Author Topic: Media Prioritization - Linksys AE6400  (Read 2021 times)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Media Prioritization - Linksys AE6400
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2014, 10:45:46 AM »
You don't need my answer after the previous two with explanations and suggestions.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2014, 04:47:00 PM »
You don't need my answer after the previous two with explanations and suggestions.
I appreciate all of the answers.  :salute

By the way, I was on today, Sunday, from approximately 3:00 pm to 4:40 pm without incident. Could it have been Kaspersky?

It seems to come and go. To plug in will require getting a comfy seat and a card table nearer to the router. Much harder to get will be permission from wife.
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2014, 03:40:55 AM »
I appreciate all of the answers.  :salute

By the way, I was on today, Sunday, from approximately 3:00 pm to 4:40 pm without incident. Could it have been Kaspersky?

It seems to come and go. To plug in will require getting a comfy seat and a card table nearer to the router. Much harder to get will be permission from wife.
Yes, it could have been Kaspersky, especially if it had been configured to do some scheduled maintenance or simply updating itself. On my Avast settings I have updates automated, cloud updates disabled and I always do a manual update and a reboot before starting AH to avoid problems.

About plugging, how come you would need more furniture? You know that you can use cable lengths up to 300 ft/100 metres between two devices, don't you? In case you'd need longer runs, a simple router between every 300 ft of cable will do the trick. Use cable clamps to attach the cable neatly along the skirting and choose the colour of the cable accordingly to keep your wife happy. Feng shui, you know...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 07:59:21 PM »
Three days ago, I disconnected five times in forty minutes. So, I connected my laptop to the router with an ethernet cable.

In eight hours over two days, the only disco was a thunderstorm induced power outage. Turns out that routers and modems need electricity.

Wireless really is that bad.
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2014, 06:41:02 AM »
It is just inconsistent.  Everything in the environment can impact a wireless connection.  It is simply the nature of the beast.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 06:47:42 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2014, 05:21:11 PM »
It is just inconsistent.  Everything in the environment can impact a wireless connection.  It is simply the nature of hte beast.

I work in the IT periphery world, and unfortunately wireless is not always the answer. It is great in some applications, but the transfer of data is VERY susceptible to interference. Something as simple as a wireless RF (Radio Frequency) telephone set can cause the complete shutdown of wireless communications.

We did an installation of wireless microphones in a banquet area during the winter, everything was working great for about 6 months. Then we get a call saying NONE of the mics are working. Thinking primarily that the failure must be due to a power surge of some kind we took the system down and tested it in our shop... Everything worked as expected.  :bhead So we then took the system back to the installation and NOTHING worked.

Long story short, we realized that on the roof top of our installation area were 3 industrial sized air conditioning units that were throwing a TONNE of Radio Frequency & Electromagnetic Interference (during hot summer days) which completely destroyed the data being carried on our wireless microphone frequencies.  Moral of the story, where possible, a physical connection is optimal for data transfer.  :ahand
56th Fighter Group -  Jug Life

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2014, 06:51:00 AM »
RFI and magnetic fields are the bane of the wireless connection.

Want to drive someone nuts, place a wireless device on a metal shelf that happens to resonant at the same frequency. :)
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2014, 09:48:41 AM »
RFI and magnetic fields are the bane of the wireless connection.

Want to drive someone nuts, place a wireless device on a metal shelf that happens to resonant at the same frequency. :)

That's dirty sir.... dirty....  :salute
56th Fighter Group -  Jug Life