Author Topic: Only 16 players inflight in the MA right now.  (Read 7022 times)

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
Re: Only 16 players inflight in the MA right now.
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 02:01:56 PM »
ah isn't going down any road--and if you reduce the size of the maps,then you will have people crying that the maps are too crowded---not everybody can play at the same time...mostly the player shortage is due to real life situations...work--family--financial--etc..and not all of the maps are the same size...i said this before--you can find a fight anytime on any of these maps.but you have to good get it and not wait for it to come to you :bolt:

That's the problem - you'll always have complainers, but the fact is that this is a PvP game. Anything that subtracts from that aspect detracts from the appeal to the general player.

In marketing and as a rule of thumb, only 1 in 8 to 1 in 10 people will openly complain - the rest will leave. The numbers alone diminishing over time reinforces this. People will simply become bored and leave.

Those who complain about a map being "too populated" are a minority, as they're complaining about the very mechanic that makes the game what it is (massive WWII air battles). They could always go elsewhere on the map, the fact is they just don't want to. They want to play it "their" way, forcing their style on everyone else. You can always avoid, you can't always choose to engage.

The opposite is not true - those who want more action simply can't find it, and flying 20 minutes for a single fight is quite boring to most players. You can't argue it's not - that's what makes the other F2P games like WT and WoWP popular.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
190 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-6

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Nath[BDP]

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 02:11:22 PM »
I remember back in the day there were still fights that late.
++Blue Knights++
vocalist of the year

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 02:16:15 PM »
The opposite is not true - those who want more action simply can't find it, and flying 20 minutes for a single fight is quite boring to most players. You can't argue it's not - that's what makes the other F2P games like WT and WoWP popular.

They're kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place.  Round-based instant action like WT is what's popular.  A good number of their current subscribers dislike that style and prefer the sandbox approach that is available here.  This is the only viable WWII sandbox game available.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Gemini

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 02:46:43 PM »
Well, if you want to have some smaller maps that might help the continually dwindling player-base to find some action, you will have to spend hours of free time creating them yourself.

Meanwhile HiTech buys a new plane with profits from the $14.99 a month everyone is paying.

Numbers continue to decrease, gameplay remains stale, changes are not coming *shrug*.

mostly the player shortage is due to real life situations...work--family--financial--etc..

Trying to work out if this ^ denial, delusion, ignorance, or what...it's something of the sort but I can't quite pin down the correct phrase.

I think denial is probably the closest I can get at the moment. To think that AH is losing numbers mostly due to peoples' 'real life situations'  :bhead
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 02:51:33 PM by Gemini »

Offline BluBerry

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 02:52:04 PM »
Well, if you want to have some smaller maps that might help the continually dwindling player-base find some action, you will have to spend hours of free time creating them yourself.

Meanwhile HiTech buys a new plane with profits from the $14.99 a month everyone is paying.

Who gives a damn what he does with his money and where is your proof that the money spent actually came from subscriptions. Oh yeah.. you have none. Nice troll attempt.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2014, 02:53:02 PM »
Well, if you want to have some smaller maps that might help the continually dwindling player-base to find some action, you will have to spend hours of free time creating them yourself.

We have 10 of them in the rotation ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2014, 03:01:27 PM »

Numbers continue to decrease, gameplay remains stale, changes are not coming *shrug*.

Trying to work out if this ^ denial, delusion, ignorance, or what...it's something of the sort but I can't quite pin down the correct phrase.

I think denial is probably the closest I can get at the moment. To think that AH is losing numbers mostly due to peoples' 'real life situations'  :bhead

I haven't been able to play since November due to financial situation. And others can't play because of moving, school work etc.  So I guess their events and problems don't exist because you haven't encountered a similar scenario?
HTC is one of few gaming companies I've ever heard, and the 1st in this genre, that allows the player to make an arena under specific rules/guidelines (for system purposes), that you can customize to your hearts content.    Yet you still complain because you realize it takes work instead of just copy n paste? 

Great example is Greebo's crater map, or Fester's new map (That I presume is still being reviewed by HTC?).     They give us a great opportunity to make maps and design things of that sort, and yet you still complain?  Put yourself in their shoes, what if you had to update the terrain, make new planes/gvs, AND was requested to fix bugs, make more 'hidden' achievements and make more maps?  I bet many times to HTC it sounds like he has a bunch of 7 yr olds whining to him.

I think HTC is doing a remarkable job, getting the HE-111, yak set, new tanks and the TU-2 with re-done B26, all while still balancing fixing bugs/glitches and updating the terrain with the small team they have. I'd say they are doing a damn fine job  :aok

If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline Gemini

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2014, 03:15:12 PM »
Who gives a damn what he does with his money and where is your proof that the money spent actually came from subscriptions. Oh yeah.. you have none. Nice troll attempt.

It wasn't really an attack, and I don't know or care where the money came from. The point is more that we're paying $14.99 a month, but nothing is being done to keep the game alive - be it hiring someone to create maps, maybe placing a bit of advertising to let people know the game exists, or attending air shows with a few AH setups to draw people in who are not typical 'gamers'. I don't know, marketing isn't my thing...but it seems clear to me that if something isn't done then numbers will continue to decrease until either the business model becomes untenable, or the game becomes unplayable/not fun for most.

And I'm not saying we are getting nothing for our money - we get new planes added, we get the servers, and a new graphics upgrade is on the way to bring us up to at least 2008 level visuals...

