Author Topic: This game is dead unless things change  (Read 9391 times)

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
Re: This game is dead unless things change
« Reply #255 on: April 21, 2014, 03:04:01 AM »
Do I recall correctly back when there were two Mains that at off peak times a different map was switched to?

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #256 on: April 21, 2014, 03:07:46 AM »
Do I recall correctly back when there were two Mains that at off peak times a different map was switched to?

The main arena used to shut down and reboot as two arenas when player numbers went past 500 or so. I hated that 'feature' infinitely.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #257 on: April 21, 2014, 03:16:46 AM »
The main arena used to shut down and reboot as two arenas when player numbers went past 500 or so. I hated that 'feature' infinitely.

Aha! But it was / is possible to have a separate on / off peak time arena? The state of the inactive one being saved I assume?

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #258 on: April 21, 2014, 03:33:35 AM »
Aha! But it was / is possible to have a separate on / off peak time arena? The state of the inactive one being saved I assume?

I don't recall how it went because I usually just logged off for the day when I got kicked from the server. This usually happened around 00:30 my timezone and it took closer to an hour for the fight to resume properly in the arenas. Wasn't worth the wait at night time.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #259 on: April 21, 2014, 08:46:28 AM »
I am of the opposite opinion, the less space between bases, the more lively the fights become.

Agreed.  Current distance between MA bases is too great, IMHO.  You spend more time getting to the fight than you spend fighting.

- oldman

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #260 on: April 21, 2014, 09:01:03 AM »

Agreed.  Current distance between MA bases is too great, IMHO.  You spend more time getting to the fight than you spend fighting.

- oldman

Yep think of CV fights theres always a big buzz.

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #261 on: April 21, 2014, 12:38:29 PM »
Danny76, you have made some very insightful remarks.

Yes I agree, I seem contradictory on some things. Let me say, new pilots are not thrown into F22's! First is ground school then a variety of training aircraft. I do not like the automatic takeoff, but I use it to simplify the game, when, frankly i'm in a hurry or when things don't matter. The base getting strafed? Believe me, I yank that stick and do the flaps and gears myself! But I've only just learned that in that last couple of days.

Nothing is more tedious than landing B17 after an hour's long raid when the wife is yelling at me to come to dinner! On those days I could use an automatic landing feature. On others? I land my OWN plane thank you! I may not know how to dogfight but I can land my p38 on fire dangit! (and I have , many times, lol)

So you see, FOR NEWBIES, simplicity matters, let them achieve the lvl of game play complexity THEY want, after they've learned to keep the dang plane lvl etc etc. Two weeks is simply not enough time to learn the game, play it well, AND have fun at the same time. People will not subscribe if the FIRSt impression is lousy. I'm asking that the newbies be given some simplicity, that's all. Later they can get as complex as they like. AH needs like a basic game and a more advanced one, perhaps a basic arena where it's just about spawning mid air fights, and a more complex one where EVERYTHING is a real as it gets.

Talk about dumbing a game down with auto land and spawn inflight, that's when I quit. Most long time players in this game do help new people but they also get tired of answering the same questions over and over that have answers available online. Most newbies try to jump right into the MA without ever spending time in the TA or offline practicing. Also you comment "game is dead unless things change"  you have played for a few weeks how would you know that? :rolleyes:
Tour 70 2005 to present

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #262 on: April 21, 2014, 01:04:46 PM »
Yep think of CV fights theres always a big buzz.

Exactly, CV fights is where this game shines... except for the fun killers:

5" proximity fuse shells

and

Sunken boat

In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #263 on: April 21, 2014, 07:39:45 PM »

at noon central the main arena would lock and the alternate blue arena would come up.  the main orange arena would remain locked until it was populated over 100 people or so.  this locking of arenas is what upset most people.