Author Topic: 50's are different in different planes?  (Read 1510 times)

Offline BBP

• Copper Member
50's are different in different planes?
« on: January 07, 2014, 01:32:08 AM »
Why can I blow the crap out of everything in a F6F and when I fly the P-51 its like I'm shooting BB's? (SAME CONVERGENCE) ????? HELP! :ahand :bhead :bhead :bhead

Offline BluBerry

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: 50's are different in different planes?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 01:49:26 AM »
 You can fire 5 different handguns of all identical caliber and none will shoot alike. Its all about the entire package.. or in this case, aircraft.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 01:50:25 AM »
What help do you need other than working on your aim?  Lethality of the .50 calibers is the same for every plane equipped with machine guns.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 01:58:35 AM »
It's probably time on target. P51s are fast and you spend less time shooting the plane. F6Fs are slow and you can sit on their 6 while turning and just fill them with led all day.

Offline LLv34_Dictonius

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 02:51:40 AM »
Why can I blow the crap out of everything in a F6F and when I fly the P-51 its like I'm shooting BB's? (SAME CONVERGENCE) ????? HELP! :ahand :bhead :bhead :bhead

All the prolly right answers aside (above), I was thinking exactly the same thing this morning! :eek:
Current handle: Tikto
Member of the big finnish squadron Vaasan Vaakalentäjät

Offline Redd

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 05:25:52 AM »
On my setup the 51 feels a bit bouncy in the nose and the hellcat feels rock solid
I come from a land downunder

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 08:47:06 AM »
On my setup the 51 feels a bit bouncy in the nose and the hellcat feels rock solid

I dont think its your setup.  I've always felt the Hellcat was a more stable gun platform....but I'm terrible with .50s so dont take my word for it.   ;)
Going by "Hoplite" now. :)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 09:20:53 AM »
What Latrobe said.  Closure rate and even wing gun spread can make just enough difference to throw your gun eye off not to mention changes in lag.

I will switch between the P38 and P47.  I don't have near as much trouble with the switch if I do it often.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 09:51:06 AM »
My theory on it is something to do with the way the plane handles and the geometry between your LOS and where the guns are mounted on the pony.  I have decent-ish gunnery in the P47, F6F, F4F, and F4U's, but I also often feel less effective in the pony for some reason.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 10:40:25 AM »
My theory on it is something to do with the way the plane handles and the geometry between your LOS and where the guns are mounted on the pony.  I have decent-ish gunnery in the P47, F6F, F4F, and F4U's, but I also often feel less effective in the pony for some reason.

Wiley.
Same here...  I find Pee-51's fun to fly, but I don't kill much in them... 
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 10:44:34 AM »
I've always put this down to speed and momentum.

If there is no closure or the enemy is ducking and weaving it does on average seem to take more to put them down. 

A perfect cherry at 500mph and they die in an instant.   

50cal has to be one of if not thee best armament in game.   Fly a P51B for awhile get used to having 4 guns and then when you go back to 6 or 8 it is just ridiculous.  Convergence is usually 300 for me with it.   
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 10:58:23 AM »
It may also be the fact that F6F has much more ammo than the PonyD.

This doesn't change the impact of the 50 cals, just the psychology of it: Since you have more ammo in the Hellcat you are inclined to hold the trigger longer; the PonyD less so you use more burst. And in both cases, you may not be aware of it.

I know those rare occassions I fly the Spit I barely touch the cannons because there are so few. The Butcher Birds with 500x20mm, not as cautious.

Just a guess.

boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 11:11:44 AM »
It may also be the fact that F6F has much more ammo than the PonyD.

This doesn't change the impact of the 50 cals, just the psychology of it: Since you have more ammo in the Hellcat you are inclined to hold the trigger longer; the PonyD less so you use more burst. And in both cases, you may not be aware of it.

I know those rare occassions I fly the Spit I barely touch the cannons because there are so few. The Butcher Birds with 500x20mm, not as cautious.

Just a guess.

boo

That's an interesting thought, but if that's a factor for me, it's DEEPLY unconscious.  There are only 2 planes I can think of where I am even remotely thinking about my ammo counter.  The 109s with 30mm and the Spit 5.

Anything else, and .50 equipped planes in particular, I'm generally thinking 'hold trigger for 1 second' when I get a good shot.  I don't actually hold it for a second, but I generally fire in relatively long bursts.  I'm not interested in efficiency, I'm interested in killing the guy that's in my sights. ;)

One of these days I'm going to spend a couple weeks in the pony just to try to figure out what is messing me up in it.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Vortex

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 01:49:53 PM »
This is a bit of a guess on my part, but the reason the stallfighter .50's feel like they have more pop than the b&z .50 could be related to convergence, and its effects.

As I recall the .50 calls are more noticeably affected by convergence since they do not explode like a cannon. So when you have them all hitting at the same spot/time that collective energy gives them a big boost...you're getting a lot of focused damage done on one spot. With a stallfighter you tend to sit in that convergence sweet spot much longer during a fight, therefore it appears that when you shoot, you do more damage. With a b&z ride, alternatively, you can be through the sweet spot before you pull the trigger, or alternatively not even get to it, thus giving the impression that the guns are not hitting as hard.

My two bits anywhooo.
--)-Vortex----
The Musketeers, circa 1990

AH In-Game Handle: Vort

Offline BluBerry

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 01:55:16 PM »
This is a bit of a guess on my part, but the reason the stallfighter .50's feel like they have more pop than the b&z .50 could be related to convergence, and its effects.

As I recall the .50 calls are more noticeably affected by convergence since they do not explode like a cannon. So when you have them all hitting at the same spot/time that collective energy gives them a big boost...you're getting a lot of focused damage done on one spot. With a stallfighter you tend to sit in that convergence sweet spot much longer during a fight, therefore it appears that when you shoot, you do more damage. With a b&z ride, alternatively, you can be through the sweet spot before you pull the trigger, or alternatively not even get to it, thus giving the impression that the guns are not hitting as hard.

My two bits anywhooo.

Good point.