Author Topic: P-51D Skin Wanted - But Can It Be Done?  (Read 6884 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: P-51D Skin Wanted - But Can It Be Done?
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2014, 12:00:56 PM »
Also, weren't the upper wing surfaces on the Mustangs generally painted, lacquered, or something? I seem to recall reading somewhere that the wing tops were seldom actually BMF like the fuselage.

I read that in Greebo's metal tutorial link...   You are right about that.  Wish I had known that before I started weathering it. Lol
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 01:47:48 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2014, 12:02:33 PM »
The spec map has made the skin look a lot better.

The skin could do with some weathering though. Looking at the photo there is a faint exhaust stain running back from the exhaust and curling down in line with the airflow running across the top of the wing.

You could also try creating a noise effect across the skin to avoid the colours looking too solid and fake. To do this make a copy of the base paint layer in the main skin file and name it "noise effect". Place the layer above all your paint and metal layers and then change the colour of the layer to a solid mid grey like 128/128/128. In Paint Shop Pro the noise effect is reached through the menus via Adjust, then Add/Remove Noise, then Add Noise. I set the dots to random and 50% then click OK. You'll have to figure out exactly how to reach this effect if you use Photoshop or Gimp or whatever. What the noise effect does is create loads of little bright red, green and blue random dots all over your grey layer. Now reduce the opacity of this layer until you can barely see it, say 2%-4% opacity. The paint and metal will now have a slightly scruffy, worn look to it.

I am thinking the black we see is from boot scuffs possibly... WD*S has some exhaust residue in the black and white picture.   However... Look at the later color photos with the all-yellow tail scheme.  Those airplanes are spotlessly clean (relatively speaking), wouldn't you agree?

I will get to work on the noise layer next, per your suggestions.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 01:27:38 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2014, 11:13:03 PM »
Also, weren't the upper wing surfaces on the Mustangs generally painted, lacquered, or something? I seem to recall reading somewhere that the wing tops were seldom actually BMF like the fuselage.

Been doing some research.   The silver paint was not universal.  Many airplanes had a natural metal wing finish depending on various factors.   Airplanes stripped of their OD paint were NMF.  Some planes had the silver paint and putty removed after wear and tear ate into it.  Some were delivered NMF.  

So now what I have to do is determine what Jo-Baby came with.  

The ailerons and flaps were unpainted even on the NMF birds....    And the bw picture shows the flap reflecting some sunlight.....   Perhaps after I add the noise I can turn the spec map down for the wings to differentiate them from the fuse, ailerons, and flaps.

Also, if putty was used to keep the wing surface smooth then bump mapping would be slight at most on them....
”KILLER V”

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2014, 03:09:55 AM »
Like this?

If we ever get the skin updater, I hope to put this in
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2014, 01:45:44 PM »
Like this?

If we ever get the skin updater, I hope to put this in

That's my take.  Not sure offhand how much difference there is between them.  That's a judgment call.  Nice skin, too.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 03:25:10 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2014, 05:28:38 PM »
”KILLER V”

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2014, 06:12:28 PM »
Greebs,

If I want to make the flaps look different from the wing, is that primarily via the spec map, the base layer, or both?  I have turned down the flashing on the wing but for some reason, to my eye any way, it looks the same as the flaps and ailerons (which are pure white on the spec map).
”KILLER V”

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2014, 06:25:10 PM »
You only see a difference in specularity when your viewpoint is angled to catch a reflected highlight from the sun. If you want the difference to be more visible from any angle you should add some sort of painted on reflections to the base skin as well. This could be a blue hint to the top and a greenish hint to the bottom of the control surfaces, as if they were reflecting the sky and ground. Or just make the bare metal bits a little lighter than the painted area of the wing. But whatever you decide to do, keep it subtle.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2014, 05:48:34 PM »
The spec map has made the skin look a lot better.

The skin could do with some weathering though. Looking at the photo there is a faint exhaust stain running back from the exhaust and curling down in line with the airflow running across the top of the wing.

You could also try creating a noise effect across the skin to avoid the colours looking too solid and fake. To do this make a copy of the base paint layer in the main skin file and name it "noise effect". Place the layer above all your paint and metal layers and then change the colour of the layer to a solid mid grey like 128/128/128. In Paint Shop Pro the noise effect is reached through the menus via Adjust, then Add/Remove Noise, then Add Noise. I set the dots to random and 50% then click OK. You'll have to figure out exactly how to reach this effect if you use Photoshop or Gimp or whatever. What the noise effect does is create loads of little bright red, green and blue random dots all over your grey layer. Now reduce the opacity of this layer until you can barely see it, say 2%-4% opacity. The paint and metal will now have a slightly scruffy, worn look to it.

Done.   Not sure if I need more than 4% or not.   I am guessing it shouldn't be readily noticeable, but will have an effect nonetheless...
”KILLER V”

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2014, 04:06:04 PM »
Greene,

Should I noise up the Spec a Map, too?
”KILLER V”

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #85 on: April 07, 2014, 04:49:06 PM »
It won't take a moment to copy the noise layer over to the spec map. Try it and see what difference it makes. If you don't like the effect just turn the layer off or delete it.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2014, 02:14:17 AM »
Okay, so I am nowhere near as good as the others in this thread but, this is much more lively than what I originally submitted.   Glad I messed that up so I could take the time to improve.   I have pretty much given up on exhaust stains.   I can't get them right no matter what I try...

« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 02:34:37 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”