise aiming dead center you are hitting the tank by accident due to not being able to hold a steady center during an approach run. I was watching my offline testing and it was always one rocket of a two salvo that hit the tank.

Custom PB1 Rocket Aid Gunsight.

Revi 16D and How the German Pilots Aimed PB1.

AAF 5in HVAR rocket aid with side guides for each wing.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2013, 07:04:24 PM »
where can I download these?

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2013, 07:34:29 PM »
You haven't downloaded any of this years Historic packs I posted? The AAF rocket aid and Revi 16D are in them. The other thing is a generation 10 series I'm working on for myself. I test the real world reticle aids to understand how they work and why with the blue thingies. Always wondered why no one asked why the AAF rocket aid was two angled lines. One for each wing because the rockets shoot straight ahead. The space between the lines is the Mil width at distance the rockets are mounted under the wings.

The mossi wingspan requires wider marks for "one off" target placement in the game. Same aim points as the Fw190 F8. Rockets were fired in salvos as an area saturation in ww2. I'm betting the germans setting up firing two from each wing was to saturate against a tank or vehicle while point aiming favoring the wing side. By the way, the rockets in the Yak7B use the same aim points as the Fw190 F8. You aim rockets from the IL2 with the left and right edge of the inner ring at 400.

Latest Historic pack....: http://www60.zippyshare.com/v/58544012/file.html

Unzip on your HD. Readmes for each country folder. Each bmp file must have it's mil file copied with it to the sights directory.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing