Author Topic: I want to fly in all events....but there's only one I can.  (Read 2063 times)

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
I want to fly in all events....but there's only one I can.
« on: April 23, 2014, 06:07:08 AM »
From the calendar / AH events site:

AHXRL.  10pm EST tuesdays (3am wednesday morning in Britain)
Combat challenge.  11pm Fridays (4am saturday morning in Britain)
FSO. 11pm Fridays (4am saturday morning in Britain)
HMS.  10.30pm sundays (3.30am monday morning in Britain)
Snapshots.  10pm Wednesdays (3am thursday morning in Britain)
KOTH.  8pm saturdays (1am sunday morning in Britain.....this is almost doable).

which leaves:  SEC.  3pm sundays (8pm in Britain.....which is when Top Gear is broadcast on BBC1, when it's on anyway, and since 3pm Sunday is not a great time for you Yanks, numbers in this event don't get that high.  I'd quite like an event or three I can join in with you lot, not fly all by myself.)

I'd happily attend an event which started at midnight, even on a school night.  3am is too much of a push for most people that have jobs / lives.  I'd really appreciate it if the CM team would discuss and consider events at slightly more friendly times for us Brits to join in.  7pm EST would be fine for any event.   Ya'all remember the CAP event?  Kicked off at 6pm EST on saturdays and we regularly got over 100 in there.....the demand does exist.

Please?  There's one event for us Brits right now...

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
Re: I want to fly in all events....but there's only one I can.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 08:20:45 AM »
Same problem here -  also I'm at GMT+2 (+3 at summer) and I clearly understand you - I miss events. Once there were European Time Snapshots - now, none...

However, there are 3 types of events I attend regularly:

1. SEC almost once a week - (Top Gear? record it and view later...). Last frame I attended there were around 30 players and was quite fun. Do you have squadron mates? Bring them to SEC...
2. This day in WW2 - happens around once a month usually fun - and runs in two time zones.
3. Now and the big final... the Scenarios - IMHO one of the best in AH2. Pity that it runs only few times a year.

I think SEC has the best potential for improvement so far... However community effort required - effort from the players - show up, play, organize.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 08:54:43 AM by artik »
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 03:23:37 PM »
Yeah I'd have listed scenarios but since I came back to AH in January there's been none....and we're still waiting for an announcement. (hint hint, get your finger out Brooke :) )  Besides, scenarios don't really count as an 'AH event', they're more of an 'AH epic awesomeness and what the game is all about, forget the MA' kinda thing.

I was actually intending on attending last sundays SEC but I forgot all about it....until the CM warning came over the text buffer in the MA saying SEC in 10 minutes.  The trouble was I was at 25k over Rookland in a B29 at the time and finally landed about 45 minutes later.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 03:25:27 PM by Swoop »

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 10:37:47 PM »
 ;) Swoop.

The next scenario will be in June, weekends at about 3 pm Eastern (8 pm UK).  I hope that you can make it.

Also, we do run all "This Day in WWII" events at 8 pm UK time as well as closest to prime-time US I can get.  It is true that they run only once per month, though.  It runs on the anniversary of each historical event -- same day -- so it varies on which day it runs.  The next one is May 8, Battle of the Coral Sea.  June 6 is D-Day.

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 02:08:35 AM »
Question.  Why do you time the majority of US events at 10-11pm (the perfect time) but UK events are at 8pm (if ya got kids, that's bedtime....and therefore you ain't free til 9pm ish)?

Offline kano

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 03:01:58 AM »
Also have kids and its bedtime for mine too, trouble is whatever time an event is held it will never fit right for someone.

I've been lucky the last 3 scenarios and managed to get on intime.

Swoop most scenarios the arena locks at 8pm but the flying doesn't stat till 8.30pm what i do is log in just before i put kids to bed make sure ive checked orders for my squadron before i go up to settle the monsters get them to sleep and back down just before the 8.30pm mark. If you explain to the squad leader your circumstances im sure someone can accomodate you  :aok

EatG
The Few

S/L No 32 squadron BoB 2013

Eats Eagle

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 03:20:04 AM »
Oh hell, nothing stops me from joining scenarios....well, nothing short of loss of internet connection anyway.  

It's the regular events I want more of, there are not enough.  Especially at British / Euro friendly times.  I just wondered why the CM team has these times laid out.  I wonder if any event could be moved to slightly earlier.  I wonder if any events could be doubled up on and run twice in the same day.  I wonder where that fluff in my belly button comes from.   

