Author Topic: New Computer Setup  (Read 823 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: New Computer Setup
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2014, 03:06:28 PM »
Avoid installing McAfee or Norton!!  They are nothing but virus programs themselves!
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Raven3

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2014, 06:38:32 PM »
Beware the included Mcafee 30 day free trial anti-virus program. AV programs generally don't play nice with AH. Personally I would uninstall it.

Ordered it sans any virus protection. Also ordered it with Windows 7. Aren't you running any virus protection/firewall? What are youguys using?
Fortitudo et Decus

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2014, 06:49:43 PM »
I think you'll find the trial AV installed but it won't be active yet. I use the free program you can download from Microsoft,  MSE. I don't expect anything to work well enough so I try to stick to safe sites and don't open suspect  emails.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2014, 08:54:03 PM »
Ordered it sans any virus protection. Also ordered it with Windows 7. Aren't you running any virus protection/firewall? What are youguys using?

I use Avira. It's lite weight but is updated often. I'm pretty careful about my surf but the wife isn't as good and it has caught a number of things BEFORE they could cause trouble. I like it, it works, and it's free.

http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2014, 03:34:04 AM »
I've been using Avast for over a decade without any major problems. There used to be some issues some months ago about it being too eager to quarantine totally legit programs, but that can easily be avoided by putting them on the bypass list. If some program gets quarantined, the bypassing option is given while reverting the said program from the quarantine. For a lightweight version of Avast I recommend the custom install and unchecking every unnecessary module. The FileShield is basically the only one you should leave checked, resulting something like MSE with options to completely shut the program down e.g. during gameplay.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2014, 06:52:23 AM »
ESET Nod32 is about as non-intrusive as it gets.  I would say it is the best A/V for gamers.

That is not an endorsement.  I do not use any A/V software on my computers.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2014, 10:32:39 AM »
I run Avast free, in silent mode, and use Malwarebytes and Glary's Utilities  for malware, computer clean up, etc.
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline Wizer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2014, 07:38:05 AM »
ESET Nod32 is about as non-intrusive as it gets.  I would say it is the best A/V for gamers.

That is not an endorsement.  I do not use any A/V software on my computers.
I have used
ESET Nod32 for the past 4 years without any problems.