Author Topic: Ergonomics of Aces High  (Read 2564 times)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
Ergonomics of Aces High
« on: April 11, 2014, 03:41:51 PM »
 :old: :old: :old:

I'm starting to develop some back issues leaning forward playing as I get older, in particular, in my upper back where I have a nerve that is being pinched near my scapula.  It's getting to the point where I can only fly for about an hour before I can't concentrate anymore.  Any suggestions?

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
Re: Ergonomics of Aces High
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 03:48:35 PM »
Higher table and a straight-back chair...

Get up and stretch after every long sortie, or even every 45 min...
The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 03:49:55 PM »
Have a midget punch u in the back every 20 minutes   :D :banana:
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 04:00:45 PM »
I lifted my monitor about 6 inches when my back started hurting.  It is now eye level.  I also get up out of the chair while climbing out and make sure I stretch a bit every time I stand up.  It's easy to get that "computer slump".  You must fight it, focus on your posture.

You ain't 15 anymore Grizz and this ain't AirWarrior :)

Now, where did I put that F86 ?

Mig 15's suck
Wag more, bark less.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 04:07:02 PM »
I am at a computer all day at work.  Get that same twinge in between the shoulder blades.  Try one of these.  Spray it with water, microwave for 2-3 mins and lay it on the spot.  Loosens it right up.

CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 04:09:07 PM »
I am at a computer all day at work.  Get that same twinge in between the shoulder blades.  Try one of these.  Spray it with water, microwave for 2-3 mins and lay it on the spot.  Loosens it right up.

(Image removed from quote.)

Do you pretend it's a fighter pilot scarf?
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline Groth

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 04:24:51 PM »
 I've had to raise my monitor to just above eye level for same reason. Bad hip that makes back sore.
 I've also changed 'things' around so it's easier to stand while 'surfin' net. I may even go back to twisty stick so I fly standing, as I did when started.
 Good Luck..let us know what works for you!
                                                             JGroth

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 04:32:07 PM »

I'm starting to develop some back issues leaning forward playing as I get older, in particular, in my upper back where I have a nerve that is being pinched near my scapula.  It's getting to the point where I can only fly for about an hour before I can't concentrate anymore.  Any suggestions?

Fly in a reclined position, not hunched over or leaning forward.  Splurge for a bigger monitor if you need to.  Get a better chair if you need to sit for a long period of time.  You're not old yet.   :lol
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 04:34:47 PM »

Vicodin works for me.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 04:42:18 PM »

I've had and still have the same symptom. It got worse as I aged (started playing in my late 40s, and I'm 61 now). Very uncomfortable. I get up periodically and stretch. I rotate my shoulders and, if needed, lay on the floor with a pillow under the small of my back to stretch my spine. Break up your playing time. Spend some time doing something else, if need be (while sitting in the tower). My days of hour upon hour of uninterrupted play are over....
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 05:20:02 PM »
I had the same problem. I lowered my stick and throttle from the desk to the slide out keyboard shelf. That solved the problem for me. My keyboard is now up on the desk.
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 05:28:05 PM »

This works for me:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/2006/11/27/study-slouching-better-for-back-than-sitting-up-straight/

:salute FPH Grizz :rock

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 05:30:20 PM »
This works for me:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/2006/11/27/study-slouching-better-for-back-than-sitting-up-straight/

:salute FPH Grizz :rock

Any possibility, at all, that you could perhaps say something constructive, or alternatively, constructively shut the hell up, beginning to sound a little Barry The Stalker :old:
The GFC

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2014, 05:34:49 PM »
I started off with a comfortable chair and the monitor on a simple desk. Then I placed my controllers where they would be ergonomic by mounting shelves underneath the desktop. Now my desk is useless except for gaming/internet. But it's a very comfortable simpit.

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2014, 05:37:23 PM »
I started off with a comfortable chair and the monitor on a simple desk. Then I placed my controllers where they would be ergonomic by mounting shelves underneath the desktop. Now my desk is useless except for gaming/internet. But it's a very comfortable simpit.

I took a drivers seat from a Jaguar and had my brother sort a transformer so every axis is adjustable.

Luxury car seats will kick the crap out of household seats every day of the week :old:
The GFC