Er, mind wandering, disregard that last wonder.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 03:22:00 AM by Swoop »

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 03:44:16 AM »
I hear ya Swoop.  I fly the SEC but numbers are usually pretty low.  Two frames ago we had about 30 total and it was a great time.  Last weekend, well I think there were maybe 13-14 players total and without radar, it was difficult to find some action.

FSO, I get up at 0430 to do it...  Sometimes I can't drag my butt out of bed but I always plan on making it.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 12:14:10 PM »
Question.  Why do you time the majority of US events at 10-11pm (the perfect time) but UK events are at 8pm (if ya got kids, that's bedtime....and therefore you ain't free til 9pm ish)?

I hear you.  I have twin 4 year old girls, and except for special arrangement, I'm not free until after about 9 pm.

I picked 8 pm so that Europe overall would have a time to play.  However, I'm not sure what the nationality makeup is at the 8 pm UK time.  Maybe we could make it 9 pm UK time and still have it work for Finland, Germany, etc.  I'll look into it.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 12:31:35 PM »
I hear you.  I have twin 4 year old girls, and except for special arrangement, I'm not free until after about 9 pm.

I picked 8 pm so that Europe overall would have a time to play.  However, I'm not sure what the nationality makeup is at the 8 pm UK time.  Maybe we could make it 9 pm UK time and still have it work for Finland, Germany, etc.  I'll look into it.

It would be 2200 for me and would work
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 01:29:07 PM »
For me, the current event start time is 22:00, so at the last event like Scenario It was a shift from 21:30-21:45 to get the squadron ready and stay awake until 1:00 am and finally go to sleep at 1:30am... So for me moving it 1 hour later would mean going to sleep at 2:30am... and here in Israel, the working week starts at Sunday...

Such change would make the participation in the Scenarios (3 hours event) almost impossible... and very problematic for events like SEC that would end at 1:00 am each time - for everyone living at GMT+2:00 (+3 at DST)

I clearly understand but it isn't that simple... moving the event to any position, somebody gets less favorable time... we all around the globe :)
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 02:23:36 PM »
And there is the reason UK events kick off at 8pm. :)

So....back to the original question of either moving or repeating US events to/at an earlier time?

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 04:39:16 PM »
And there is the reason UK events kick off at 8pm. :)

So....back to the original question of either moving or repeating US events to/at an earlier time?
I started answering your question about UK events, particularly TDI, this morning but never finished..... but it looks like that one has been answered to your satisfaction.  :)  One point I was going to make that as the hosting CM of the 8pm running of TDI, I didn't feel I would want to run the event much later as by the time it has finished, logs uploaded and results calculated and posted on the forum it is often at least 10.30 pm before I am done and I personally would not want to make that 11.30 pm.

As for other events running at an earlier time similar to TDI, I need to let you know that even TDI didn't always have an earlier running unless it happened to be on a weekend or a day when Brooke was not working.  Then a couple of years ago I saw a TDI I was interested in participating in and noticed it was only running at the later time; I posted in the thread asking why there was no earlier running for it.  The answer was simple.  A lack of CMs able to host at the earlier times.  I returned to the CM team specifically to do this event.  I would imagine that any attempt to run other events earlier in the day would have the same problem.  Even so, there are never many players who turn up for the earlier TDI - certainly nowhere near as many as those who turn up for the later running, and I think if other events had earlier runnings they would also suffer from very low numbers, unfortunately.   :(  I really wish we could get better numbers but it seems no amount of forum posting or in-game announcing can get more players to come.  If we could get the numbers up, it could be a different story..... if you have any ideas for improving attendance, we are all ears!   :aok
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline McShark

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 04:21:10 AM »
Is it too much off a hassle to run for example AHXRL twice at times that fit both sides?

I would do a final or whatever at 5 am but 4 races at 5 am plus training is a bit much to be asked I believe.

I quite understand FSO being on it's spot that it only can be run once but racing leage should be possible to run twice.

Next scenario will be on Saturday as well as BoB?
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence. -Charles Bukowski
Gleams the blade,Shines my Honor
Tour 19 - 163 McShark
Tour 163 -      Barkhorn

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 12:23:29 PM »
The next Scenario will be on Saturdays in June, running at about 3 pm Eastern US, 8 pm UK time, I believe.  It's a Pacific War scenario.