Author Topic: This weeks status update.  (Read 6133 times)

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
Re: This weeks status update.
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2014, 02:49:47 PM »
Looking good!   Game play and modeling of planes and weapons are what matter at the top of my list, but since we are talking terrain, I would like Fall and desert colors on some maps.
AMAX  in game

Offline Tr1gg22

• Silver Member
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2014, 03:39:29 PM »
looks good :aok
"CO" of the Wobblin Gobblins...

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2014, 06:04:46 AM »
but a serious question is can we fire through these trees and bushes or are they still bullet proof?
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2014, 06:34:11 AM »
Shooting through trees will be somewhat of a tricky request.  Because of the differing levels of view, it could easily be gamed. 

If you are close to the tree, you will obviously see it.  Someone further away might not, and have a clear shot at you  :headscratch:  cover worked against you.

The only way around that is if they were destructible.  That would cost too much in game resources so I heard.  I wonder if that would be true if only trees on the edges of combat areas were destructible?  Keeping it to no more objects than you would encounter on an airfield.  Not every tree need be destructible, only the ones that count.

Anyhow, the tank game will definitely look more appealing, and with new terrain types, I bet it will have some nice perks waiting for us to find.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2014, 12:24:28 PM »
Didn't Waffle throw out the idea of different levels of object resources by map area because tanks generally fight in about a 4x4 mile area? While airplanes whizzing by at hundreds of mph don't see anything for the most part at the micro level a tanker will.

I thought the reason the competition has the eye candy, is arenas are limited to 64 players while the arena is 10x10 miles. Then we have 600max, 350 average players, and 20x20 25 square mile sectors. So they get hot eye candy and we get the hottest physics outside of the Air Force.

Wish there was a sticky reminder in the Wishlist forum about the specific differences between AH and the competition related to why we can have 600 players in the same arena and they can only "Allow" 64.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2014, 11:46:45 PM »
Would it make coding easier if the time of the day in the arenas always stayed the same? 

The early-late days seem a bit dark.  The current engine is dark in these times as well.  A real good monitor, probably compensates but some of the lower end monitors/TVs might not.

I suggest you have a good but lower end monitor to check contrast as development goes on.  I am guessing y'all have higher end monitors.  I would if I did what y'all do all day.

I want real looking night time.
Tour 70 2005 to present

Offline SAJ73

• Nickel Member
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2014, 03:02:22 AM »
This really looks great, I know it is a fine balance between eyecandy and playability here. If the lot of us with lower end computers are going to be able to continue playing and having any fun at all we simply can't ask for much more eyecandy than this. (I don't even know if my laptop can handle this much, but I sure hope so!)

Perhaps in time we can have a separate arena for the full mindblowing eyecandy that requires top end hardware, then slowly as more and more people will start using that arena because they have invested in better gaming computers the game will continue to expand in the newer arenas? And as people stop using the old arenas they can be converted to new arenas one by one, perhaps keeping one of the old ones just for the few people that might remain there? There will always be a few people left that will be satisfied with playing with the current graphics I think, but the majority of players will most likely head over to the eyecandy pools.

Is that even possible, to split graphics mode into separate arenas?

Just a thought..  :noid
TheStig

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2014, 02:45:30 PM »
I see mom's house and the grass needs mowed.

Nice!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2014, 02:50:06 PM »
Looks better in the videos.

Doesn't look great in the screen shot.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2014, 01:46:00 AM »
Didn't Waffle throw out the idea of different levels of object resources by map area because tanks generally fight in about a 4x4 mile area? While airplanes whizzing by at hundreds of mph don't see anything for the most part at the micro level a tanker will.

I thought the reason the competition has the eye candy, is arenas are limited to 64 players while the arena is 10x10 miles. Then we have 600max, 350 average players, and 20x20 25 square mile sectors. So they get hot eye candy and we get the hottest physics outside of the Air Force.

Wish there was a sticky reminder in the Wishlist forum about the specific differences between AH and the competition related to why we can have 600 players in the same arena and they can only "Allow" 64.

Because people don't appreciate meat and potato games enough...
The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2014, 04:24:52 PM »
What impressed me the most were the reflections of the landscape in the windows as the "cam" panned between the buildings.

Well done!
- The Flying Circus -

Offline realgood

• Copper Member
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2014, 08:37:52 AM »
 OMG it is BEAUTIFUL
Might as well face it we are all addicted to this hehehe but me really I can ouit any time I want to <Proud Member 2nd Squad >"***Alchemists***"

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2014, 09:00:16 AM »

I think it will bring back retired players perhaps under new names though... :bolt:
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2014, 09:43:47 AM »
    I think it will bring back retired players perhaps under new names though... :bolt:
That sounds 'shady' ....  ;)
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Goat1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2014, 10:14:02 PM »
Very nice!!  :aok
"Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer." — Major Thomas B. 'Tommy' McGuire, USAAF