Author Topic: learning 109 g6  (Read 1185 times)

Offline homersipes

• Silver Member
learning 109 g6
« on: April 08, 2014, 03:35:17 PM »
So I have been wanting to learn the 109 for a bit now, so I pulled up the 109 wikipages and closed my eyes and picked and got the g6 model.  I have been getting used to flying it for the past few days.  Is there any tips or tricks to flying it?  I like the gondola firepower, but read on the wiki that they add a lot of weight and kills performance but I couldnt really tell, maybe because I am not used to flying it  :headscratch:  Maybe someone that is familiar could meet me in the TA some night to help with the flap controls a bit more.  I have always flown the spit9 and am decent in it just wanted to try the 109 out.

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: learning 109 g6
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 03:49:22 PM »
So I have been wanting to learn the 109 for a bit now, so I pulled up the 109 wikipages and closed my eyes and picked and got the g6 model.  I have been getting used to flying it for the past few days.  Is there any tips or tricks to flying it?  I like the gondola firepower, but read on the wiki that they add a lot of weight and kills performance but I couldnt really tell, maybe because I am not used to flying it  :headscratch:  Maybe someone that is familiar could meet me in the TA some night to help with the flap controls a bit more.  I have always flown the spit9 and am decent in it just wanted to try the 109 out.
Never take the gondolas unless you are buff hunting (even then a single 30mm from the k4 works well). The 109 is a pilots plane, meaning you really have to be delicate with the throttle and rudder work on it. The DB602 engine (and 605 in the K4) is a massive engine that has a massive amount of torque and will really help you in a rolling fight (or hurt you if you use it wrong). The 109s generally climb good which means they have good acceleration, so I like to get my enemy nice and slow then WEP up and power above him and come back down on him.
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 03:58:34 PM »
Never put gondolas on your 109s. The nose guns are more than enough to down any fighter, especially the G6's 2 13mm and 1 20mm. I always take maneuverability over firepower since you can't use that extra firepower if you can't outmaneuver your opponent to get into a firing position.

G6 is probably the 2nd hardest of the 109 series to master IMO (1st being the Emil). I think it has the same engine as the G2, but it's heavier, slightly slower in top speed and acceleration, slightly worse climb rate, and slightly worse in the turn (because of the added weight without upgrading the engine). I say start with the 109F4 or 109G2 if you want a little more speed. These two are the best versions of the 109's and the easiest to learn. The great thing about the 109's is once you learn one you pretty much learn them all! They all perform very similarly but have their own unique niche, such as the F4 is super light, super maneuverable, and just a pure dogfighter. You can easily take your experience in the F4 and fly a G2 with ease but the G2 isn't as maneuverable as the F4, however it's got a better engine and is faster.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 04:23:57 PM »
G6 is probably the 2nd hardest of the 109 series to master IMO (1st being the Emil).

Agreed.  Hence your satisfaction level will be greater when you master the G6 than it will be for the other 109s!

As others say, skip the gonds. The G6 is armament-challenged, but the two 12.7s add a noticeable (but not huge) effectiveness over what you get with the Friedrich and G2.  Because these are German, and not American, .50s, they don't reach out to touch people far away.  I've got convergence of all three guns set at 225, see what works for you.

You'll need to work the rudder more than with many other planes in order to keep it stable.

Like all 109s, the G6 benefits greatly from judicious use of flaps.  Don't leave them down for long, but don't hesitate to use them.  While not as light-footed as the Friedrich and G2, the G6 is still a frisky plane that climbs well and recovers energy well.

Once you've become accustomed to it, the G6 just feels comfortable.  It's long been my favorite 109, and one of my three or four favorite planes in AH.  Probably you'll never be as successful in it as in the other members of its family, but you'll enjoy yourself more.

- oldman

Offline homersipes

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 04:25:16 PM »
thanks, will up later without gondolas.  I use the rudder ALOT when I fly and really work the throttle and flaps while in a slower fight.  I did notice it doesnt roll easily to the right, but man idle back kick in left rudder and give her some gas and it rolls nicely to the left  :D

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 06:22:38 PM »
 If you like the G6 and like to use gondies then fly the G2 with gondies!  The G2 is only a couple MPH slower than the G6 when the G2 has gondies on!

