Author Topic: Food for thought ...  (Read 15430 times)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: Food for thought ...
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2014, 10:11:35 AM »
Again, thanks for all the posts on this thread.

The overwhelming sentiment of the thread is that there is a need for change.  A number of suggestions have been made, many of which would get my support.

It is now down to Hitech and its player base to work together to responsibly create solutions to our problems while we still have a game left that is worth saving.

I think it is time for someone from Hitech to take up our issues and respond with what they plan to do about it.  We have given Hitech plenty of ideas, I'm sure they have a few of their own, so let's get the ball rolling.

Respectfully, the thread can be summed up as "I want people to be nice to each other on 200 and fight the way I want them to."  The closest thing to an "idea" in here is that something must be done to make people be nicer to each other and play the way you want them to.

That's not a plan, or an idea to change things, that's a goal.

If a guy's lighting up 200 with objectionable content, there are already mechanisms in place to do something about it.  What do you propose to do to change the behavior of a guy that HO's on every pass? Edit:  Forcing him into the TA is not an option, btw.

Wiley.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 10:28:58 AM by Wiley »
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Hoplite

• Nickel Member
« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2014, 10:13:41 AM »
Hot to Hot aspect.

If you don't know aspects, reference here;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBA0u6vMiNc

No need. I'm quite familiar with the term and the video series you reference. Excellent video reference, BTW. Useful not just for newcomers to Rise of Flight but this or any flying game.  

In general, I agree with your assessment for MA fighting ( No Hot to Hot) because taking a shot anywhere within that aspect is d u m b   If you are within that region and force a shot you open yourself up to a direct or indirect (through a rudder kick) counter shot.  

I don't, however, agree with those who hold that ANY shot ahead of the 3/9 line is just bad form for MA fighting.  Flanking aspect shots are (to me) acceptable in certain MA situations.

Offline jd

• Nickel Member
« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2014, 10:23:28 AM »
that kind of food will give you cavity's. Why are so many ready to tell others how to spend their free time? If some of you put as much effort into your real life you'd actually be successful instead of online hero's.
Current: Slipstrm

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2014, 10:27:42 AM »
Want me to tell you what makes me sad..? This game has become a sort of obnoxious chessgame.. someone makes a certain move or kill or whatever.. and it becomes rant time on 200, or pm's and name-calling and the like.. There was a time when you saddled up to play this game.. and it was really simulation flying... a kind of getwaway from real life for a bit.. You did not know who your enemy was.. you sure as hell didn't talk to him.. and god almighty there wasn't a rant and raving after every kill or death!!  You just did your best flying in your own plane.. imagining for a bit it was you piloting these beasts back in the day..
Don't let others drag you down with their own hatred and fear

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2014, 10:29:05 AM »
I don't, however, agree with those who hold that ANY shot ahead of the 3/9 line is just bad form for MA fighting.  Flanking aspect shots are (to me) acceptable in certain MA situations.

I'm not saying its bad form.

My philosophy;
If a new guy wants to get good at flying their aircraft and learn fast, he has to practice to saddle at every opportunity.

By product is a good fight with which you can gain experience/learning, and adrenaline rush/fun.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 10:39:19 AM by LCADolby »
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2014, 10:29:55 AM »
There was a time when you saddled up to play this game.. and it was really simulation flying... a kind of getwaway from real life for a bit.. You did not know who your enemy was.. you sure as hell didn't talk to him.. and god almighty there wasn't a rant and raving after every kill or death!!

And when was this Golden Age?
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2014, 10:31:53 AM »

And when was this Golden Age?

I think it was sometime between WWII and now, before the head-on pass was invented.

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2014, 10:46:22 AM »
Late 90's, early 2000's, I really don't recall the complaining and trash-talking that goes on now in the arenas  :old:
Don't let others drag you down with their own hatred and fear

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2014, 10:54:14 AM »
Respectfully, the thread can be summed up as "I want people to be nice to each other on 200 and fight the way I want them to."  The closest thing to an "idea" in here is that something must be done to make people be nicer to each other and play the way you want them to.

That's not a plan, or an idea to change things, that's a goal.

If a guy's lighting up 200 with objectionable content, there are already mechanisms in place to do something about it.  What do you propose to do to change the behavior of a guy that HO's on every pass? Edit:  Forcing him into the TA is not an option, btw.

