Author Topic: Change the effects of downed HQ  (Read 1440 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Change the effects of downed HQ
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 12:40:24 PM »
  Come on Lusche, what ya got?

Nothing
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2014, 01:43:01 PM »
The HQ isnt down very often, its a few % of the total time. It takes a lot of time to perform a drop on HQ and most of the time its back up again by the time u land afterwards. Its not a big deal and it takes less effort to resup it than to kill it.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2014, 02:59:00 PM »
Zimme you must not be a Knight, or possibly this occurs more often when numbers are low (when the chance for enough action to resupply is even worse).  In any account, anytime that the HQ is down, no matter how "infrequent" you say it is, the effects are devastating.

Do they really have to be?

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2014, 03:12:25 PM »
I remember one evening, first our HQ was killed, together with close by VH to prevent M8 run's (educated guess).

We started to fly in C47s
Bish had left fighter protection ( and where 30 more in numbers) over our HQ, after their initial success against our unprotected C47, we threw them out of there.
This took some 10-15 minutes.
We started flying C47's again until it was open.
2 minutes after field was resupplied HQ, HQ was down again

Bishops owned fields not that far off from our HQ at that particular time.

I logged.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2014, 03:41:26 PM »
The loss of all dar bars is not a good gameplay mechanic. Does it "punish" the defending country and gives an advantage to the side that downed the HQ? Sure, but it also ruins the game to the HQless players and makes them logout or waste their precious online time. It is worse if you have just logged on and see an empty clipboard map. I am also sure that this is very unwelcoming to new players that now have no idea what to do. It is bad for gameplay and for keeping players.

The darbars is what allows players to find the fight. In an age of 255 field maps and 150 players online 1/5 of which are in tower and 1/4 of which are in GVs, it simply makes players fly around aimlessly, till they decide F it! and logout. Flying C47s to HQ multiple times to get it back up is not what I want to do in this game. This is not a @#$% RPG that makes the game like a job. On smaller maps it is easier to find a fight, but HQ gets knocked out much more often due to the shorter ranges to it from enemy bases. It is bad anyway.

So, what should be the penalties of losing HQ? anything except preventing players from fighting! I don't really care if it completely prevents any structure from respawning or it means instantly losing the war. However, for practical purposes here are some ideas:

* Darbar should not be removed EVER.
* Let it remove all dot dar (friendly also) from the HQless country. That is fine and no friendly dar is a big minus, but still alows one to know if there is a fight somewhere in the sector.
* Halve the effect of resupply both by players and by AI convoys as long as HQ is down. This will give the strategic advantage to the other counteries and make HQ important to the strategy (aka "win the war") players.

I bolded the key points.  Outstanding observations and suggestions.  +100  :aok
The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2014, 04:35:11 PM »
This is one of those wishes, that will continue to echo, with very few objections.

Let's rewind.  A couple of years ago, there were wishes that the strategic game play be given some "teeth".  I was absolutely in favor of this, and even stated my reasoning that risking slow moving bombers running deep into enemy territory to "flick the light switch" for a few moments was not worthy of the effort.

Since then, as I was away from the game for some time, I return to find the current state of factory strats and downtimes in existence, and applaud HTC for their ingenuity.  However, THE BALANCE moved too far  in the favor of the STRAT ATTACKERS.  This is something that can easily be remedied, and truly needs to be addressed ahead of any upcoming visual changes to the game.

There are entire threads discussing the balance aspect and what it means in terms of encouraging interaction that is the basis for online play.  Granted some interaction has to do with strikes on non player controlled targets, but frontline action should not be forced to suffer, nor players frustrated by extended outages of radar clues for where interaction shall occur.

Offline pallero

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2014, 04:39:42 PM »

Offline TheCrazyOrange

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2014, 08:57:52 PM »
Also, if each base has its own radar tower, shouldn't radar at your takeoff base be independent of the HQ?

Either way, it's bad for game play, and it's bad for noobs, which is even worse. If the vets don't like it, too bad; they aren't going to leave over the effect of killing the HQ.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2014, 09:22:41 PM »
More simple: log off and hope for another better day in AH.

I have done that.  specially in the small maps where hq is down every 5 minutes.  no point defending it.  I just log off, go play wot and come back next day.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2014, 07:54:21 AM »
I have done that.  specially in the small maps where hq is down every 5 minutes.  no point defending it.  I just log off, go play wot and come back next day.

semp

And yet folks are calling for small maps all the time???  Am I missing something here?

I say screw the small maps, and just put the large ones on Hiatus.  Medium maps appear to be where it's at! :)

Now a question I keep forgetting the answer to (save the obvious ones):

Which are "Small" Maps?

Which are "Medium" Maps?

Which are "Large" Maps?
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2014, 09:13:33 AM »
Which are "Large" Maps?

Compello, Ozkansas, Tagma - 20x20 sectors

Which are "Small" Maps?

Basically all others, at 10x10 sectors - though a map like beta2 is effectively using even a lot less than that for its terrrain.

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2014, 09:25:04 AM »
Compello, Ozkansas, Tagma - 20x20 sectors

Basically all others, at 10x10 sectors - though a map like beta2 is effectively using even a lot less than that for its terrrain.

So we do not have any "Medium" maps... :(  I thought Crater MA was a "Medium" map, and I thought the "Large" maps were bigger. :lol  I never did really count out the sectors.  I was thinking large maps were 40x40 or something. 
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline alskahawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2014, 09:30:09 AM »
 Downing the HQ is an annoyance. Does nothing for the game.

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2014, 09:36:21 AM »
+1 :aok
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2014, 11:20:12 AM »
More simple: log off and hope for another better day in AH.

:lol Reading is so VERY essential
Top Gun