Author Topic: 30mm tater.  (Read 3983 times)

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
30mm tater.
« on: June 02, 2014, 04:09:45 PM »
So lately i have heard on 3 occasions, that the 30mm tater needs to be remodeled and is in the process of being remodeled.

Is there any truth in this?

whats wrong with it now?

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: 30mm tater.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 04:19:45 PM »
There are some complaints about it not doing the damage it's suppose to. A number of complaints have been filed, but as far as I know only one film sent in.

If HTC finds an issue they will fix it, if not it will stay the same.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 04:19:51 PM »
So lately i have heard on 3 occasions, that the 30mm tater needs to be remodeled and is in the process of being remodeled.

Is there any truth in this?

whats wrong with it now?

There was an old bug that prevented cannon round hits (30mm in particular but also affected 20mm and 37mm rounds as well) from being detected properly.  It seems as though this bug, after being fixed awhile back has reared its ugly head again.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 04:36:19 PM »
30mm proof spit 16s boys! :O
See Rule #4

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 04:55:47 PM »
i have noticed fighters taking a tater and fly away seemingly unscathed (but have only seen that happen 3-4x over past 3 yrs and the 100+ other times fighters fall apart or pop).

Offline Biggamer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 06:06:47 PM »
i hit a LA-7 with a 262 and he did not die he was smoking so i assume his engine was out i don't know i have not looked at the film but he still made it home to land
G3-MF

Offline WEZEL

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 06:17:05 PM »
i hit a LA-7 with a 262 and he did not die he was smoking so i assume his engine was out i don't know i have not looked at the film but he still made it home to land

If that was Friday or saturday morning[cant remember the day] it was me  :devil all 3 guns and a oil hit  :joystick:

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 06:20:13 PM »
I have noticed this as well. Snuck up on a 47 while the pilot was AFK, planted a tater square into his tail section. His bird stayed in the air, and when he came back he shot me down.  :bhead
IMHO he should have lost his whole tail, not just one stablizer.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline Biggamer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 06:32:13 PM »
If that was Friday or saturday morning[cant remember the day] it was me  :devil all 3 guns and a oil hit  :joystick:
it was over the weekend i got the film but have not looked at it i will at somepoint ;)
G3-MF

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 06:47:06 PM »
I have noticed this as well. Snuck up on a 47 while the pilot was AFK, planted a tater square into his tail section. His bird stayed in the air, and when he came back he shot me down.  :bhead
IMHO he should have lost his whole tail, not just one stablizer.

If you hit just one stabilizer with one 30mm round, why would the whole tail come off?  Remember, the Mk108 30mm cannon has a great deal of dispersion, even at relatively close ranges, meaning you could center your pipper on his tail, see the big pumpkin hit-sprite on his tail-section, but the round could easily have impacted on either horizontal stabilizer.

I find dead-six tater-shooting particularly difficult for this reason, and prefer to set up some off-angle to get a wing hit, if I can, especially on robust birds like the P-47.

<S>
Ryno

« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 06:50:58 PM by Kingpin »
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 06:51:23 PM »

If you hit just one stabilizer with one 30mm round, why would the whole tail come off?  Remember, the Mk108 30mm cannon has a great deal of dispersion, even at relatively close ranges, meaning you could center your pipper on his tail, see the big pumpkin hit-sprite on his tail-section, but the round could easily have impacted on either horizontal stabilizer.

I find dead-six tater-shooting particularly difficult for this reason, and prefer to set up some off-angle to get a wing hit, if I can.

<S>
Ryno

Yup, deflection.  Or if dead six, aim between the pilot seat and aileron (think it's called the wing root?). 
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 06:59:11 PM »
Ah, that explains it. The sprite was right in the center of the tail section from my POV, but I suppose it might not have connected exactly in that spot.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 08:52:15 PM »
The yellow is more of an after burst of the round impact. If you were to look at pics of 30mm hits in high cons, you might notice a small hit sprite that looks like one of a 50 cal rounds before the "cheese puff". From a dead six attack this is something you won't see. :old:
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 09:50:10 PM »
I've not ever had issues with the 37mm or the 30mm not working.

Nothing needs to be remodeled with either caliber of weapon.

Most of the gripes come from people who think they are hitting with the "tater", but instead they are hitting with the smaller caliber weapon. 
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2014, 10:21:42 PM »
Well I never use the MG's with the tater, so i think it was just my misperception.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows