Author Topic: 30mm tater.  (Read 4015 times)

Offline TheCrazyOrange

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Re: 30mm tater.
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2014, 12:02:45 AM »
Taters still mauling things for me. When I can hit away.

Offline Biggamer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2014, 12:48:16 AM »
I've not ever had issues with the 37mm or the 30mm not working.

Nothing needs to be remodeled with either caliber of weapon.

Most of the gripes come from people who think they are hitting with the "tater", but instead they are hitting with the smaller caliber weapon. 
so your telling me a 262 has smaller guns ok, i am not complaining at all just saying a LA7 took a tater and went home to land is all sir  :salute
G3-MF

Offline Frodo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2014, 08:18:13 AM »

Most of the gripes come from people who think they are hitting with the "tater", but instead they are hitting with the smaller caliber weapon. 

:rolleyes:   I wonder how often you use the 30mm? It does seem very random though, but it is definitely happening. 

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,361888.0.html

JG11 

TEAMWORK IS ESSENTIAL....IT GIVES THE ENEMY SOMEONE ELSE TO SHOOT AT.

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2014, 09:33:37 AM »

I've had many planes take a lot of punishment from 30mms. I had an f6f that took 3  "puffs".  I fire my secondary (tater) separate from the MG's.  The most memorable one to me, was getting a beautiful deflection shot on an a6m2.  I was diving from his 9 o clock high, and hit him from prop to tail with 30mm, and he lived to shoot me down  :lol .   
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2014, 09:38:47 AM »

The hit sprites from the 12.7 and the tater are so different I don't think very many people are confusing them.
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2014, 09:47:50 AM »
:rolleyes:   I wonder how often you use the 30mm? It does seem very random though, but it is definitely happening. 

I've never had a problem differentiating between the big "cheese poof" of the 30 mm and the smaller "pop pops" of the 20mm when flying the 110G. I've also encountered situations where I clearly appeared to score a 30 hit on something that should have gone down (A6M) but didn't. I just write it off as lag because it's pretty rare.

And yes.... "cheese poof" and "pop pops" are technical terms.  :)
The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2014, 10:22:40 AM »
and yes.... "cheese poof" and "pop pops" are technical terms.  :)

:rofl

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2014, 01:56:48 PM »
The engine of most aircraft will take a tater hit without destroying the whole plane. The engine is usually dead though. Don't aim for that big solid block of iron up front.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2014, 02:02:22 PM »
The engine of most aircraft will take a tater hit without destroying the whole plane. The engine is usually dead though. Don't aim for that big solid block of iron up front.

If memory serves I was behind the target, but its possible I admit.  Like I said, not a big deal to me.  If one doesnt do it, use three!  :D

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2014, 03:22:27 PM »
Taters are easy to aim from dead six, just gotta lead.  :cool:
Top Gun

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2014, 03:30:32 PM »
I've never taken a 30mm hit and lived, that I know of, in fighters.  I did take a 37mm hit in a Spit XIV and live once (radiator got holed), but 30mm do a right proper job on me.

I haven't used the 30mm enough to really comment, but in my limited experience it works.  I have a couple memorable 30mm kills.  I do know that there was a bug that effectively caused duds.  Hopefully it hasn't been brought back to life.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2014, 06:09:14 PM »
Yes sir it does indeed work....but maybe I don't get as upset on the very rare occations it doesn't because I'm in a 110 and not a K4 ie I have a lot more to toss out in if the first one doesn't do the job. I personally think that's why I seem to be a better shot with it in a 110 as well. I tend to be relaxed and not as worried about hitting on the first shot as opposed to the K4 where I'm thinking about making EVERY ROUND count.

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2014, 06:23:25 PM »
Yes sir it does indeed work....but maybe I don't get as upset on the very rare occations it doesn't because I'm in a 110 and not a K4 ie I have a lot more to toss out in if the first one doesn't do the job. I personally think that's why I seem to be a better shot with it in a 110 as well. I tend to be relaxed and not as worried about hitting on the first shot as opposed to the K4 where I'm thinking about making EVERY ROUND count.

Makes sense.

I wonder how good I will be in the 262.  :devil
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2014, 07:11:28 PM »

A couple of things:

First, I said "most" people who complain are seeing hit sprites of smaller caliber weapons.  Not all.

Secondly, I use the 30mm quite a bit actually.  In the 109G-14 in most cases.  Sometimes though I do use it in the 109K-4 and 190A-8 when bomber hunting.The 190A-8 is real tricky, three different caliber of guns = three very different trajectories so I rarely do not fire far out of convergence (400).

Thirdly, as I said I don't seem to have a problem with the 30mm.  Ever.  I hit and the target gets damaged or destroyed.  I don't use the 37mm much, I'll admit.  However, my memory serves me well and I cant recall ever hitting something with the 37mm and not noticing major effects. 
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.