Author Topic: 3D Sound?  (Read 562 times)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
3D Sound?
« on: April 24, 2014, 04:26:59 PM »
I switched to a mono sound package to the 3D sound to work on the P38.  I thought I had it working before.  Is the 3D defunt?

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: 3D Sound?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 04:34:51 PM »
I switched to a mono sound package to the 3D sound to work on the P38.  I thought I had it working before.  Is the 3D defunt?
3D sound is screwed for engine placement, the 3D effect is from OTHER planes

For example a P51 flys from your 3 to 9 you would hear that with the right to left fade in and out, a stereo soundpack would not reproduce this correctly.
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 04:48:19 PM »
3D sound is screwed for engine placement, the 3D effect is from OTHER planes

For example a P51 flys from your 3 to 9 you would hear that with the right to left fade in and out, a stereo soundpack would not reproduce this correctly.

It used to be that way.  The sound system, in the game, will detect and merge the stereo channels to a mono sound.  It just adds more overhead for sounds.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 05:36:07 PM »
It used to be that way.  The sound system, in the game, will detect and merge the stereo channels to a mono sound.  It just adds more overhead for sounds.
Does this mean stereo packs work as intended or not at all?
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 06:03:43 PM »
I was wondering about that too.

Thanks for the help.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 11:48:43 AM »
As far as I understand the mechanics of game sounds, they should always be monaural. Why, you might ask. Well, lets think real life things first. If you sit in the cockpit of a plane, you hear the engine roaring in front of you. One engine, not two. Or in case of a P38 two engines, one on the left and another one on the right. If another aeroplane passes you, you'll hear one aeroplane coming and going. As all of you surely know, mono stands for one and stereo for two. The idea of stereo is to give kind of a location for one single sound source like an engine. Now if you have a stereo sound of an engine, it most probably is locating the engine right in front of you as if you were in the cockpit. Or in case of another plane and engine you'd be head-on with the other plane. What if you turn your virtual head? Where would a stereophonic sound be? Either way off or still sounding like the sound source were right in front of you.

It's the game engine that calculates where each single sound source is located in the virtual 3D landscape, which way it's moving and even making note of how your virtual head with the two virtual ears moves. The result is a stereophonic, or even better, a multichannel sound telling you aurally what to expect and from where.

Regular stereo sound recordings are intended for giving an illusion of a 3D soundscape where the listener is sitting still in one position. The best results can be reached either with eyes closed or looking at a picture or movie taken at the recording spot like e.g. in a concert or at a theatre.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 12:48:45 PM »
Does this mean stereo packs work as intended or not at all?

They should work, but there will be a CPU hit.

We gave up trying to force the issue with the sound pack guys.  Some of them are convinced we do not know what we are talking about, so HiTech just fixed it on the back side.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 04:58:40 PM »
Thanks Skuzzy for squaring that away.