Author Topic: My First Pickup Missions Plan ?s  (Read 428 times)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
My First Pickup Missions Plan ?s
« on: June 02, 2014, 07:12:09 AM »
I want to delve into planning Pickup missions.  I have a few questions.

Anyway to prevent the dreaded launch from a hanger?  It seems to happen like every third mission I go on.

I want to use a Vox channel but don't want to step on some of the big squad channels like the Devil dogs.  Is there a range of channels that is rarely used? 

I have never seen anyone use the "Mission" channel shown in the Vox list with the squad channel.  Does it not work?

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
Re: My First Pickup Missions Plan ?s
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 07:34:38 AM »

Anyway to prevent the dreaded launch from a hanger?  It seems to happen like every third mission I go on.

I want to use a Vox channel but don't want to step on some of the big squad channels like the Devil dogs.  Is there a range of channels that is rarely used? 

I have never seen anyone use the "Mission" channel shown in the Vox list with the squad channel.  Does it not work?

Create and save your mission. 
Be sure that when loading a saved mission, you check everything to ensure that the preferred runway is selected.  Default is hanger

Check the AH Help web pages , I think that may list the common Vox ranges.  When I used to created missions, I always used the field number as the suggested Vox channel:

A5 = Vox 105, A224 = Vox 124 and so on.  Not perfect, but workable.

As far as I know it works fine, the problem was that once someone was shot down they were no longer part of the mission and  lost the ability to tune Mission.   Remember that at any time there might be several missions happening at the same time and both are using Mission and the system keeps them separate and discreet.  But once you are shot down, your no longer part of that original mission package.

As a side note, at one time, AH had a rather robust mission editor, however, for whatever reason , it was dummied  down.   At one time you could assign routes , altitudes , targets, VOX channels  all from one form ,  AH will insist that the same thing can be accomplished with todays tool, however, as you noticed, few people produce formal missions.       
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 09:50:36 AM »
Thanks for the Help Traveler.  That goes a long way towards getting me started.

I Think I understand on what you are saying on the hanger launch.  If I save a mission on say a medium field and use both runways but then change to a small field, one of the plane sets will launch from the hanger since only one runway is available.

Field numbers for Vox channels is a really good idea.

Offline Schen

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 08:39:15 PM »
I sugest you tune the vox you plan to use, if no one is on it it should be good. If there is a squad on you can ask to run a mission on there vox and heck ask if they want in. My two cents
"Fighting in the air is not sport. It is scientific murder"
           Captain Edward V. 'Eddie' Rickenbacker

---Committing scientific murder since tour 157---
                       :devil

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 11:57:13 AM »

When you have a flight selected, note the directional radio buttons? The center is Hanger launch, whereas the remaining compass directions are the available runways to launch from... Just as you click SW when launching a single sortie, select the SW radio button for a given flight to launch on that runway.... You will notice that bombers don't always have the same number of runway launch directions as fighters, just as if you were launching a single sortie (bomber or fighter)

I have a couple basic missions saved which I edit for the airfield origin, runway launch directions, and loadout based on mission parameters. Also, be sure to note the "formation" checkbox if launching bomber flights, it's embarrassing launching 8 pilots with only 8 b-17's lifting...
56th Fighter Group -  Jug Life

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 12:48:26 PM »
I got a feeling the missions I have been on with hanger launchs are people's old saved missions that haven't been updated for the field selected as Y'all noted.

Thanks DubiousKB for the help.  Especially about the bomber formation reminder.  I was sure to screw that up.

Thanks Schen too for your reply.  A good idea forsure.