Author Topic: How to improve internet connection  (Read 1488 times)

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: How to improve internet connection
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2014, 06:49:49 PM »
All that means is that on the front end of the other player, you are in line of fire.  It is due to lag you are seeing the bullets appear to come from odd angles.

And how do I go about fixing it so it doesn't do that anymore?  :headscratch:

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2014, 06:54:53 PM »
And how do I go about fixing it so it doesn't do that anymore?  :headscratch:

Move to Texas  :noid

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2014, 07:06:24 PM »
If I ever move anywhere it's going to be further north. I hate the summer heat!

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2014, 06:25:32 AM »
And how do I go about fixing it so it doesn't do that anymore?  :headscratch:

As the lag is cumulative, you only have a chance to impact your connection.  If you see all players appearing to hit you at off angles, then it is your cumulative connection from your computer to the server.  Run a PingPlot and see what the path looks like.

With all the damage to the telecommunications infrastructure, from the winter storms, the Internet is a mess with physical lines carrying more than they are capable of causing excess packet loss, huge variances and other anomalies, all bad.

There are a few things one can do to help on the local connection.  Make sure you never install from Norton, McAfee, Roxio, Intuit, Apple (iTunes is particularly nasty), or any other applications which are going to phone home, even when they are not running as the main application.

Avoid using a wireless connection, if you can.  Quit running background applications.  Power cycle your home router, from time to time.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 06:29:15 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2014, 04:03:56 PM »
Thanks for the advice Skuzzy! I have notice it happening with just about everybody I run into. I don't have any of those programs installed (Norton, McAfee, Apple, etc). I do have a wired connection. This is my pingplot after I quickly checked it this morning.

I think it's weird that it's showing me a ping under 200 when I usually see 300-800 whenever I log on.  :headscratch:

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2014, 04:43:26 PM »
Level3, from Washington DC to Texas.  That is a bad route, right now, with all the damage done to the telecommunications industry.

There are also problems on the trip back to your computer, from Texas.  Looks like it is all in Level3's network.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2014, 04:54:25 PM »
Is there anyway I can fix it? Maybe change the path it uses? Or do I just have to wait until the route gets fixed?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2014, 08:53:44 AM »
Change ISP's is about the only way for you to change that and then it may not fix anything.  There is simply too much physical damage to the telecommunications infrastructure, right now.  It will get fixed, but it is going to take time and we really need the weather to give the repair crews a break.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2014, 10:01:17 AM »
Is there an internet site that tracks the whole internet health in terms of congestion, damage and the like?  Maybe some sort of map by regions.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2014, 12:57:56 PM »
There are a few sites that try to gauge how the Internet is doing, but they are pretty spotty and average a data from a few sources, which is not a good indicator of how things really are doing.

That said, you can run your own tests, for your own connection, and see what is going on, using Ping Plotter.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 01:19:57 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2014, 05:28:27 PM »
Change ISP's is about the only way for you to change that and then it may not fix anything.  There is simply too much physical damage to the telecommunications infrastructure, right now.  It will get fixed, but it is going to take time and we really need the weather to give the repair crews a break.

Well that sucks for me. I only get 1 choice out here.  :(

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2014, 06:24:21 PM »
Level3, from Washington DC to Texas.  That is a bad route, right now, with all the damage done to the telecommunications industry.

There are also problems on the trip back to your computer, from Texas.  Looks like it is all in Level3's network.

In here is a point everyone should understand about intent communications and the game. It's not only about the data streaming from your computer to the host, but also from the host back to your computer. These streams likely take completely different paths. One - - your outbound stream-- can be traced by you. The other--the stream back--can only be traced from the other end. Your trace might not look that bad but it's return path might be totally FUBAR. That isn't something anyone would have direct control over. And that will be a fluid situation as things get fixed and/or rerouted in the coming weeks /Months. Then it'll be spring here in the US and the thunderstorms will start the process all over again.   :aok
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2014, 02:42:54 PM »
it was funny yesterday, me and a friendly got into a fight with a higher con that us.  after making him give up his alt then I could see both friendly and con warp, the friendly said the same thing, you guys are warping.  when we asked the con, he said that he was fine but both of us were warping.

so it looks like all 3 of us were fine but the other two were warping. :rofl :rofl.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2014, 02:35:26 PM »
Is your modem a westell or netgear?

Let us know what the sticker on the back of says concerning make and model.

Often, you can type 192.168.1.1 in your browser and it will put you on the modem diagnostics page but the addresses differer between manufacturers.

Best to start at the end where you have access to the hardware when doing diagnostics just in case your problem is a background program polling the internet or another device in the house causing the issue.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 02:36:57 PM by icepac »

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2014, 03:19:53 PM »
Having iTunes installed will cause it, for sure.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese