Author Topic: Sick Puppy Custom Sounds  (Read 20507 times)

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
Re: Sick Puppy Custom Sounds
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2014, 10:42:21 AM »
Challenge is there any way you can prove that your executable doesn't contain a virus?  Or loggers etc..  Very weird your pack has an executable 
if it was a zipfile id feel a lot more safe downloading that over an installer.
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2014, 10:46:34 AM »
Im just trying to keep my computer safe!
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2014, 10:46:46 AM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 11:11:55 AM by Skuzzy »
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2014, 10:48:36 AM »
Im "Wrapping my computer before going in" if you get what im saying ;)

The Few

-Spek

Offline M36

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2014, 11:40:18 AM »
I see that this has brought out the best of the AH community. Dont take my word for this, but I have used his prior sound packs, the new one and my computer is fine, no viruses or issues. If you were suspicious of any other file on the internet you would'nt down load it. If Chalenge is using his sound pack to inject a major virus into all the AH users, he would have infected the entire SP squad before it got to you.  If you are that worried or paranoid, the simple solution is to not down load it and use it. Dont download it. It's really simple.

Rather than just reading the thread and moving on, you have taken the opportunity to use your personnel, juvenile, immature biases against Chalenge, and have started the attacks. Good for you!! If this was put out by Fruda, Ranger or any of the other sound pack makers you would be praising them, slapping them on the back, or shoving your nose so far up their butts for your self satisfaction. But it's Chalenge so it's different. And the only "man" that I have seen emerge from his attack, is USRanger.  :salute

This coupled with the on pain of death penalty for daring to use these is a deal breaker for me. I don't care if each sound is individually orgasmic there will be absolutely zero chance of my clicking that link let alone installing whatever else it is on my machine and I'd advise everyone to do the same.

Really Challenge. Just who in the hell do you think you are? Nobody contracted you to do this. Why not just contribute for the betterment of the game like everyone else has?

Excellent advice!!!! Leave it alone.

And son, who in the hell do you think you are, the self appointed Guardian of this forum, did Chalenge not seek your permission first? No one contracted any other sound pack maker, why is this different? He made a contribution, and it's a good one. Maybe you should try and make a contribution to the other adults in this forum and grow up.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 11:54:02 AM by M36 »
“Honesty is like a good horse, it’ll work anyplace you hook it”

Ben Johnson  1917-1996

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2014, 12:04:17 PM »
But it's Chalenge so it's different.

Exactly correct. His reputation is what he's made it to be. I didn't hang it on him, he did it all by himself. He's been around here a long time too. He does something like this, and I don't mean by merely contributing a sound pack which is perfectly fine, I mean the method he's using--he's instantly gonna draw suspicion on himself given that rep. Not for me to fix.

And son, who in the hell do you think you are, the self appointed Guardian of this forum, above everyone else? No one contracted any other sound pack maker, why is this different? He made a contribution, and it's a good one. Maybe you should try and make a contribution to the other adults in this forum and grow up.

Buddy I've been around the block a few times too. I got kids prolly older than you so I got your "son" right here. I'm not above anybody and I'm just a member of the community like everyone else here. Just trying to be a good neighbor is all. I merely voiced my opinion regarding his methodology in implementing the pack. I'm suspicious of it. I'm entitled to that. Don't like it? I'm not losing sleep. He's been asked direct questions regarding his statements if you read up the thread and all I hear coming back from him is the sound of chirping crickets. Again--my BS alarm is going off. So sorry, why don't you just step back and let the big guy defend his own work. How about that son?
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline BluBerry

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2014, 12:10:38 PM »
I'm with Drano on this one.

30k fine seems like a false threat unless he can provide proof of all copy rights obtained.

Having to run an executable on your computer from some unknown player.. sketchy at best.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2014, 12:14:01 PM »
I have used his prior sound packs, the new one and my computer is fine, no viruses or issues.

I'm not particularly wary of viruses, I just think it's odd it's expected to be pasted all over favourite soundpacks that players might have collated  (through mixing from different sources & even moving sounds from one aeroplane to another) and have not necessarily documented or could reproduce.

Like to hear it and compare before replacing my sounds. Is that unreasonable?

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed freaks" - Zack1234

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2014, 12:22:16 PM »
There are several reasonable questions posted in this thread that Chalenge has elected to ignore.  I understand great expense in both equipment and time is involved with putting this all together but why the cloak and dagger approach?  Executable files?  If I download this, will there be a LoJack on my computer that keeps track every time a sound is played?  It seems strange to give the sounds away for free but threaten the user for using them as they see fit.   No other sound makers show distrust for the intended recipients of their work.