Basically the gondies take aprox. 18mph off the speeds on the charts,if you need to rely on the difference in turn,well frankly you are flying the plane wrong. The gondies will affect the roll rate and make cause the slats to deploy abit soon than if you werent carrying them but I find the extra firepower to more than makeup for the performance hit.

YMMV.

:salute

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 12:49:51 PM »
Thanks for the post Homer, been wondering about the G-6 too.

My first reaction compared to the G-14 was a bit disappointing. She felt heavy, slower and not as responsive. I'll have to give her another chance.

I've been flying the G-14 w/gondolas the majority of the time lately, my gunnery here stinks, and I find it is still an amazing platform.

How bad do the gondolas hurt vertical performance?

Morfiend, does carrying the gondolas cause the slats to adjust at different conditions than without?

They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 04:04:05 PM »
Thanks for the post Homer, been wondering about the G-6 too.

My first reaction compared to the G-14 was a bit disappointing. She felt heavy, slower and not as responsive. I'll have to give her another chance.

I've been flying the G-14 w/gondolas the majority of the time lately, my gunnery here stinks, and I find it is still an amazing platform.

How bad do the gondolas hurt vertical performance?

Morfiend, does carrying the gondolas cause the slats to adjust at different conditions than without?

I have no evidence to prove if the slats behave differently with or without gondies!

It is a personal feeling from flying the 109's a considerable amount of time. The slats operate based on angle of attack of the wing. I cant say for sure the gondies have any effect on their deployment,it was more of a feeling type thing. In hindsight I likely shouldnt have mentioned it as I have no evidence or even a method to test it.

That said I find the slats tend to deploy at the most inopportune times and spoil my shot.

As for how bad do they effect verticle performance,well the reduce speed by 18 to 20 mph,that will change climb and acceleration. I dont have the specific numbers but they are easy enough to find out. E6B and a watch are all thats needed.

Offline homersipes

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 07:33:50 PM »
I have been trying different load outs and what not the past couple days, it has to be my mind set knowing that the gondies add weight and hurt performance so I am easier on the stick, but I stall MORE without them then I do with.  I have been loading out 50% fuel and a drop tank with the gondies, I do ok not good and not horrible.  Without the gondolas, I am constantly pull too hard on the stick and get a high speed stall.  lol Rot, my gunnery stinks when I am on a straight on 6 shot, but getting WAY better at snap shots  :headscratch:  I have learned that usually 1 or 2 notches of flaps is plenty when in a fight, they dont roll to the right at a slow speed with power applied at all(maybe I am doing it wrong?), use LOTS of rudder while fighting.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 09:38:19 PM »
the gondies add weight and hurt performance so I am easier on the stick, but I stall MORE without them then I do with.

The plane is more responsive without the extra weight and drag, so it's easier to pull it into a too-high-angle of attack.  Forget the gonds and you'll get accustomed to the difference.

- oldman

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 11:53:01 AM »
If you use gondies or not is really dependent on your flying style.  I tend to use them, as I fly in furball scenario and if red guys don't start dieing, I will.

If you ask me I can't tell a difference enough not to carry them performance wise, and can be wayyyy more efficient in a mult-con situation with firepower.

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 12:07:19 PM »
I can feel a difference with the gondies, but tbh, it's only going to matter if you're flying against a good stick in a closely matched airplane.  The majority of the time, I take the gondies for all the reasons Lazer said. 
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 01:30:07 PM »
If you fly any 109 other than the G2 with Gondolas you're doing it wrong.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 02:04:34 PM »
Homer, I thought I would mention that full power would actually help the 109 roll to the left, since thats the direction of the torque.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline SAJ73

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2014, 07:50:48 PM »
Homer, I thought I would mention that full power would actually help the 109 roll to the left, since thats the direction of the torque.

I think that was what he said too, only that he eased back a little on the trottle first before slamming it on full power before left turn. That would give an extra kick to it.

And for homersipes.
As for the right roll, just chop the trottle when you roll and she will flip to the right in less than a heartbeat.  :aok But mind your altitude when performing this move, if you are really low you have to make sure you have enough altitude to get the right roll completed before you need to trottle back on as the trottle will slow your roll down alot. Might send you upside down into the ground if you are too low.

I think the G6 is one of the most fun 109's to fly myself, and I found it easier to master than the G2 myself. Perhaps it was only in my head, but I always did better in the G6 vs the G2. It is really a fun plane to fly once you master the trottle control, it sure can dance with the best once you learn it.  :aok
TheStig