But the game is dying, and those things won't save it. The more people leave, the more empty the servers get, and the more people will leave.

Some people are happy to bury their heads in the sand and say 'Everything is fine, HTC can do no wrong, nothing should ever change', and that is their prerogative. But some of us like to speak our minds about things we perceive as being not quite right :old:

I haven't been able to play since November due to financial situation. And others can't play because of moving, school work etc.  So I guess their events and problems don't exist because you haven't encountered a similar scenario?

I didn't say those problems don't exist. I was saying that stating 'most of the player shortage' is due to those problems is ridiculous. You're welcome to disagree, but to me it seems pretty obvious  :headscratch:

Yes, perhaps in another 6 months Fester's new MA map will have been approved to appear on the servers. But I have t wonder how many more subscribers we will have lost by that point?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 03:17:43 PM by Gemini »

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2014, 03:33:22 PM »
It wasn't really an attack, and I don't know or care where the money came from. The point is more that we're paying $14.99 a month, but nothing is being done to keep the game alive - be it hiring someone to create maps, maybe placing a bit of advertising to let people know the game exists, or attending air shows with a few AH setups to draw people in who are not typical 'gamers'. I don't know, marketing isn't my thing...but it seems clear to me that if something isn't done then numbers will continue to decrease until either the business model becomes untenable, or the game becomes unplayable/not fun for most.

And I'm not saying we are getting nothing for our money - we get new planes added, we get the servers, and a new graphics upgrade is on the way to bring us up to at least 2008 level visuals...

But the game is dying, and those things won't save it. The more people leave, the more empty the servers get, and the more people will leave.

Some people are happy to bury their heads in the sand and say 'Everything is fine, HTC can do no wrong, nothing should ever change', and that is their prerogative. But some of us like to speak our minds about things we perceive as being not quite right :old:

I didn't say those problems don't exist. I was saying that stating 'most of the player shortage' is due to those problems is ridiculous. You're welcome to disagree, but to me it seems pretty obvious  :headscratch:

Yes, perhaps in another 6 months Fester's new MA map will have been approved to appear on the servers. But I have t wonder how many more subscribers we will have lost by that point?

The problem is, for every single player the game has a shelf life.  Any game does.  The fact that there are people still here that played the beta is a rarity.

People keep talking about how 'gameplay is stale'.  That statement confuses me.  No matter what form it takes, gameplay boils down to as a fighter you either launch and try to shoot other aircraft down or carry bombs somewhere and blow something up.  Bombing involves flying somewhere and pushing a button at the right time.  Same with ferrying troops/supplies.  GVing/ground/ship gunning, you launch and try to put rounds into other tanks.

Regardless of what 'goals' there are in place, that is all there is to the game.  Either you find that compelling, or you don't.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2014, 03:52:44 PM »
flying 20 minutes for a single fight is quite boring to most players. You can't argue it's not - that's what makes the other F2P games like WT and WoWP popular.

Actually, I will argue that point as I find this to be quite fun.

Unbelievable

I think denial is probably the closest I can get at the moment. To think that AH is losing numbers mostly due to peoples' 'real life situations'  :bhead

Just judging from only what my fellow squad members have stated that keeps them from playing, it is real life that keeps them from playing, nothing else.

Are you in a squad?  Do you participate in "Scenario" or "FSO's" or "Snapshots" or "This Day" events?
     ^^^
All of these things can keep the game fresh, or at least it does for me.

What handle do you fly under Gemini?
Wag more, bark less.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2014, 03:59:57 PM »

Yes it was (a lame troll attempt,) that is one reason WHY YOU mentioned it.

You attacked me in another thread as some financial responsibility god bent with the meanest streak of capitalism anybody has ever seen, now you spout out some obvious jealousy. Wow! He's entitled to do whatever he gd well pleases with his capital and by my account of AH he and his company have worked dang hard for it and deserve every penny.

They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline 68Raptor

• Gold Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2014, 04:03:43 PM »
Seems to me as with most companies as long as Hitech is keeping the balance of the "sky is falling, game is ending" group with those of the "bury their head in the sand, game is fine" group he is doing just fine.

As this thread clearly shows.. take 10 different players.. you'll get 10 different FACTS of what is most right and what is wrong with the game.  

I subscribe to spend time with my squad, participate in this version of World War II, sim combat air to air and learn some things I didn't know about WWII and flying.

So, from my perspective this game and community are doing just fine.  
Executive Officer
68th Lighting Lancers

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2014, 04:28:29 PM »

Perfect game?  No.  Don't know of one...

...but here I am thinking everything is fine...after more than 8 years...my squad has finally hit (32) man max.  Imagine...31 other tards volunteering to fly less than 10% of the available aircraft in the main.  Yes...something is not right.

Oh...WTFG! Hitech on the new ride.  Hope you can afford a warbird someday!   :airplane:

Carry on now here with the entertainment.

- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2014, 04:36:19 PM »
...after more than 8 years...my squad has finally hit (32) man max.  

Hordelings!  :old:   :neener:   :bolt:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2014, 04:40:58 PM »
I remember back in the day there were still fights that late.

I recall about four years ago I logged on at about 0500 CST and caught a few good fights.  That was also the morning that Tec and I were told to check some dudes bomber score because he thought he was so awesome.  :lol

-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||