Wiley.
What a crock...No, Wiley, the thread is about dweebs who only care about score and stats and won't actually learn the game the way it is INTENDED to be played. They are dweebs, no talents, runners, cowards...chikkens. And those who criticize the PILOTS who have a problem with the no talents are no talents also. The game is going the same direction that FA went, and will end up there sooner than later...unless something changes.
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2014, 10:54:32 AM »
AcesHigh is very kind in affording each and everyone of us the opportunity, rights and ability to tune out anything we do not wish to read or hear.

.squelch
200 has to be tuned to
and other text buffer options

If you aren't happy with the talk it's your own fault for not exercising your HiTech given rights.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2014, 11:04:49 AM »
What a crock...No, Wiley, the thread is about dweebs who only care about score and stats and won't actually learn the game the way it is INTENDED to be played. They are dweebs, no talents, runners, cowards...chikkens. And those who criticize the PILOTS who have a problem with the no talents are no talents also. The game is going the same direction that FA went, and will end up there sooner than later...unless something changes.

Okay.  That's swell.  You're basically saying the majority of the arena is dweebs.  How do you propose to change them into non-dweebs?

All that's been said in this thread is something must be done, and HTC must support it.  What is the 'something'?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2014, 11:06:03 AM »
AcesHigh is very kind in affording each and everyone of us the opportunity, rights and ability to tune out anything we do not wish to read or hear.

.squelch
200 has to be tuned to
and other text buffer options

If you aren't happy with the talk it's your own fault for not exercising your HiTech given rights.

+1

I do find one thing that I do is if a guy is going to ack hug.  I am going to deack the field and  vulch...  

Maybe hitech could lower the level of the destruction ack and that would prevent some from ack hugging
LtCondor
          The Damned
Fighter pilots are either high, or in the process of getting high.🙊
The difference between Dweebs and non dweebs... Dweebs have kills

Offline Hoplite

• Nickel Member
« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2014, 11:07:55 AM »
I'm not it saying its bad form.

My philosophy;
If a new guy wants to get good at flying their aircraft and learn fast, he has to practice to saddle at every opportunity.

By product is a good fight with which you can gain experience/learning, and adrenaline rush/fun.

No argument here.   But I feel strongly we send the wrong messages to new and old players about HOing.  As a community we tend to focus on communicating that HOing is "dishonorable".  I don't think that's an effective education approach and it actually exacerbates the problem of name calling, negative chatter on 200, while doing nothing to decrease the number of HO attempts by new and old players.

Player education and training needs to be grounded in the hard reality of MA fighting rather than the sanitary conditions of the 1v1 DA duelist.  The new guy needs to learn (sometimes the hard way) why the HO shot isn't the smartest to take and, most importantly, how to avoid these shots rather than simply assuming some obscure "point of honor" will keep the other guy from pulling the trigger.

Nose off a few degrees, add a bit of vet, viola...HO missed and fight reset.  Eventually the new guy will also learn how to do more than just reset the fight but take advantage through timing and good shooting.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2014, 11:27:46 AM »
A possible alternative for you Pandora: custom arenas. Set one up to your liking. Max player limit is 16. Put out the word to 15 other like minded players and you can have the game play you like.

Years ago HTC provided free H2H (head to head) options and there were always several up and running at given time of day...limited to 8 players. Whenever I got tired of the same game play we're talking about 10 years later I'd blow off steam in H2H.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 11:29:19 AM by Max »

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2014, 11:34:52 AM »
1.What a crock...No, Wiley, the thread is about 2.dweebs who only care about score and stats and won't actually learn the game the way it is 3.INTENDED to be played. They are 4.dweebs, no talents, runners, cowards...chikkens. 5.And those who criticize the PILOTS who have a problem with the no talents are no talents also. 6.The game is going the same direction that FA went, and will end up there sooner than later...unless something changes.

1.  Yes this post is.

2.  You are the person who determines who a dweeb is?

3.  You are the person who determines what is the proper way to play?

4.  From this example it's good to call others names, got it.

5.  So unless we agree with you and voice our support we are "no talents", got it.

6.  The sky is falling, the sky is falling...........base upon your intimate knowledge of the business of course.

It's you buddy.  You have to change your own attitude if you want a more positive universe to play in.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 11:37:25 AM by Zoney »
Wag more, bark less.