"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline ReVo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2014, 01:08:52 PM »

It seems strange to give the sounds away for free but threaten the user for using them as they see fit.

I have been unable to find any record of a copyright held under the name shown in the soundpack's EULA, nor has he seemed willing to share a copyright registration number. This leads me to believe that there probably isn't a copyright. Combine that with the absurd threat of a steep fine that no court would award him even if he DID hold a copyright, and I suspect he might think that he can profit from this in other ways.  :noid

XO Jagdgeschwader 53 'Pik As'

Offline skorpx1

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2014, 01:15:10 PM »

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2014, 01:24:37 PM »
Well with out jumping to silly conclusions (And I will certainly ruffle a few jimmies in saying this but I digress). Other soundpacks can fall into two categories. One is where the soundpack creator goes on youtube and searches up "P51 startup" and if they are really good "P51 startup internal/external no wind bla bla". The other category is the soundpack creator who mixes all of the other soundpacks and sounds from other games and puts them into his own pack and publishes it here. I'm NOT saying that this is a bad way to design soundpacks nor am I suggesting that the creator of said soundpack is inferior for mixing other sounds or getting them off of youtube. Chalenge here on the otherhand has put not only many hours into the soundpack but also at his own expense in terms of money. Any programmer or sound designer or artist who puts a lot of time AND money into their creations has the right to put a copyright on it so it doesn't get remixed into other packs. And I see nothing at all wrong with that, If I put time in money into creating something I can say that this is mine and I made it.

I don't think chalenge would mind if you mixed his pack with others and you use it for your own pleasure but that doesn't mean you can just go out and republish it afterwords. What chalenge is trying to prevent is other people taking his sounds and republishing them. He wants to make sure the investment he made to produce these sounds is not wasted.

And of course I could be totally wrong here but that is my take on it, and I agree that a zip file with all the sounds would be nice but that's not stopping me from trying it out. Its like when you download a new program, of course there is always a risk that goes along with it but that's why we have anti virus.

In the end while I love open source stuff I think its completely reasonable that someone would want to copyright something that is rightfully theirs.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 01:26:08 PM by olds442 »
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline elc7367b

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2014, 02:08:42 PM »
Very well thought out reasonable responce olds442, (S).  There are always going to be haters and they are always going to hate.  I dont believe there is anything that could be done to stop that.  Nobody is twisting anyones arm to use this sound pack, which I do by the way.  So if it is not going to affect the haters, why must the post?  Oh wait, I should have read my second and third sentences....sorry.

And one more thing, I believe HTC has vetted the sound and its programming.  If I am in error here let me know.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 02:38:38 PM by elc7367b »

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2014, 03:21:00 PM »
I dont think people are hating.  Its more like why is there an executable file inside this?  You all defending him continue to IGNORE that point.  Just stop and let him answer and tell us why that type of file is here.  There IS NO need for that. Everyone is capable of doing it there selfs. 

The Few

-Spek

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2014, 04:10:54 PM »
I posted this in executable form because there are many users that cannot figure out how to install sounds. This system makes installing sounds easy. All this installer does is place sounds where they are supposed to go. That's it! Your anti-virus programs can scan the file before you install it, so your whines are pretty much ridiculous. Nrshida I already told you how to install to a different directory if that is what you want to do.

@ReVo: You might consider the possibility that the system is behind on updating records before you assume the Copyright is bogus. Just a suggestion. Providing the information you requested is a little extraordinary and really I do not know what you are after.

Just so you know (from the Copyright site):

Your work is under copyright protection the moment it is created and fixed in a tangible form that it is perceptible either directly or with the aid of a machine or device.

Registration is recommended for a number of reasons. Many choose to register their works because they wish to have the facts of their copyright on the public record and have a certificate of registration. Registered works may be eligible for statutory damages and attorney's fees in successful litigation. Finally, if registration occurs within 5 years of publication, it is considered prima facie evidence in a court of law. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section “Copyright Registration” and Circular 38b, Highlights of Copyright Amendments Contained in the Uruguay Round Agreements Act (URAA), on non-U.S. works.

In a lot of ways this collection of sounds is my personal portfolio, so of course I will protect it.

@Drano, you are fear-mongering. That's all.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.