Author Topic: my first stick  (Read 1250 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: my first stick
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2014, 02:16:45 AM »
If you fly the P-38 you won't have to worry about trim because the propellers spin opposite directions. With an aircraft with one propeller the spin creates a rotating airflow that twists the aircraft and pushes against the tail. You can correct this with the stick and rudder so that you fly straight. To avoid having to hold yourself straight, trim tabs can be adjusted to correct the twisting airflow from the propeller. This lets you fly straight with less work.

The auto pilot modes will set the required trim. If you use the auto pilot for level flight and turn it off you will still be trimmed for level flight at that speed. The required trim changes as speed changes. When you slow down or speed up you should re-trim. Combat trim sets the trim like auto pilot and also changes the trim for you as the speed changes.

An important difference between combat trim and setting trim with auto pilot is that combat trim just looks at your speed and ignores flaps. This means that combat trim does not set the correct elevator trim when using flaps and you will be tail heavy.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 04:14:02 AM »
Just another variation, but what works for me is:

1: fire all
2. fire secondary
3: flaps open
4: flaps closed
5: Zoom in gunsite, and still use keyboard [ & ] to adjust zoom from time to time
6: I can't remember, maybe I should use if for something lol
7. look down to the left
8: look down to right
9: look left and up
10: look right and up
11. Fire machine guns only
12. again probably should use that for something

hat switches are standard

I like where I have the flaps the most out of this whole set up, it's fast for me. For WEP and kp views I have adjusted to my keyboard.

GL and Welcome!
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 08:07:08 AM »
my next question is what is the use of combat trim and how it effects dogfighting and general flight.

Means different things for different planes but its definitely something you want mapped cause you'll be using it a lot. Its a way to trim quickly if not "exactly" how you need to be. Most of all its a way to trim quickly for more accurate gunning. Some use it more then others and some players dont use it at all, and, has been mentioned setting level flight auto pilot trims you too.

But in a dynamic dogfight I use it a lot to set trim quickly. Then I have manual trim mapped to a wheel on my X52 and often to combat trim off and use manual to trim up when climbing and turning, then hitting combat trim when Im putting guns on the target.

When dive bombing I dont use combat trim at all and only manually trim.

You'll find your best use for it given time as no two players use it the same. Good luck and welcome.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2014, 08:41:45 AM »
Combat trim uses a software subroutine within Aces High to try to automate trim settings. If you leave it on, your trim controls will generally be pretty close to what they should be anytime your airplane is flying without flaps and within predictable parameters. As a beginner, you will benefit from Combat trim. Most beginners leave it on all the time.

There are some legends about Combat trim helping you to turn tighter (or preventing you from turning tighter). Ignore those stories: combat trim just helps you keep your joystick centered.

But because it is a logical, programmed tool resident in the software, it isn't very good a handling illogical, uncontrolled flight. When you are approaching a spin or a stall, flying with full flaps, or pressing your speed or climb outside of normal parameters (commonplace in combat), it will fight you, because it will be trying to return you to routine, controlled flight. Advanced players eventually learn when to turn it off. But that will come later. For now, I'd leave it on.
 :salute
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 08:50:02 AM by bbosen »

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2014, 12:41:44 PM »
well here is how i set it up
1 fire all
2 fire secondary
3 switch to secondary
4 wep
5 combat trim
6 auto pilot level
7 flaps down
8 flaps up
9 gear up / down
10 clipboard
11 radio mic (t)
12 radio mic (f12)

my second mission worked out a bit better after getting a check 6 on a plane diving on me i was able to pull up  using right rudder make a short roll to burn energy then loop back on to his 6 follow him using the rudder dive left pull up a bit to level and blast him out of the sky.( a maneuver that would of been hard using the old mouse) and although it was my only kill i did survive 2 more check 6 calls and land with only breaking my prop  safely lol. i have decided to use the stick for flight only  and use the mouse for gv and gunnery.
 my next question is stall limiter check or uncheck?

1 Of these days you will regret shooting me down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R4qb6_RPUc

Offline kano

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2014, 01:10:40 PM »
uncheck the stall limiter it will take a while to get use to but as youre getting used to your stick as well it will be better in the long run.

The stall limiter stops you from pushing the plane to its very edges of its performance envelope while turning pulling out of dives and such like.

I flew with it on for 3 or 4 months then i turnt it off it was like learning the game again just be smooth and progressive on your controls, dont just yank the stick and listen for the stall buzzer.  :salute

EatG
The Few

S/L No 32 squadron BoB 2013

Eats Eagle

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2014, 12:46:42 PM »
Mike you'll be using combat trim a lot of you get a yen for our tank buster aircraft. We have a nice assortment of GV killers with heavy cannon and often you wont be able to get perfect trim when you dive on one. I suggest you start with an IL2 as the NS-37s are very effective, you get a lot of bullets with it, its a stable platform, and fairly tough. Set convergence to 250 to 300, set your combat trim before you dive, and come down on the tank as vertical as possible. You really have to be trimmed for accurate shooting most of all when trying to pick off a little tank with just a few volleys of heavy cannon.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2014, 11:22:01 AM »
<snip>
Button 1: Fire all
Button 2: fire secondary
Button 3: secondary select <at some point I realized its so easy/fast to find the backspace key, that I don't map it anymore>
Button 4: zoom toggle
button 5: has switched a few times but has been tail hook toggle and combat trim toggle <same, but when I realized how frequently I manual trim and turn CT back on, compared to operating the tail hook, it hasn't changed since
button 6: WEP
button 7: flaps up
button 8: flaps down
button 9: gear toggle
button 10:clipboard minimize/maximize <similar to the backspace key, I think even Stevie wonder after a 5th could find the esc key on the keyboard in a pinch>
button 11: radio vox local (F12)
button 12: radion vox channel (T)
Hat switch is used for all views

Just inserting some opinions to add thought to what I call evolving your stick layout, something worth experimenting with often.  Very similar to mine though
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.